It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hawaii law shuns Obama birth document requests

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

New Hawaii law shuns Obama birth document requests

news.yahoo.com

It's now law in Hawaii that the state government can ignore repetitive requests for President Barack Obama's birth certificate.

Republican Gov. Linda Lingle signed into law Wednesday a bill allowing state government agencies not to respond to follow-up requests for information if they determine that the subsequent request is duplicative or substantially similar to a previous request.

The law is aimed at so-called "birthers," who claim Obama is ineligible to be president. They contend the Democratic president was born outside the United States, and therefore doesn't meet a constituti
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Lingle didn't elaborate on her reasons for signing the bill

...Of course she didn't. So what does this mean? Did this law come down from the White House? Or are they really just annoyed by the 10 to 20 emails (that's it, seriously?) a week?

Advocates for openness in government oppose the law because they fear it could be used to ignore legitimate requests for information.

...duh. Pretty smart way to start hiding what ever they want under laws like this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Well, do you like answering the same question, over and over again?

There are numerous copies of what the state has on record to be found on the internet already.

I don't blame them one bit for putting their foot down!

He's not the only guy ever born in Hawaii, that people are requesting copies of birth certificates for.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

If I may conduct what I consider to be a reasonable request; What do you think this means about the state of democracy, the freedom of information and the future of the US?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Doesn't this go against the FOIA?

I would think that it does.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Well, what if I want to get my information from the source? The internet, afterall, is somewhat unreliable. The fact that they can merely ignore requests that are deemed similar to past requests is horrible. They don't even have the obligation to notify you that you aren't getting what you want. You are being ignored. Obviously, access to information in Hawaii is not very convinient anymore and is being hindered. How long before they ignore all requests and hide everything?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Let me ask you a question, people always want to verify if the document is authentic.
SO they get it from the horses mouth,That is the only way. Do you know how many documents get printed up of the same court proceedings? many.

If you are a gov you cant just say hey its on the internet look it up.

Anyone can make up a fake document or alter a real one. Then claim its the real deal.
When you get it from the gov it has standing. Not only in court but public opinion.

Besides, why would barry have a Connecticut ssn if he was born in Hawaii?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TaxpayersUnleashed

Exactly what I just said ahead of you.

And good Conneticut reference.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaxpayersUnleashed

Let me ask you a question, people always want to verify if the document is authentic.
SO they get it from the horses mouth,That is the only way. Do you know how many documents get printed up of the same court proceedings? many.

So, it would be ok with you, if I got a copy of your birth certificate? Or that of your children? I mean it is public record, no?

If you are a gov you cant just say hey its on the internet look it up.

No, but, how many freakin copies do they have to supply, given that the govenor of the state has already validated the document to be authentic?

Anyone can make up a fake document or alter a real one. Then claim its the real deal.
When you get it from the gov it has standing. Not only in court but public opinion.

And, the public has already been given many, many copies of the official document. Do you need one to sell on E-bay?

Besides, why would barry have a Connecticut ssn if he was born in Hawaii?

Quite possibly because that is where the family resided, or visited when one was requested for him. It used to be that people did not need a SS number until they sought employment. Thank your neighbor who claimed "Fluffy," as a dependant on their tax returns, for you, and your children needing one just after their first breath.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What do you think this means about the state of democracy, the freedom of information and the future of the US?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Doesn't this go against the FOIA?

No. The FOIA only applies to Federal agencies. Source

The FOIA applies only to federal agencies and does not create a right of access to records held by Congress, the courts, or by state or local government agencies.

Hawaii state law (as most, if not all, other state laws) prohibit the disclosure of vital statistics records except to those people who have a direct and tangible interest in the record as defined by statute. List of persons with a tangible interest is found at the link below.

If you are not able to establish a direct and tangible interest in the record, you are ineligible and will not be issued a certified copy of the record.

Source

I don't think ANY state allows access to birth certificates except to those with a direct and tangible interest. This law is just to make it so Hawaii can ignore further requests instead of answering each one with the above VERY PUBLIC and ACCESSIBLE information. It takes time and money to answer each request and they've been patiently doing so for nearly 3 years now. This constant harassment of Hawaii's Health Dept needs to STOP.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GSV Sleeper Service

Nothing. You can't keep asking for a copy of Obama's birth certificate. Rational people wouldn't be asking for something they have no hope of ever receiving, and the state is tired of dealing with irrational people. That's all it means.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
What do you think this means about the state of democracy, the freedom of information and the future of the US?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Are you going to keep spamming this thread?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

You got that right. It is not that the information is not already out there for everyone to see. Unaltered copies, right there.

Some people are thick as a brick, and can't believe it unless they get hit in the head with a brick!

The birth certificate is REAL.

Get over it already, you got nothing!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I starred your reply, in fact I agree with it, but as my first post states I'm conducting what I consider to be a reasonable request within this thread.

I'm sure the same way that those who consider Obama's birth requesting such information from the Hawaian govenment feel it should be requested as a liberty rather than a trouble.

Feel free to ask the same question over and over yourself until we have a reply.

And then keep asking it as it is in no way troubling whatsoever according to the OP's direction.

Now that I have answered you please excuse me so that I may return on topic:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

So what do you guys think? Pressure came from the White House to pass this in an attempt to stop requests completely or are they tired of 20 emails a week? I still think it should be more than 20 emails a week.

And what happens when they begin to ignore all requests to information? This can be abused pretty hard.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GSV Sleeper Service

The information is already out there. Why does anybody need it over, and over, and over again?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GSV Sleeper Service

Instead of asking over and over again, maybe you can enlighten us.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join