It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

inteligent suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
self imposed dumbed down world.

ive always been dubbed as a high achiever, my parents when i was just 7 took me to have a full analysis when they realized i was under preforming at school.

2 main things came out of the series of tests i undertook.

* i have an above average iq . ( last recorded test was at 138 ) i cant remember what type of test this was as nearly every one marks differently. though it is to be noted that i did not meet the top 2% needed to join mensa on this test.

* i have mild dyslexia mostly involved with spelling and word identification. ( witch explained my slow start in school as the early years concentrate on simple English and math). my spelling was holding me back. even though i could read and understand text fine. trying to replicate a similar text was near impossible due to my personal lexicon being so small due to my dyslexia. i have since then worked with this problem on a daily basis. even though i have not been tested recently i would like to think i have retrained my brain enough to get by in daily life.
even though i struggle to mentally picture a word to spell on a daily basis, no matter how much i use the said word. it just depends on how my brain encodes it par say. strangely its some of the smaller confusable words that i struggle with more, but its just part of life now.

now on to my life now.

if anything i have massively underachieved on my potential. from my predicted grade to achieved left a lot to be desired.

my main problem with the education system is the method from witch marks are awarded and grades achieved.

to give an example.

in GCSE's in graphics design. i was the the first pupil in my school to ever achieve 100% in the practical test.

how ever i completely failed the course work resulting in a E grade overall.

in GCSE geography i got 96% in the test, and a dismal 30% in my course work.

resulting in a c grade.

i think that sufficiently illustrates my failings.

i always have and always will be a problem solver. give me a puzzle to solve ill sit down and do it.

give me an essay to write, ill put it off, make excuses and generally fail to preform in what shud be for me an easy task.

this now leads on to my main point the self induced stupidity. of humanity today.

im sure everyone has seen the film

Idiocracy

www.imdb.com...
"A narrator explains that natural selection is indifferent to intelligence, so that in a society in which intelligence is systematically debased, stupid people easily out-breed the intelligent, creating, over the course of five centuries, an irremediably dysfunctional society. Demographic superiority favours those least likely to advance society."

well i think this has been happening for many human cycles each time we get to a point where the average person cant comprehend the technology of their day. maybe a catastrophe could tip this event into happening. and people regress to their primal instincts.

food
shelter
reproducing

eventually we build society back up to a reasonable technological level and the process starts to replica its self.

take me for example i have an above average iq.

i can build a computer from scratch, however i dont have the skills or know how to manufacture the individual chips or parts.

so where does this leave the people with average iq. completely removed from the technology they are using.

it would only take about 10 generations maybe less of what i would like to call stupid breeding. that the population contains just a fraction of people that know how to use manufacture and repair these technology's that they would start to be phased out in general society.
as large corporations took over.

the computer building example holds true again. think of the big pc shops. when as little as 15 years ago most big computer heads would build thier own to save money and make better and cheaper pc's that cold be purchased at a large store.

books.google.co.uk... w&hl=en&ei=kenrS6f5Lo_y0gSpmojjBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

this is a long book ( intelligence by nathan brody)

this page links shows how higher iq sibling are less likely to reproduce than their lower iq siblings.

imagine the effect this can have several generations down the line.

also

The Evolution of Human Intelligence: Increasing Importance of Domain-Specific Intelligence in the Modern Environment

www.personalityresearch.org...

is an interesting read.

the mass media for as long as i know always portrays the jock / stupid person, being more successful in love and procreation than the smart kid.

this is a trend set in the real world,

how many people have you seen in your life in , council / government funded dwellings, effectively living of the taxes of the workers of the nation. popping out kidds like they are just a pre- request fro more benefits and hand outs.

now imagine out of the people you can think of popping out babies at an amazing rate for our current worlds populace.... actually know how to build a computer. very few. far from it in actual fact they are quite basic. as most mobiles nowadays are practically mini pc's and i wouldn't have the first clue on how to build one.

and general everyday pc's aren't exactly the height of our technological feats.

then you have the outer dam right scary fact that people that are gifted are more prone to drug and drink abuse.

Study Finds Link between High Childhood IQ and Adult Alcohol Use

www.jointogether.org...

Intelligent People Are Prone to Alcoholism

news.softpedia.com...

blog.therapistunlimited.com...

now i can assure you everyone can be a drug abuser or alcoholic.

www.selfgrowth.com...

