It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Underwater Images of the Gulf Oil Leak (What BP Won't Show You) [Updated]

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
Watch how much oil is spewing out at the end:

Wow, who thought that tiny thing would stop the flow?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

That "little thing" was 4 stories tall. not exactly "little" just gives an idea of how massive the outflow and area are.

It does look "little" in the context of the video tho.. yikes.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have attempted to find information from contacts in the industry, schools, and gov't agencies. It seems that EVERYBODY is under some kind of gag order. EVERYBODY!!!!
If anyone has seen any of my previous posts, I have scientific knowledge of gases/fliuds under pressure and have been unable to verify my theory(s).
any video or images released officially, I would be very skeptical about. Not that the info is an outright lie, as much as the true impact is really unknown based upon known science, so TPTB are very skidish.

The hydrates are the real danger, they can trap 1600 times their volume in gas molecules (surrounded be a ice crystal). I believe that the large volumes of the gas that has been released since this started have NOT vented to the surface, (yet) There is a slushy slurry being created as the high pressure nat gas/methane is injected into the freezing water, and being as its density is only slightly lighter than water (0.9 sp grav vs 1.0), has not come up yet.

this is how the seas could burn. experiments are planned for this weekend to verify.

dr

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
Unbelievable. My entire Finals week has been # because I can't stop thinking about this. When I'm in class I can't help but wonder: "How many of these people go home and actually care about this?"

To answer your question my friend I can tell that you ALL of these guys go home at night caring about it. Why? Not because of the destruction and damage it is doing but because they are losing money. Period. They could give a damn about the impact on the environment when it impacts their bottom line.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Thats kind of comforting....lol

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
formation of a slush
www.treehugger.com...

"Capping the leak with a smaller box would ensure the oil and seawater mixture inside the container is warm enough to prevent the formation of a slush that had clogged the larger container, according to geochemist David Valentine of UC Santa Barbara. Gas mixing with cold water near the sea floor can form a matrix similar to crystal. (source)"

wahooo (or actually not) first confirmation that the slush is indeed there

dr

[edit on 13-5-2010 by dr dodge]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Oil and gas in an ice matrix( as oil would naturally contaminate the clathrate hydrate) should be suspended all around the area yet the water is incredibly clear and well lit for 5000ft. At least a partition layer should be forming somewhere and rising as the density decreases.

Sea water is most dense @ 4C so a "slush" slowly rising would/could catastrophically expand when it rises into warmer water causing an enormous methane "burp" and cloud. If they are burning off the oil this would become a mega-ton range F/A bomb....

Is it just me or does a lot of this footage look like shallow water?
N.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
Sea water is most dense @ 4C so a "slush" slowly rising would/could catastrophically expand when it rises into warmer water causing an enormous methane "burp" and cloud. If they are burning off the oil this would become a mega-ton range F/A bomb....

That is 1/2 of my fear, the other half is we have NO idea where or when it will come out. an explosion/super hot5 fire could then release more vapor,
and possibly make the water burn like a tiki torch

dr

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The same idiots who thought it was okay to not have a plan in place for an event of this magnitude.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Agreed. The last I heard they said they were 2 years away from a solution after the dome idea failed? They don't have a plan B? I really don't see how you are going to stop that much oil from pouring out into the sea.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
www.liveleak.com...

this is just sad

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Beat me to it again.... was just about to start a thread showing the skynews footage...

This really doesn't look good at all... seems to be too much oil spewing out of that hole... and already there has been plenty of wildlife found dead...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
BP I have nothing but contempt

MORONS!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Reposted from another thread:

Gulf Spill Could Be Much Worse Than Believed

New data obtained by NPR show that oil gushing out of the Deepwater Horizon pipe on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico is at least 10 times the U.S. Coast Guard's estimate.

The Coast Guard estimated that oil was gushing out at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day following the April 20 BP rig explosion that killed 11 people. But sophisticated scientific analysis of seafloor video made available Wednesday gives a figure closer to 70,000 barrels a day. That's the equivalent of one Exxon Valdez tanker every four days.

The 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster spilled nearly 11 million gallons of oil in Alaska's Prince William Sound.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

live in florida and they've shown it every single day since
it happened.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Again as dr. dodge pointed out and I reiterated, the real disaster may well come when the methane 'slush' being formed as the gas is ejected and cooled under vast pressure.
As was said it has a lower density than water but not by much and will only rise slowly through the water. That this slush is being formed is confirmed by the failure of the concrete box due to slush formation blocking oil retrieval.

The amount formed is not being speculated on or even spoken about, though you know their petro-experts are aware of it. Likely because it is out of their control and is going to take whatever course it will and they do not want to fess up to the possibility of an enormous series of explosions as the trapped methane is released in warmer water or a sustained burning ocean if released steadily.
Even if it does not burn methane is poisonous and the possibility of toxic clouds hitting the coast is real.
It may well be the oil is the "down the road" problem and the natural gas the guillotine waiting above our heads.
N.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

my opinion is to send a new pipe or pipes down there and join it with a fn condom joint. they can see it and can operate machinery down there. i didn't think the gulf waters were that deep either!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Given the name of that site, I wouldn't put too much faith in ANYTHING they post. Environmental websites are not something I'm inclined to go along with.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

I felt the same way untill i saw the videos of thousands of gallons of oil pouring into the sea...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
to understand the dangers of methane (the main gas in natural gas) look at the MSDS

www.ebsinfo.com...

many manufacturers make detectors specificly for methane detection
one example:

www.allgasdetectors.com...

If I lived within 10 miles of the coast, I would be ordering at least a couple.

I am significantly further inland than that, and am still pretty sure I am going to get one. many cheaper ones for under $100

dr

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join