It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest scientific instrument ever built to prove Einstein's theory of general relativity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Three spacecraft flying three million miles apart are to fire laser beams at each other across the emptiness of space in a bid to finally prove whether a theory proposed by Albert Einstein is correct.

Physicists hope the ambitious mission will allow them to prove the existence of gravitational waves – a phenomenon predicted in Einstein's famous theory of general relativity and the last piece of his theory still to be proved correct.

The mission, a collaboration between Nasa and the European Space Agency, will use three spacecraft flying in formation while orbiting the sun, with each housing floating cubes of gold platinum.

Laser beams fired between the spacecraft will then be used to measure minute changes in the distance between each of the cubes, caused by the weak waves of gravity that ripple out from catastrophic events in deep space.

"We could also learn about the state of matter inside collapsed stars."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Sounds interesting yet incredibly expensive. I don't know if this is something we need to know right now but whatever.

I hope this is very small scale.
Someone correct me, but what if this was large scale, could it create a gravitational pull TOWARDS THE SUN???

I'm sure that's not something that we want to do.
But obviously this is small scale.

But what in the world are floating cubes of gold platinum?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the post

I find this quite interesting and I hope it is worth the money, not that we have much say in the matter. Maybe it is one more step towards warp drive ability.

"Ground based attempts to detect gravitational waves on Earth have so far been unsuccessful and can only look for gravitational waves with relatively high frequencies."
Wow, I did not know this, they can't detect the waves here but out there they can? So at this point gravity waves are just a theory on Earth?
Hmmm, well maybe this get's us closer to anti- gravity technology.
I wonder how big those gold platinum cubes are?

Peace

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Cubes of a gold-platinum alloy.

Sometimes it's better to go to the source.
lisa.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It will never work and its a total joke of an experiment.

It's one of the largest wastes of US tax payer dollars in the history of America.

1. There is no such thing as gravitational waves. The LIGO didn't find any and neither will this epic waste of cash.

2. The satellites themselves will be effected by "unforeseen" electromagnetic forces, just as Gravity Probe B was, which will wildly throw off readings.

3. Look for this satellite to blow up on the launch pad just like the global warming satellite. They don't want this thing in orbit because they know from the outset it will be a total failure. Its simply an excuse to waste money.

Bookmark this thread.

Then come back and worship me as a God after all of my predictions come true.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

If there are no such things, then how come they've already been shown (indirectly thru observation, but not directly thru measurement) to exist?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sounds like a precious metals scam.
They can send up coal and fudge the findings to prove Einstein.
The Illuminati and Einstein paring only diminished by the
Illuminati and the ET in suppressing the ether science.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
reply to post by mnemeth1

If there are no such things, then how come they've already been shown (indirectly thru observation, but not directly thru measurement) to exist?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

Because physicists are lying to you.

When they can't explain something using Einstein's theories, they make up things like dark matter, dark energy, black holes, or gravitational waves to gloss over the total failure of their models.

Why do you think all this wacky nonsense like dark matter exists in the first place?

Without dark matter and dark energy, Einstein's models totally fail to explain what we see in space. Hence, physicists have simply dreamed up matter and energy to try and explain away the failure of Einstein's theories.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Very cool .

Only the technology to make this happen is impressive.

I was told science does not proof anything. It just eliminates the possibilities.

join