It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel is Possible!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
www.abcnews.go.com... 6.html

[edit on 7-6-2004 by Warhappy]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
zGo to the link and tell me your opinions!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Brute force is great for karate chops and cracking passwords, but it seems like a silly notion to think that if we go as fast as we can that we will travel back in time. Unless you believe time is a product of motion.

I think that it�s an old way of thinking and that if we were to get a ship up to the speed of light, we would be crushed like grapes. If Einstein is right, time is a variable and is related to reality itself. If this is in fact so, why not just alter the variable, and instantly travel to the exact time of ones choosing, with out being crushed like a grape.

This seems as far fetched as building a big ship that can fly faster than light, but in many ways it seems like it might be more feasible. O yeah, I forgot most of our scientists are sheep and keep following the same dreams of the ones that thought the same silly notion before them. For example, why are we still using oil, when Tesla pointed out the possibility that one might be able to pull free energy from anywhere, in the 1890�s.

But, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Juji

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

In 1975 Carol Allie of the University of Maryland synchronized two atomic clocks and placed one on a plane and flew it around for several hours and left the other on Earth. When the airborne clock was returned to Earth, she compared its time with the one that hadn't moved and found that time had moved a fraction of a second more slowly for the clock on board the plane.

A discussion of this experiment in a Physics class seriously messed with my head. I still can't fathom that time is anything but a constant.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
A discussion of this experiment in a Physics class seriously messed with my head. I still can't fathom that time is anything but a constant.

Like most things, our reality is influenced by our perception of what truely is.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Alright, let's go have .. sigh.. fun..

Originally posted by juji999
Brute force is great for karate chops and cracking passwords, but it seems like a silly notion to think that if we go as fast as we can that we will travel back in time. Unless you believe time is a product of motion.

>> Light's speed is constant, the closer to it you move, the slower time must go for light's speed to remain constant. Thus, faster motion = slower time. It's too bad that you feel this is a silly notion, but I'm sure you aren't smarter than the rest of the earth.

I think that it�s an old way of thinking and that if we were to get a ship up to the speed of light, we would be crushed like grapes.

>> Thanks for the input. We would be. Doesn't mean the theory isn't real, just that we can't undergo personal testing too safely.

If Einstein is right, time is a variable and is related to reality itself. If this is in fact so, why not just alter the variable, and instantly travel to the exact time of ones choosing, with out being crushed like a grape.

>> Oh yeah, we'd love to do that. While we're at it, we'll just alter the variable known as gravity. We'll alter the variable known as 'potential energy', and known as 'the universe' too. The perception of time is dependant on other measures, it is a variable in that it may be altered to conform to the conditions surrounding it. We cannot just BAM and alter time, we must creat the conditions, which takes a massive amount of speed or a massive amount of gravity.

This seems as far fetched as building a big ship that can fly faster than light, but in many ways it seems like it might be more feasible.

>> Many ways like? Hm? You didn't mention any!

O yeah, I forgot most of our scientists are sheep and keep following the same dreams of the ones that thought the same silly notion before them. For example, why are we still using oil, when Tesla pointed out the possibility that one might be able to pull free energy from anywhere, in the 1890�s.

>> Yes, that's something that Tesla 'apparently' managed. Funny thing is though, Scientists don't just ignore such things. Such things have to be fabricated by lifeless morons promoting 'free energy' when they don't understand the first bit of a thing known today as 'science'. Thus, they explain (as confusingly as possible) that their hairbrain, (and stupid) ideas
are actually those of respected people, like Nicola Tesla.

But, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

>> It would seem so, but you're entitled to think what you wish, it matters not.

Now, uh, isn't that story from years ago? It's talking about the 'upcoming' film version of H.G. Wells' 'The Time Machine', which is 2-3 years old already. Sorry, nothing big and new.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well it has been rpoven that you can go into the future, but into the past...

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Light's speed is constant, the closer to it you move, the slower time must go for light's speed to remain constant. Thus, faster motion = slower time. It's too bad that you feel this is a silly notion, but I'm sure you aren't smarter than the rest of the earth.

