It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is breast milk best? It's all in the genes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I went to a nature store to buy it, and it was 4$ for a quart.

Holy Cow! Or should I say goat?
That is an unbelievable price - I truly am astonished - jaw droppingly so.
Wow, I'm so sorry...

As for your other comment - well - There could be many other reasons for my becoming the person I am and the family members I have (who were breast fed) becoming another type of person, but, I truly do believe there is something to it... That the mother does in fact 'pass down' something in her milk to her children besides nutrients and calories. I believe I missed out on whatever it is they got and I didn't.

Sorry you felt the need to be sarcastic, but, that's ok, really, I can see it must be a sensitive issue for you and I'm sorry for that.

Peace and take care

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I can't believe that there is actually any debate about breast milk being inferior to formula. It's a pretty simple argument as far as I am concerned - boobs are what evolution came up with for mammals to raise their babies. How could anyone ever contemplate that we could make something better in a laboratory?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My apologies but I am just science minded. You have to look at all angles and not jump to first conclusions. There just could be a hundred different reasons is all.

As I always tell people, don't take any grumpiness from me personally, I am just that, grumpy.

For example, mental illness can be genetically predisposed, or passed on. Naturally, people tend to think that if there is a 50% chance that you will get it. So say there is 4 of you, you would think that only 2 of you would have it. But the roll of the dice resets for each person, the odds of one child doesn't dictate the odds of the rest. So if the first sibling gets it, it doesn't mean that the next persons chances are less, it is a whole new game for each person, if that make sense.

So there could be any combination, you all could get it, or none.

A great example is if you have ever watched Little People,Big World. Here you have both parents with dwarfism. That increases the chances of a child having it to 75%(dont quote me though). But all of their children but one is normal sized. Naturally you would think the first child is normal and the remaining odds would leave the rest of the children with dwarfism gene. But three other times, the dice rolled for the normal sized gene.

Genes aside, other variables could include nurture, not nature. Even birth order, age differences can affect the outcome of children.

If you ever want to look into something interesting, and having 3 other siblings you could definetly compare, look into birth orders.

Another example is my mum is the oldest of 9 kids. The youngest one is the most successful. Because she was the baby and the other kids were older, she got more attention, and my grandparents were more well off and could afford to pay for a good college by that point.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Snappahead

I don't think anyone argues that formula is better. But many people are led to believe that it is a good equivalent.

We had a huge generation gap led with a generation that was trained to be repulsed by bfing.

So now we have a generation that is trying to discover it again, and we have no knowledge or experience to go on.

Not only that, it is lower among those in a lower economic bracket, who could probably benefit from the reduced cost the most. And the younger the mother, the less likely they are to bf.

The highest exclusive breastfeeding rates are seen among white women. More than 80% of Latina women initiate breastfeeding, but only 29% breastfeed exclusively while in the hospital. African-American women are less likely than white women to start breastfeeding and half as likely to breastfeed exclusively. The lowest rates of exclusive breastfeeding are seen among Pacific Islanders.2

linky

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
i think the bigger point that everyone is missing in this thread is that milk is jsut plain gross, no matter where it comes from.
by the way, laws in america allow for a maximum puss content in thier milk that is sold in stores, its something like a few million parts per liter . yummy.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by super genius

You should see what they feed the cows.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join