It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 15th & 16th, A Rare Meeting of Planets and Spaceships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

This weekend, Venus and the crescent Moon are gathering in the western sky for a spectacular conjunction, and they're not alone. The International Space Station and, very likely, space shuttle Atlantis will join them for a rare four-way meeting of spaceships and planets over many locations.

The show begins at sunset when Venus and the Moon emerge from the twilight in close proximity to one another. The Moon will be exquisitely slender, a 5% crescent on Saturday, May 15th (sky map), and a slightly fatter 10% crescent on Sunday, May 16th (sky map). Between the horns of the crescent, a ghostly image of the full Moon can be seen. That's "Earthshine"—the light of our own planet reflected back toward us by the Moon's dark terrain. In conjunction with Venus, a crescent Moon with Earthshine is regarded as one of the most beautiful sights in the heavens.

Into this tableau of surpassing beauty comes a spaceship--and maybe two!

The International Space Station is due to fly over many US towns and cities this weekend. The ISS appears just after sunset, about the same time as the Venus-Moon encounter, and it glides slowly across the sky shining as brightly as Venus herself.

Continued at link

Source

So there it is folks. Be outside and watch this because I know I'm going to. Grab your cameras and share the pics you collect because I will definitely love to see them. What say ye?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yes I will do so as it is me 33 birthday weekend, lol thanks

2nd

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
S&F!!!
thanks for this find!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13