Judges caught on tape discussing $$$ recieved to send kids to juvenile detention!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+22 more 
posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Two former county judges discussed receiving kickbacks and plotted perjury with the owner of a private juvenile detention facility, who recorded the conversations, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors on Tuesday filed a brief including transcripts of conversations they say were between attorney Robert Powell and former Luzerne County judges Michael Conahan and Mark Ciavarella.

The judges have been accused of taking $2.8 million in kickbacks from Powell and the builder of the detention center to send youth offenders to certain for-profit detention facilities. The scandal prompted the state Supreme Court to vacate thousands of juvenile convictions.

Prosecutors say the transcripts show the judges discussing the payments and scheming to commit perjury.

Feds: Attorney Taped Pa. Judges Discussing Plot

That is just wrong. What is up with all of the corruption in our legal system. I wonder how many kids were sent to this juvi school that really didn't deserve it. Lawyer up kids, because I see a settlement in your future!

"I'd never do anything to hurt you, but I never got the cash from anybody. That's the story, and you better stick to it," Conahan told Powell, who had become a federal informant and was recording the conversation, according to a transcript included in the brief.

"I'll stick to it," replied Powell, according to the transcript from the meeting, one of six conversations recorded between July and September 2008.

Corrupt SOB's

-E-

[edit on 13-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Seems there's a lot of problems with the judiciary here in PA.

Greenleaf calls for inquiry into Phila. courts

Saying the Philadelphia criminal justice system is "in disarray," State Sen. Stewart J. Greenleaf and eight fellow senators on Wednesday proposed to create a Senate advisory panel to investigate the city courts and recommend reforms in laws and court rules.

Greenleaf said he was acting in response to an Inquirer series on the city courts that he said "raised serious concerns."

As the newspaper reported in a series of articles in December, the Philadelphia courts are plagued by low conviction rates, rampant witness intimidation, a massive fugitive problem, and the dismissal of thousands of cases each year without a ruling on the merits.

"The biggest problem was the ineffectiveness of the criminal justice system," said Greenleaf, a veteran Republican who represents parts of Montgomery and Bucks Counties.

Read more: Philadelphia Inquirer

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The damn problem is our government decided to let private enterprise control the jails. That is why drug users are jailed and why these judges can get bought off. There are many things that I think the government shouldn't be controlling. This isn't one of them.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I don't think it's only your town. It's just they are getting caught!

-E-

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

How terrible. I bet the kids who were sent there unnecessarily were so scared.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Big revalation. The whole prison system is just another money making scheme.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
dont worry...those who pervert justice will be dealt with by the Almighty Judge....and it will be a most horrific and terrible punishment. However, theres a big part of me that would like to see these reprehensible scum get some serious ass kicking in the here and now.....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ikonspyre

You may get your wish. What does a corrupt judge + jail = ???
A good whooping probably!

-E-

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This was an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

In the episode he judge was getting kick backs for sending kids to a private hospital.

They finally busted her after messing with one of the shows characters.

Good episode.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Gee and they wonder why the general public don't trust them...SIGH!!!! lets see...we can't trust our Politicians,judges,cops,military,teachers,news,Hollywood,textbooks,NASA,
Wall street,Banks,Drug companies,insurance Co,auto industry!,etc.,etc.,etc.

Does this just put the top on the cake for anyone. We are turning out to be one of the most corrupt countries in the world and it is making me physically ill now.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Is this how baby boomers treat our children?

Is this how authority treats the governed?

Is this how Law treats Civilians?

This is how people treat people.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Its sad how corrupt our country is becomming. I feel bad for those kids, they probably messed up a bit sure, but they didnt deserve to be sent to juvee so some prick judge can profit.

I have a feeling these judges will be disbarred, and maybe charged. They SHOULD be tarred and featherd. I hope they pay back all the kids who lives they ruined.

Sad indeed

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think this kind of thing is more rampant then we think ... just about all prisons are for profit prisons ( i could be wrong here ) is there a way we can find out which prisons are for profit type systems ... because all of them would have this going on almost a 100% guarantee.

Free labor for your companies by busting people for bull crap offenses and getting them to work for you for free for a few years ... could this possibly be a conspiracy on a massive lvl involving many different public company's including police force and most of the judicial system and why there are so many petty laws ( mostly drug laws) where u can get put away for a long time for not doing harm to any one else at all.

Some one should definitely look into this further ... there is no way in hell the buck would stop with 1 isolated incident this would have to be rampant and common place for this to have even gotten off the ground at all ... lots of pre mediated planning here and the complexity of the scheme and the high lvl's of people involved almost prove that this is common place.

I don't usually star and flag posts ... but this one is getting one of each from me ... extremely interesting stuff good work OP for bringing this to ATS

[edit on 13/5/10 by King Loki]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
yeah my kid was sent to one for crimanal trespass. I thought it was very harsh compared to punnishment for juvies at other local areas and across the state.

I guess the local DJ and the judge made some cash for that.

CS'ers they are. I hope they get theirs when all is said and done.

The kid is ok now. But he had to learn we are not rich the hard way. No rich kids at that place.

He was a good kid to start, so when the put him in with the true dregs of society he still kept his head and didnt get worse.

So many kids get worked into the system for life this way .

I hope theese judges and DJs get tot experence what they perscribe.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Wow, how many young minds have been scarred thanks to these crooks??? I hope they rot and I hope the detention facilities are shut down. Does anyone believe this doesn't happen in regard to "big boy" prisons and have anything to do with mandatory minimums and drug laws???

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Philly is having a lot more problems lately, or at least they're finally realizing all the problems they've been pretending weren't there for a very long time as well.

If anyone hasn't noticed, a lot of the articles on the front page lately have been about Philly or PA in general.

But I'm not going to allow my state to take all the credit for the corruption - it's happening, and has been happening, all around the country.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
bad apples should be disposed of

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Unfortunately thats Philly, im sure the rest of the country is messed up too (lord knows around here we have our fair share of corruption) but philly is generally regarded as the second butthole of America after Detroit. Sad but true. I enjoy parts of Philly for its history but Id never be caught dead there alone or out after dark.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Must be a popular trend these days, here's a story from last year..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

If you want this to stop all you have to do is hang the Judges and pass laws to make this sort of thing a death penalty offense.

The whole system is broken, if you read the franklin cover up you will understand that the people behind these things will never ever stop unless they are put down.

The way I see it, these judges have stolen countless hours from these kids so its only fair that they lose their their lives.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join