"The truth is, students that are more disciplined are the one's who get more credit than those who are actually considered to have high-IQ. Although, this doesn't necessarily mean that IQ has an existing relationship with self-discipline. The thing here is that it differs from one's distinguishing feature of his or her personal nature."

[edit on 13-5-2010 by jericanman]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
but think about the context im talking about.

we already have a large populace of lower than average iq breeding at a phenomenal rate.

then the high iq, who are less likely to procreate in the first place are also more prone to these issues.

and more prone to stress i might add. (as i have read before but cant presently find the links) mostly due to an over active brain problem solving what they come across in daily life, be it corrupt governments, political issues, technological breakthroughs. etc the layman pops on sky sports and just veggie's, an over active brain just keeps churning away trying to solve the problems.

mostly from observing what a cruel and messed up world we live in.

the general sheepel don't have these concerns, just whats the next block buster at the cinema.

when they shud upgrade their home entertainment system. etc..

basically i have noticed the more i delve in to the wonders, hidden secrets of the world, mystery's and the unexplained. world politics, wars, paranormal, religions. one thing is clear

i am becoming more dependent on drugs and alcohol to shut down my brain when i just cant cope with thinking about a particular subject anymore.

and there is no way i would bring a child of my own into this messed up world.

and all i fear is that i am contributing to the very issue ive just been posting about.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nobody is better or worse than anyone else. This is divide and conquer-speak.
Everyone is the same and our farts all stink.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
sorry but there are many quantifiable means to establish weather a person beats another,

if not so we as humans would never have invented many of the games or pastimes we enjoy.

take chess for example

there is always a winner and looser

i would never win against a chess master

take the oylimic games.

to think i could compete with athletes in them is beyond ridiculous.

why because in those respects i am far inferior.

i suppose with your blanket view on humanity every one is the same and every skill or attribute game is allays rigged because in your world everyone from a wheelchair bound cripple , to the top athlete in the world would tie on every activity from a chess game , the 100meter sprint to rocket building...

look around you that is not true

and to think so is a very silly view point.

im not discriminating just showing what i think is happening to humanity and what has possibly happened before.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Some psychologists believe there are 9 different types of intelligence.

skyview.vansd.org...

They are as follows:

Naturalistic

Musical

Logistical-Mathematical

Existential (I can't believe it either!)

Interpersonal

Bodily-Kinesthetic

Linguistic

Intra-personal

Spatial

"All shapes and sizes Vincent, all shapes and sizes."

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

I know what you mean about the Grade structure.
Back when I was in school, when they put us into 'sets' in year 9, I was in set 1 for Science (the clever class!)
Then in years 10 they put us into sets for English and Maths.
And because my Maths was rubbish, I went from set 1(science) in Year 9 to set 4 (of 6!)
They derived this by doing an 'avarage.'

So as a result, I suppose it held me back in Science class.
Also, My English was quite rubbish as I ended up with a D in G.C.S.E. And had numerous after school detentions and letters home etc.
What actually made me pull my finger out was when I went to college.
I re-sat my English, but also went to the extra English class where people would give you a hand.
Anyway, I learnt more in that Extra class in one year, than I did in the whole of Comprehensive School.
Although, I still only had a C!
But with me I was never 'too' botherd about high grades, I just want to pass and get the paper saying I got 'whatever.'

[edit on 13/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Is the chess master or the super intelligent guy any different in his humanity than i am? Or the olympic winner? Absolutely not.

The only thing i see in more intelligent people (not all of them) is the thought that theyre better than someone else.

So everyone's the same in his humanity.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

yes you are right but obviously are posting on the wrong thread

this is not the some people are inferior / superior in humanity thread.

im stating what is happening with the general trend in humanity today. not who is beter / worse.

i am stating a fact lower iq people out number higher iq people and. even if im not right and every one is breeding at a steady rate

the smaller pool of people will be out bread by the larger pool.

their is no idealization or point to make.

i am stating a fact

a larger mass expanding at the same rate as a smaller mass expanding at the same rate. the larger mass will always be larger.

you are just a part of humanity. but u have a very bad grasp of basic maths and science that governs everything.

from your experience to everyone else. the same rules apply.

what i am stating is happening. weather you understand it or not.

i am not saying that being more intelligent is better.

if anything in terms of evolution it seems from my own observations the reverse is true.

