It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walgreen's Will Be First to Retail Personal Genomics Tests, if the FDA Allows it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Walgreen's Will Be First to Retail Personal Genomics Tests, if the FDA Allows it

www.popsci.com

Walgreen's is ready to plunge headlong into the brave new world of personal genomics retailing, becoming the first retailer to stock store shelves with genetic-testing kits that can test for a person's likelihood of developing a range of genetic ailments, from Alzheimers to breast cancer to obesity. The FDA, however, isn't so thrilled.

The tests, which retail for $20 to $30, allow customers to collect their own saliva sample in a vial and send it to the test's maker, Pathway Genomics of San Diego. For an additional cost -- ranging from $79 for drug-response results to $249 for a suite o
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-5-2010 by paxnatus]

[mod edit: fixed long source link & title]

[edit on 13-5-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Three cheers for Pathways and Walgreens. These could be the first steps in fighting back against the FDA.

The article goes on to say. The FDA is not pleased. They feel patients will take this "too far" and begin dosing themselves for whatever ails them.

No, the FDA is not pleased because they will be losing money since the patient not the drug companies will be able to determine whether they actually have a disease or a precursor to one.

Bottom line the patient has more autonomy over their own health care and not the Government. They are NOT pleased.

What do you think? Will the FDA let this stand or will they come up with a bogus excuse and tell you that this method is not accurate and could potentially be dangerous?

Pax

www.popsci.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Just found this update:

Walgreens Halts Sale of Genetic Test.

Pathway Genomics home test kit investigated by the FDA.

Here is the bogus excuse I talked about, in the above post! The FDA will never let us control our own health period.

link: www.latimes.com...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
S&F I find this article to be very interesting...I am not a big fan of Walgreens, having been a previous employee, and I am even less of a fan of CVS. But I applaud Walgreens for trying something new.
The FDA has proved time after time to care more about money and corporate profits than the health of you and your family. With their skewed logic one could expect they would eventually ban WebMD and just about any health information out there.

Another government agency paid for by the people that is not truly for the people

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Wow and no, no, no.

Dont like this one bit as the beginning of a mile starts with a inch.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hi. Your link is broken. I was trying to fix it for you (and the title) but cannot access the original article.

Do you have a working link?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the post!
I just read this and came onto ATS to see if the issue has been brought up yet.

Genetic Test Kit Available At Retail Stores
www.chicagotribune.com...
It looks like there was another thread on this, but to my surprise, it did not get anywhere.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I am trying to decide whether or not I want to know my results. Right now I am leaning towards yes with the "just in case" attitude. (After seeing XXXN30's vid, maybe not)
The implications for all is something to ponder. It is another revolutionary procedure in the evolution of things. I guess like other powerful transformative advances, there will be both good and bad and we can just hope there will be more good.
I am curious how this will play out within the insurance industry. Seems like a big can of worms to handle.
Peace

[edit on 13-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Please contribute to the previous discussion:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join