It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Bush attacked by Cicadas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

George Bush attacked by Cicadas

Had to get this link up here, it's a great page. The Cicadas should be attacking Bush! If he has his way, there will be no enviroment left for the bugs to live in. . .

"The FBI has been picking up alot of noise from the cicadas recently, Rumsfeld said. "Most of it was just a buzzing, but there was also some clicking and chirping."

I think this quote has further resonance, beyond comedic value. . .

[edit on 6/7/2004 by earthtone]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
First, your assertion that Bush is destroying the world is extremely flawed hysteria. Second, it is the year for those noisy little critters to be out, and they are out, indeed! I suppose everyone is the enemy of the environment, huh?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The nature of the Mud-Pit is to encourage heated political discussion and debate on topics that are often argued with intense passion.

this doesnt look like a debate to me nor even a discussion...

looks like another "lets make fun of bush" thread.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Bwahahahaha!!!!

Okay... I liked it! I thought it was fun satire, particularly given the way those things divebomb folks at times. And great use of a news photo.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Bwahahahaha!!!!

Okay... I liked it! I thought it was fun satire, particularly given the way those things divebomb folks at times. And great use of a news photo.

then maybe it belongs in the jokes forum???

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
First, your assertion that Bush is destroying the world is extremely flawed hysteria.

Bush Opens Door to More Coal Burning
Bush Backtracking on Cleaner Air
Bush declares war on environmentDestroying the Environment in the Name of National Security
This is also a really good site for tracking Bush's treatment of the enviroment.
[www.bushgreenwatch.org...]Bush Green Watch[/url]

This is also very relevant, i am an acting member of Stop esso..
Stop Esso
Little snippet
It is the power behind Bush's throne
Esso gave $1.376 million to the Republicans in the 2000 election cycle - more than any other oil company. 91% of its political donations went to the Republicans. As soon as George Bush became president, he pulled the United States out of the Kyoto Protocol, the only international agreement to address global warming exactly the policy that Esso was promoting. As the USA is responsible for 25% of the pollution that causes global warming, this has a massive effect on the efficacy of the protocol.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

The nature of the Mud-Pit is to encourage heated political discussion and debate on topics that are often argued with intense passion.

this doesnt look like a debate to me nor even a discussion...

I used this entertaining article to highlight the treatment of the enviroment by the administration.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
and considering the links you posted after your initial post tells me you could have started this thread without the "humor". we do have a jokes forum for this sort of thing. i have no problem with the humor but where you posted it i dont agree with. doesnt make sense to me to start a discussion here when you start it with a joke. it just looks like you're making fun of the guy like so many others before you. in fact i suspect others will see your first post and think you're just making fun of him. the first post can set the tone of a thread.

it certainly looks like you're trying to make a point while making fun of the guy. but the making fun of him part sticks out more.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

but the making fun of him part sticks out more.

Indeed it does, but I came here for some good mud slinging, nothing less...*yeehaaaaww*

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

since you didnt see it or chose to ignore it the first time...

if you want to simply make fun of the guy find a more appropriate forum to do so. like a BTS only forum.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I want people to know that Bush's policy is actively damaging not only the enviroment of America, but the eviroment of the world. I feel passion towards this topic. Does that make it allowed now Mr. Prank monkey?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i didnt tell you to make light of the situation by making fun of him.

however you making fun of him and your issue over his environmental policies are mutually exclusive. i find it hard to take you seriously as i dont know if you're making fun of him or you're taking issue with his record on the environment. mixed signals means mixed interpretations.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Yes, I see this as a manner to get discussions going. I like it here, but hey, I'm just one guy. If consensus says move it, move it or have me do it. In the meantime, I'm responding!

Lookit, earthtone, easing overly restrictive regulations is not destroying the planet, it is allowing us to have some breathing room economically speaking. I don't expect we'll get back to the days when you could either cut the air over Birmingham, Alabama, or hang pictures on it, but not breathe it. I seriously doubt we'll go back to a Lake Erie that is clinically dead. Being sensible with regulations is not destroying the enviornment, its just being sensible.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

however you making fun of him and your issue over his environmental policies are mutually exclusive. i find it hard to take you seriously as i dont know if you're making fun of him or you're taking issue with his record on the environment. mixed signals means mixed interpretations.

I was waiting for someone, Mr. Crowne was a definate target, to say 'Bush loves the enviroment' or something, which I replie(d) to with all the valid links to argue my case. Nobody, as of yet, has shown me anything to disprove my point that Bush would eventually (if allowed to be in charge long enough) destroy the habitat for cicadas, and everyone. Our planet is sick, people like George Bush, and the people at Esso (and oil companies) are the poison.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
I was waiting for someone, Mr. Crowne was a definate target, to say 'Bush loves the enviroment' or something, which I replie(d) to with all the valid links to argue my case. Nobody, as of yet, has shown me anything to disprove my point that Bush would eventually (if allowed to be in charge long enough) destroy the habitat for cicadas, and everyone. Our planet is sick, people like George Bush, and the people at Esso (and oil companies) are the poison.

ok well elts start with a couple basic questions.