so to take your point

"So everyone's the same in his humanity."

well yes but some people out breed others.

a simple fact

im sure even in one persons limited experience... lets say your own. you can think of people that have more children than others.

i highly disbelief that every one you know or have met have had exactly the same number of offspring.

all im saying is their is a trend to the pattern of this fact.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I can see where the OP is coming from. The last time I was tested I had an IQ of 132, but I left school with nothing to show for it, despite being the best I could be.
With mathematics my brain gets clogged up, but I am fascinated by sciences and music and philosophy. I consistently score between 96 to 100% in English, compared to a rough estimate of about 60% in maths. In school this led to me being put in the lower classes, where I'm sorry to say not many people were interested in the learning aspect, but more in clowning around. I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, lessons could have been made less tiresome to hold the attention of some students, but I know that the grading systems put in place effectively excluded me from my true potential. In the establishment you are either good or bad, and the middle ground is left feeling inadequate.

Now people my age that were in my classes are on to their second and third children, while I haven't even started down that road, and I have constantly been in low paying jobs if I'm lucky, intermingled with periods of unemployment. When I AM working I get ideas of how things can be done more efficiently, but I am told not to do them that way. Why? Because is the answer. That's not how it's done, even though it makes infinitely more sense, and I am never in the position to enforce my suggestions.

I'm not saying I am better than anyone else, nor am I trying to take anything away from those who are succesful, more power to you if you are doing well, but society definately favours people of conventional IQ moreso than those with unconventional intelligence. If you start off with money then your intelligence will be put to better use, but I'm not that priveleged. Now I have to find money from somewhere if I want to simply better my initial grades to prove to higher education faculties that I'm not stupid for not living up to the marginalised educational requirements.

In short, this whole thing leaves me feeling VERY unmotivated. Hills become mountains. Even the task of starting a family is daunting, because if I have unconventionally smart children I know that this world won't look upon them with fairness. Everything is fine as long as you slot into the mould of society and in this world the mould is inescapable. Unless you're a tree dweller or live in a self sustaining commune.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by invetro

i think you have hit the nail on the head,

to be average is almost an advantage in life,

everyone who is average responds and understands the outer average people. as you go threw life your once warped child like dreams of everyone in power as being smart and nice is shattered. to find everyone is mostly the same. from prime minister to the guy that refills the coffee machine at work.

to be different is to be shunned and ultimately refused.

i have lost several jobs just by outshining a Superior.
when the middle of the road guy. that challenges nothing nor betters his role gets promoted to the superior in due course.

leading for the cycle to replicate it self again with someone else.

this type of event has happened many times in my life be it in work, social circles, friendship groups etc.

the result for me is allays the same.

im left feeling why bother.
why try to impress
why succeed

when the middle ground could be under my feet.

resulting in yet more underachieving

and trudging a little more on the beaten middle ground.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You do have a point about how people dont know how to manufacture complex things, but what about simple things? Can you slaughter an animal? Really, how many people can fish in the United States today? You have a great point, but it has one huge hole that I doubt you even know about. Manuals. I don't think it is a secret that I am in the Air Force by now. We have what is called the Technical Order system, or T.O.s for short. they are written at about an 8th grade level and tell you step by step what to do. Because my job is munitions, I will use them as an example. I have never worked with the AIM-9 missile system. If I were to be deployed to what we call a 'bare' base, were we have to build every thing from scratch, I would go to the missile T.O. Find the section on the AIM-9 and it would tell me exactly what it is made of, how each part works, how to inspect, clean, test, and store the missile. It will even go so far as to tell me how to make replacement parts if I cannot order any in. It will tell me what tools I need to make sure the metal shop has to replace a wing for instance. Modern air to air missile are some of the most advanced technology we have today. And I can become an expert on them just by reading a book. I know that for some it seems like the knowledge is hidden or held by only a select cabal of magos who are plotting to dumb down the planet, but I assure you it is not at all like that. I am sure most people think 'Holy #! this dude builds bombs!' when I tell them what I do, the reality is much different. I spend most of my time processing paper work and keeping account of our ammo. I know alot about 7.62 rounds ans API rounds, and smokes, and when you get right down to it, its boring for me. So if its boring for me, I'm not going to go out of my way to talk about it, its just my job.

