It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Video Games Affect Children, Conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I found this video on YouTube and was so disturbed that I thought I would post this video, the effects video games can have on people, are games made to be so addicting that they can make you go insane? Watch this video

m.http...://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc
The video is called greatest freakout ever, for some reason I can't get the link to work

[edit on 5/13/2010 by l neXus l]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by l neXus l

So what is the point of this thread??

edited to add: video games are used for military training, some of them have a point.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ive seen that video before and gotta say that kid can act and that part where he tries to shove the remote up his rear was hilarious ...

That kid in the video supposedly his mom cancelled his wow account and thats why hes acting like that , the game itself couldnt do that unless the person playing it allowed themselves to be controlled by the game ...

That youtube user has more vids of his bro acting out and they are all for attention and their 15 mins of fame or should i say shame ...

Concluding this message ill say video games wouldnt make someone act out like that unless they were stupid enough to let themselves be controlled ....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
is it the one of some guy just freaking out in his bedroom?
and what does it have to do with video games? hmm...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i had to write an essay on this in school as a kid, i remember that i got an A, i was and still am, an avid gamer, and it didnt affect any other aspects of my life, perfect grades, good job etc.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Slim
i had to write an essay on this in school as a kid, i remember that i got an A, i was and still am, an avid gamer, and it didnt affect any other aspects of my life, perfect grades, good job etc.

Exactly video games dont affect you unless you let them so people need to stop blaming video games and tv for their kids misbehaviour and look at the parents ...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
*Sigh* First off, this video is a hoax, these two kids have a series of videos were one brother pretends to film the other brother freaking out about something, without his knowledge. There are a lot of these types of videos floating around, most of them are done for laughs.

Second, just because we see some kid lose it over a game doesnt mean he has been driven completely mad because of video games. People lose their cool over tons of things all the time, it's just that those things arent hot button issues and there isnt a zillion videos on youtube of someone getting frustrated at a 10,000 piece puzzle.

Sorry, but the demonization of video games is baseless, as study after study has shown that there is no link between playing violent video games and overt, violent behavior. The same goes with music and what ever else the MSM drags out every time there's a school shooting.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Video games make you sane.

They do not make you insane.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If video games are supposed to drive you to insanity, then they do the exact opposite to me. I can release untold amounts of frustration and stress by playing a game.

It's like when people blame a certain genre of music for the ills of the world. Video games and music are not to blame!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If videogames makes you crazy, then I should be a much bigger loon than I am. I've been gaming since I got hold of brothers ZX Spectrum (anyone remember those?). And it took of when I got an Amiga 500... Ahh those were the days

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoboKy
*Sigh* First off, this video is a hoax, these two kids have a series of videos were one brother pretends to film the other brother freaking out about something, without his knowledge. There are a lot of these types of videos floating around, most of them are done for laughs.

Second, just because we see some kid lose it over a game doesnt mean he has been driven completely mad because of video games. People lose their cool over tons of things all the time, it's just that those things arent hot button issues and there isnt a zillion videos on youtube of someone getting frustrated at a 10,000 piece puzzle.

Sorry, but the demonization of video games is baseless, as study after study has shown that there is no link between playing violent video games and overt, violent behavior. The same goes with music and what ever else the MSM drags out every time there's a school shooting.

I mentioned that in my earlier post and yes the video was made with the intention of getting their 15 mins of fame and i gotta say the first video is hilarious though but still none the less very stupid at the same time .

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
People who are defending amoral television and video games are fools. Kids like to mimic what they see. Fact. People become desensitized to what they see repeatedly. Fact.

By showing mass violence, sex, drugs, etc..to people on a daily basis, we're becoming demoralized scumbags. People are more upset from someone smashing an Ipad than a human being

DESENSITIZATION

...and in this case, it leads to apathy, and demoralization of people.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I saw this, thought it was hilarious. I don't think we need to blame the vidya games, just the parents of bratty kids. It would not be surprising if this turned out to be an act.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Raustin]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

I saw this, thought it was hilarious. I don't think we need to blame the vidya games, just the parents of bratty kids. It would not be surprising if this turned out to be an act.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Raustin]

It was supposedly just an act so they could get attention and views on youtube ..

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
People who are defending amoral television and video games are fools. Kids like to mimic what they see. Fact. People become desensitized to what they see repeatedly. Fact.