You might slow time, but youll never exceed it to the point of reversing time for usable purposes. Its a brute force method of trying to cheat the nature of time itself. And yes it seems silly to me to think that a human will fly in a big spaceship and travel back in time by beating the speed of light. It was a great idea in its day, and a great concept for 1940's science fiction, but even today, the science fiction writers have abandon the idea. As for me being smarter, naa, Im just an average guy that believes that the answers will come when we change our way of thinking on the topic and THINK OUT SIDE OF THE BOX!!!! Like Tesla, Einstein, Nobel, Franklin, and the list goes on.

Thanks for the input. We would be. Doesn't mean the theory isn't real, just that we can't undergo personal testing too safely.

The theory is real, but it seems a bit unattainable for our near future. Plus, I dont think that we will be able to do it safely ever. If we do find a way to do it safely, that idea in itself will probably be the break through that we need to hack the system of time and ,with proper engineering, just appear where we want (Teleportation and Time Travel). Crazy science I know, but so is building a big ship that beats light in a race, and surviving the journey.

Oh yeah, we'd love to do that. While we're at it, we'll just alter the variable known as gravity. We'll alter the variable known as 'potential energy', and known as 'the universe' too. The perception of time is dependant on other measures, it is a variable in that it may be altered to conform to the conditions surrounding it. We cannot just BAM and alter time, we must creat the conditions, which takes a massive amount of speed or a massive amount of gravity.

Nothing is instant. Everything takes time and effort, plus a healthy dose of serious focused engineering (Look at the Atomic Bomb). Im sure that once we advance our science into quantum mechanic's, many of the door's, I am referring to, will become more apparent. We just need some really smart, non-basis thinkers to focus on science with an open mind.

Im sure once we unlock the true mysteries of magnetics, we will solve both problems of gravity and time. I dont think (Speed of light) motion will have anything to do with it. Unless we are talking about the electrons traveling at the speed of light.

quote: This seems as far fetched as building a big ship that can fly faster than light, but in many ways it seems like it might be more feasible.

>> Many ways like? Hm? You didn't mention any!

You big dildo, I was referring to the altering of the variable of time.

Yes, that's something that Tesla 'apparently' managed. Funny thing is though, Scientists don't just ignore such things. Such things have to be fabricated by lifeless morons promoting 'free energy' when they don't understand the first bit of a thing known today as 'science'. Thus, they explain (as confusingly as possible) that their hairbrain, (and stupid) ideas

Scientists do ignore such things. Why are we still using oil to power just about everything??? Tesla was blackballed and lost funding to prove the concepts that he built his theories on. At the time power was a new commodity, and here is some guy stating that he can create energy for free. Money is the motivation for just about everything.

Also, the fact that you think that these (I forgot, if I dont state exact what I mean you will try and bust on me. Computers, Electricity, Steam engine's, Atomic energy, AKA the nuclear steam engine, etc etc etc), idea's are hairbrained shows me that you follow the same path as the people Im knocking right now. With out such hair brain thinkers, where would we be today? Beating our mates with clubs and dragging them into our cave??

Plus, what is the thing named science?

It would seem so, but you're entitled to think what you wish, it matters not.

Yes you are right, opinions are like assholes, I think you know the rest. Plus, is there a right or wrong here? We could both be wrong. And yes this was fun.

Juji

[edit on 7-6-2004 by juji999]

[edit on 7-6-2004 by juji999]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Ok Time travel is possible in theory

To travel to the future thats easy just go as close to the speed of light as possible and time will go slower for you and faster for everthing else relative to you of course. This concept is proved and used today in the clocks of our satelites, most are programmed to add a few seconds every year otherwise they will continue to fall behind earth clocks.

Another thing about time is that the nearer you are to a massive body the slower time moves. This was test in the 1920's by placing two highly accurate timepieces on a water tower for a year, one at the top the other on the ground. After the year was over the one of the ground was slightly slower than the one at the top. Meaning time goes slower on Jupitor, Saturn and the Sun than here on earth.

The problem is Traveling in the past because just how do you do it. Well the only way to do it is to have an exit point that you can use that exsits in the past and the future. Since there is no man made time devices at this time it has been theorized to harness the singularities known as blackholes as entry points into the past since they exsist now and have exsisted for quite some time. This theory however is far from proven.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I would recommend checking this out:
www.damanhur.org...
They claim to have discovered time travel and interacting with people by going into similar time machines...to bad their most recent posts are from 1990s.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Argh, juji, you completely missed any and every point I made.