I am sure that if you look at any given high tech job, the workers who do the job know the ins and out of every piece of equipment they work on. I'll bet that after a month the 'cool factor' is gone. Computer chips are very hard to build by hand. So are the devices that make them, but when you get right down to it, most things are still build and repaired by common hand tools. Modern industry makes it so 300,000,000 people in the united states can all have the exact same thing if they like. They have to protect the investment they have made by not making it public how they make things, but you could figure it out. I am sorry for the walls of text, but one last point. The things that you depend on for survival, your food, your clothing, your shelter, they were all more then likely produced by some one without a college degree.

Star and Flag for the OP. This is such an important topic.

EDIT: to clear up some lines and add S&F

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Obinhi]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread topic. I totally understand and agree with what jericanman has posted. I too have an above average IQ and have experienced discrimination because of it. When I was in school I got good grades all the time, easily, and my classmates would say stuff like "You got a 100? I hate you!" I'm not exaggerating. It made me feel like something was WRONG with ME! That's ridiculous, but when you are a kid, others' opinions matter to you so much. I also got reprimanded for speaking about something the teacher thought was unrelated to the class discussions, but really I was just talking about a different aspect of the topic. They don't want to hear that stuff, only the simple common denominator type rhetoric and ideas. I've spent my life dumbing myself down so that I wouldn't look out of place in certain social situations, and I'm really tired of it to be honest. I get sick of hearing people say, "stop using big words," and stuff like that.

I do NOT think I'm better than others, but I think that the OP puts the issue very clearly on the board. I don't want to be average, but to get on in this society it almost seems pointless to excel. I am a notorious underachiever and I'm happy that way. I find that I use my brain for my enjoyment and satisfaction in learning and expanding my knowledge base and I dumb myself down, for bettor or worse, to make a living.

As a side note, in movies and TV, whenever I see people knocking the smart guys, I'm always thinking "duh, that's the guy you should be wanting, not the dumb jock." I abhor the culture of placing the ability to play a sport on a pedestal. Just my personal pet peeve. And no, I'm not without physical ability.

Anyway, I just wanted to contribute to the thread. It really is interesting and I'm looking forward to others' responses too.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yes, in a sense it is indeed intelligent suicide. On the other hand, if intelligent people seek out intelligent and talented mates, we're looking at an enriched portion of the gene pool. So much of everything is like the Bell Curve we used to see all the time. It makes sense to me that intelligence, just like any other human trait would fall across the entire range of the curve, with some on the very low end, very few on the high end, and everyone else distributed in between somewhere. Unfortunately, our educational system tends to bring everyone towards the median, grinding us down to pebbles, even the diamonds in the rough. That's why we have to educate ourselves, not be educated by the system.

I was able to make a 2.8 without ever studying, so like most young people, I ook the path of least resistance. I had a 4.0 my first semester in college, then something clicked and I refused to regurgitate information back to professors anymore. It was too damn pedestrian. I also had emotional problems, so I gave it up for a job in Surgery in my hometown as an orderly. I eventually became an operating room technician, then a PA. I've helped do over 30K surgeries, and if I knew that a long time ago, I could have been a good surgeon. Hindsight is 20-20, as they say. My IQ has been measured anywhere from 105 to 160. I am dyslexic, and this hurts me on timed tests. I feel like measuring intellligence is is a mixed bag. An idiot savant could have a measured IQ of 50, but be a musical or math genius. What does that say about intelligence? Real genius-type people often lack basic common sense. What does that say about intelligence? I seem to have ability in the natural sciences that is beyond my understanding, coming in 4th out of 200 in a pre-college testing program, but math bores me to death. It's too mechanical for my taste. On the other hand, I loved chemistry and English. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, but I strongly believe it is possible to increase your level of intelligence over the course of our lifetimes if we apply ourselves. Personally, I'm an overachiever, but became one only when I got away from our educational system!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by invetro

Hahaha, i hear you about not being in the position to enforce your ideas. I could not agree more with what you posted and experience through high school. There is no such thing as a perfect education system but i dont think any government we have would like to improve it.
Only a small amount of the bad kids at school were actualy "stupid" They just didnt have the interest to sit down and learn stuff they were never going to use.
For example, someone who wants to teach drama for a living needs math GCSE at a grade C to do so? There truly are some knob-ends running the country.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Obinhi

i understand your point. most things constructed in our world today have manuals and instructions and the like.

