It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traditional Farmer Knowledge Leads Cuba to Organic Revolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

At the peak of Cuba's "Special Period," the time after the Soviet Union's collapse brought the import-reliant island's economy to a halt, President Fidel Castro realized that domestic ingenuity was the only hope for a timely turnaround. As food producers struggled to feed an increasingly famished and angry nation, Castro made a phone call to Humberto Ríos Labrada, a young researcher who was searching for more efficient crop seeds.

Ríos, then a Ph.D. student studying pumpkins, was told, "We need to improve the vitamin A content to feed people." He answered Castro's call by collecting experiences from rural farmers who for several years had already been forced to raise nutritious crops without expensive, fossil fuel-dependent farm inputs. "I did it, but not through the scientific way," he said during an interview hours before accepting a 2010 Goldman Environment Prize in Washington, D.C. last month. "It was through the farmers."

Source

I find this story highly inspiring and motivational. We as Americans and for the most part, the rest of the world really could use something like an organic revolution.

You know, get rid of all the processed foods, get rid of the chemicals, get rid of the pesticides, not have to worry about altered seeds when we buy them from the store for a personal garden. I have personally been eating green for a while now and let my tell you, there's many noticeable and drastic effects from doing so.

A organic revolution would help sink corporate America as well. If we all started eating natural, raw and unadulterated foods what would happen to Mcdonald's?

new topics

join