As to your whole thing about being able to slow time, and not reverse it, well congratulations, we agree! I was agreeing the whole time on that point, I never once said Time Travel is possible, I said that the standard theory is perfectly correct. That theory is that we can slow our perception of time and 'hypothetically' travel into the future - that's all. All I ever said. I don't think you can go back unless you can jump between universes, which is a whole other topic that I won't be getting into.
Second point to that first bit, NO ONE has said that it would be be a good idea to try and send people forward in time by building a lightspeed aircraft and then sending them in it. No one. We've all acknowledged that that cannot be done, yet you still yell back at us 'No! It can't! I'm right here!' - Yes, you are. So are we.

Where did you learn all of this personal information about Tesla?

Was it Rense? Perhaps a free energy site that wants you to buy their product? Or a geocities site made by someone younger than you? What about a site later proven to be owned by a hoaxer? Keelynet? the MEG site? Tesla coils exist, his work didn't go unnoticed. You can buy a 50,000 volt tesla coil gun (looks like a glue gun) for less than $150 - we had three in our science room last year. It jams up resistance so that the voltage climbs, because Voltage = Current * Resistance. Tesla had some neat ideas, but none that were as revolutionary as some crackpots seem to think.

The reason we still use oil is because it is easy to use. We haven't direly needed anything else yet, and that's why we have hydrogen, desktop sonofusion, wind power, solar energy, and self-powered vehicles. The technology exists, the scientists aren't ignoring it, it just isn't widely used because we have a set process and trillions of dollars into oil - why would we waste that before we can get the most bang for our buck? We'll wait until oil fails us, then an alternative source will become commercially viable. It isn't that people like me and people who understand science are idiots or charlatans, it's that we work on other things, and we know a little bit more about who can do what in the next 250 years than you do.

As for the whole changing time like a variable and teleporting about - for that to happen you'd need time to be tangeable, something that it isn't. You can't just manipulate space and time. This isn't something where some revolutionary thinker will come along and say 'Wait a tic, we can!' - It's something akin to you not being able to literally have sex with yourself without some massive and horrifying operation. It's something akin to the whole 'humans couldn't live without protection on the sun' idea - it isn't something that just takes some hard core engineering, it is something that cannot be done. Before we make time itself into a man-owned property of the universe and literally BECOME GODS, we'll all fly through the same means as super man.

Sorry, but in this case, you're really a lot farther off than you believe. There is always a right answer, it just depends on what the question is. In this case, that we agreed on your two main arguments is the right answer, and that Tesla wasn't stomped out is the right answer, that we have people like Einstein and Aristotle alive today, yet they don't have the same intuitive discoveries to make is the right answer. Really, bud, sigh..

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I wish I was really in the mood to fully respond to your jabber, and your personal attacks, today. :sigh: Dick

I implicitly stated that I thought time travel was possible, but you didnt catch that. I just do not think that it is feasible with the current accepted concepts that are on the table. My rant was mainly on the content of the article. As for your thoughts on my thoughts on Tesla, there are tons of books on the subject, its not some out of my ass theory that I made up or was convinced to believe for 9.99, off of some web site, Dick

Lastly, the questions that I was ranting about were the concepts of the currently accepted methodologies for traveling back in time, like the dude did in the movie. So with that said, we are both just speculation about the topic (it�s a debate you dick), and you missed this point entirely through your desire to bash someone on a website to boost your fragile little ego, somehow. Anyways, I�ve said enough. Dick

Juji

[edit on 8-6-2004 by juji999]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
You will not be crushed when you travel close to the speed of light in reference to the earth inertial system. This is because in your reference frame, the spaceship, you're not moving. The length change won't affect you.

I also didn't like the article posted. I found it to be a bit simplistic. It may be better to read a popular science book with more depth.

That's just what I wanted to add. You can now go on fighting.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I second Amantine's notion and a good place for anyone interested in Time Travel would be Stephen Hawkings book "A brief history of time" it gives a good overview of the theory of time travel and the theories surrounding it.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have read some of that jackel never really understood it!

top topics

join