do you want a fight or a discussion? i ask this because you're looking for a specific response. do you want someone to respond so maybe either one or both of you could learn something from the other or do you just want to argue? i know if i just wanted to argue i would still be married.

bush doesnt and cant make world wide environmental policies, in fact any policies he makes pale incomparison to a lack of policies in other parts of the world. china being one that sticks out in my mind. now i find it honorable that you love the environment. so do i however one person is not and can not be held responsible for everything that goes wrong in this world. its REALLY easy to play the blame game but how about some solutions? bush isnt the problem, anything he does is a small drop in the bucket. i dont see anyone criticizing countries that have very few open looped policies or none at all but i see everyone coming down on america and bush like a hammer. we arent the only country and he isnt the only leader. any environmental problems that exist are not solely americas fault and its certainly not bush's fault. i know problems were around before ANY of the presidents from the past 30 years were elected...so how is it bush's fault? while i dont feel he is a friend of the environment i dont feel he is solely to blame for this.

if we're going to point fingers and lay blame lets do it to everyone else at fault, not just the ones you hate.

so again i ask, are you here to talk or fight? i'll talk but i'm not here to bash fight or insult.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Lookit, earthtone, easing overly restrictive regulations is not destroying the planet, it is allowing us to have some breathing room economically

Bush said this:
"Its going to cost jobs, I also dont appreciate the fact the United States bears the brunt of the goals of Kyoto while underdeveloped, developing nations are really excluded from cleaning up the environment."
Funny how the US bears the brunt of the treaty huh? Maybe its because 25% of the worlds enviromental pollution is caused by America.Don't you feel obligated, seeing as America is contributing so heavily to the eventual demise of our society, to actually be responsible for what is happening?

On your point about economics. Don't you think that the death of nearly all human life would be bad for the economy Thomas? It's sad people are unable to look beyond the next year of their lives, it's total ignorance.

Bush has insisted that it would be too expensive for the United States to follow the Kyoto treaty, which would require the nation to reduce its emission levels to 7 percent below 1990 levels by 2012.

Yet, the long-range environmental and economic consequences of abandoning the treaty will be far greater than the short-term expenses of adhering to it.

Many members of the business community recognize the stark realities of global warming. In 1998, at the World Economic Forum, the chief executive officers of the world's 1,000 largest corporations, declared that global climate change was the most critical problem facing humanity.

In addition, recent studies indicate that shifting to more efficient technologies and renewable energy sources will create hundreds of thousands of jobs for Americans, and that the United States' Gross Domestic Product will actually increase.

source

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Tone, you are a bit overboard, aren't you? Please, read Monkey-man's post above.

You really remind me of me, back when I was in junior high school, I mean to a T. Amazingly, not only have we survived the last few decades, but we have gotten better. Corporations are not only following EPA guidelines, but many of them are proud to be "green". Lakes and rivers are much cleaner than they were in the 70's, and so is the air. It appears that we are not destroying the world with pollution as you predict, at least not at the rapid pace you claim.

You say we are responsible for 25% of all pollution? That begs several questions. What pollution, how is that pollution measured, and what is the disposition of that pollution? For example, at the last place I worked, we used various forms of chemicals, such as Alodine, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, and other solvents and oils. Our company policy was if it might be contaminated, place it in the "day cans" not in general trash cans. These waste streams, starting at the day cans or used fluid bins, were tracked, all the way to wherever they were disposed, so that none would escape into the environment. Even floor sweepings were considered haz-mat, as they might have contaminants on them. As the Prankster pointed out, it is highly doubtful that Russian companies are the same, and I don't even know if China has an equivalant to the EPA. Furthermore, I have to admit that I am suspicious of the statistic of the U.S. creating 25% of the world's pollution.

The Kyoto protocol was more of a political instrument than an environmental one, aimed, in my opinion, at hobbling the U.S. economy for selfish reasons rather than protecting the environment. The U.S. produces a great deal. It feeds much of the world, and the U.N. loves to use our military whenever it wants. None of this can be done with the GDP of Algeria.

I have to ask a question, do you drive a vehicle that uses petroleum products? Why throw rocks at the oil business if you do?

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
here's a point that i dont think TC made. while earthtone is asserting that 25% of the world pollution comes from us is that recorded and known or just a guess? remember some parts of the world have few or no regulations or anyone to monitor them or record data. i know china has very few if any regulations and the government itself does things even though the people have spoken out against what they're doing. i know that in certain areas of china waste of all kinds gets dumped right into the rivers, garbage as well as human waste.

so while this 25% may be true it probably applies to those being watched, monitored and recorded, whereas if its compared to what the real amount of pollution is you'd probably see a different percentage for america. and as TC pointed out we produce a great deal so when you put it into perspective while we might produce a lot of pollutants (not to say this is excusable) we are also producing a great deal more than the majority of the world.

i also want to know what kind of pollution this is. water? ground? air? all of the above?

can we have a break down with some graphs or pie charts?

[edit on 7-6-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe we can crusade against volcanoes and cow farts. Those damn polluting bastards.

The only ones we are poisoning is ourselves

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I suppose global warming is gonna be Bush's fault too....

Let me take a moment of your time to point out what he has done for the environment:

In his free time...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join