most are riddled with complex wordings. and technical jargon witch to the outsider can be some what baffling.

but this all assumes you can read or have a want to read that book.

and can understand the jargon involved. yes you could quite easy cross reference the manual with technical dictionary's.

but the point im making is that most people would not undertake this task. and that's now.

a few more generations down the line the average person might not even be able to read the manual.

many old society have split languages. one for the elite and one for the workers.

and if you think about it might as well be the same today.

pick up a hello magazine or any of its trashy counterparts dealing scandals of celebrity and the like. most magazine's to be fair. and then one of your manuals.

i can imagine it now.

how many words can you match 10% maybe 50% at best.

its simular to legal jargon grab any disclamer, say insurance policy disclamers.

how many people just sign it and cant be bothered to read it .a hell of a lot.

how many people try to read it and get confused. a lot.

how many people fully understand its in's and outs. not many.

im afraid even with manuals. mostly the brighter people would bother trying to read the manual. and understand it.

on a side note i can make a lot of simple things.

i have made knives before.

shelters and outher survival kit.

i can trap and kill animals. mostly the smaller game, rabbits , birds and the like here in England we don't get much chance to go around hunting anything bigger

building ovens. and making cooking equipment from nature.

but in all these instance's its because i took the time to read the manuals and guides to learn how to do it.

most people don't have skills like these because they don't bother to get that manual read it and put it into practice to learn them.

and as you clearly pointed out these are basic skills. survival skills.

if most people don't learn these.

what hope do they have to read a manual of the technical level that you use at your work??

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
education-portal.com...

"Illiteracy Statistics

* 42 million American adults can't read at all; 50 million are unable to read at a higher level that is expected of a fourth or fifth grader.
* The number of adults that are classified as functionally illiterate increases by about 2.25 million each year.
* 20 percent of high school seniors can be classified as being functionally illiterate at the time they graduate."

Source: National Right to Read Foundation

just thought idd add that in as it adds to my point about Literacy in regards to manuals and the like.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I miss understand your title?

Is it suggesting that suicide for people of higher existential intelligence is an option not due to depression, failure or avoidance. Suicide is an option because; it is?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

to be average is almost an advantage in life

It is an advantage if your definition of success is all about the material.

School for me was very simliar. I got bored very easily. I read a lot and usually way beyond the cirriculum. I quit school at 16, no point really. When I got a little older my parents talked me into having another go. I went to University and even though I loved the actual learning, I couldn't really cope with the associated culture though.

There are other paths, then the one which is portrayed to the masses to success and happiness. A white picket fence, a drive way, 2.5 kids and a mortgage are not the only way to find happiness. For me personally the thought of that average life is what depress me.

Do not believe the great lie: Wealth( traditional education, high powered jobs, careers)=success=happines.

The masses will never except this, they have invested way to much time and energy into the great lie and no matter what YOU do you won't change their minds, and you probably won't fit into their idea of "normal".

So don't try. Do something, go somewhere, the world is literally your oyster. Get a back pack, and leave right now, today, Live your life as you want. Stop being crippled by stressing over the fact that you don't fit into a traditional mould.

Most importantly, don't become dependent on drugs and alcohol, it will dull your senses, triue enough, but it will dull all the possibilities for wonder and joy to come.

There are many paths to happiness, many paths to satisfaction. Mine happened to come when I rejected the "normal" idea of happiness and success.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
i think that allot of the problem is intelligence loses to muscle and hence forth girls usually go for the meat head over the nerd so to speak in one extreme to the other. also its allot about confidence. the meat head is very confidant because he has big muscles and if this girl docent want him another girl will. where as the nerd usually lacks in confidence he is usually desperate to get this girl and she knows it. also as a social standing nerds not cool meat heads cool. a bit of a stereo type perpetuated by movies usually american. also the media (cartoons shows films etc.) being shown to our children is mind numbingly retarded i was forced to watch the Disney channel at my mums with my little sister i swear after 5 minuets i felt stupider -_-.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I see your point jericanman. and agree with you. schools should do more for the clever children. schools for the gifted. so they dont have to hide how clever they are. we need the people who dont wont to be clever!!! to be the work force of the world. have you seen the star trek, they find a dumb people on a world then find a machine looking after them that is failing. they think its a god! they just got dumb very dumb...

you do know them op the top know this!
and use the dumb as working monkeys?

suicide of the human race.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join