By showing mass violence, sex, drugs, etc..to people on a daily basis, we're becoming demoralized scumbags. People are more upset from someone smashing an Ipad than a human being

DESENSITIZATION

...and in this case, it leads to apathy, and demoralization of people.

okay, first let's start with all the truly independent studies that have been done in the last fifteen years that clearly show no link between video games and behavior. the links to these reports are too numerous to list, but if you can't find them on your own then i will. then i think it would be necessary to point out the studies of seniors with cognitive decay that have been greatly helped by video games.

second, a child acting out in any manner, as any psychologist will tell you, is a symptom of a behavioral problem and not the direct result of any stimulus(no matter how malignant you believe it to be).

third, video games are the new convenient devil for the modern day. any societal problem that people are to lazy or ignorant to discover the true root of can easily be blamed on gaming. in the 30's it was alcohol. in the 50's it was rock & roll. in the 60's it was drugs. in the 70's it was comic books. in the 80's it was drugs(again). now it's video games.

for someone who is enlightened enough to have gravitated to this site, you show a supreme ignorance for the societal ebb and flow. society at large needs a demon to blame it's problem on because otherwise it would be forced to face them; and that is far too much work for the general public.

video games is one of the few industries keeping this nation afloat economically, and it's worth can be measured in billions of dollars annually.

and in the interest of full disclosure, yes, i am a gamer and proud to be. i love rock & roll too. i have been known to indulge in the occasional illicit substance. and there was a time when i enjoyed comics, but have since moved on to the graphic novel and non-fiction. so i guess in your eyes that makes me SATAN.

the point is, if you don't like something, that's fine; but don't use it as your personal scapegoat for what ails society. considering the millions of homes in just this country alone that have at least one game console in them, i'd say your in the ever-shrinking minority.

the real issue should be to discover what causes these people to act this way(usually the parents) and, once properly diagnosed, what can be done to solve the problem.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thedrizl

The reason there is no link between violent video games and violent behavior should be obvious. It's because the amoral behavior is broadcast EVERYWHERE and so they're already desensitized.

As for mentioning that video games help people with cognitive decay, no s**t Sherlock. That's irrelevant. I didn't say video games. I said violent video

When did I ever mention the devil, or evil? I didn't. I said it contributes to the desensitization and demoralization of people. This should be common sense.

Where the heck do you get that I don't like rock and roll, or using illicit substances, or any else of your jargon?

You know what, I'm going to call you out. I've heard people on ATS make the same claim that studies don't show a link..prove it. Show me some evidence for this.

I'll go first to prove my point.

here ya go

another

Studies linking violence and video games are a dime a dozen, but, according to The Washington Post, Iowa State University psychologist Craig Anderson claims that playing violent games definitively leads to violent thought and action. Set to be published in the American Psychological Association's (APA) March journal, his research claims that data from previous studies, of 130,000 people total, demonstrates that violent games lead to violent behavior no matter the culture, age or sex of a person
check it

[edit on 14-5-2010 by unityemissions]

[edit on 14-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
That video has been admitted by the maker to have been staged. As is every video related to the maker that deals with the same subject matter.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

This post is about the addictive nature, or lack therof, of video games and children, NOT about 1 certain you tube video.

The O.P. used it as an example. It is NOT the jist of the post.

What, are you an illegal alien or something?

Peace

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
People who will go on to commit violent acts will end up doing it no matter if they have played "violent" video games or not, with the exception of those with mental illnesses who are in my mind lumped in with those who receive messages from Satan urging them to commit crimes and what have you.

I deal with teenagers on a daily basis, and those teens play the same video games that I do. Far from turning them into societies next monsters, those games actually encourage them to play online with the express purpose of teamwork (a very valuable social skill I'm sure you'll agree), undertake fine art studies and leave them more interested in the formation of such games rather than the gruesome finishing move that Kratos has just delivered to a Cyclops. It breeds innovation within these youngsters, yet receives contempt from some MSM circles even though only a pitifully small amount of gamers having violent personalities in the first place.

Video games are not the root of the problem if they do so much good. I will say that parents should limit the amount of time spent per day games play on their childrens lives, because outside is good too. People are too quick to blame everything on these entertainment mediums when parenting is far more accountable.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Video games are great for increasing hand eye coordination, reflexes, critical thinking, strategical planning, memory. abstract thinking, and the list goes on.
mmo's like WoW and Guild Wars are great for social skills and team work.
Am I addicted to video games, maybe, but if I couldn't play I would probably miss the social aspect of the mmo's I play, and my guildies more than the actual game its self.
Physically I could never do in real life what I do in game, aka shoot, harm other players. I just couldn't do it unless my life was in danger.

new topics

top topics

join