It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A hole in space… no really, an actual hole!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I would have to suggest that this hole was made by a gamma ray burst, it's nothing but light.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by SneakAPeek]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

A cloaking device? Man ATS is a humour site.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm curious where in the sky this is located? What constellation does it appear in? The reason for my question is I am wondering if there is a possible relation between this area and where we may witness an event on 12/21/2012. Any ideas?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This may be an useless experiment, but why not point Hubble at it and do a deep field kinda picture to see what shows up? I mean, didn't they point it at a spot where they thought very little existed anyway? Look what happened with that, lots of stuff in a sliver of sky we thought was pretty much empty.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonymousproxy
ever thought it could be an eye looking in?

lol Now that's just deep!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Maybe a dark rift is starting to swallow the entire universe, there is some theory that the universe would expand so far that it would eventually collapse, heck maybe we just stumbled upon a crack.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Supposedly, you need exotic matter(negative mass) to keep a wormhole open. So perhaps my original guess was not so off after all.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SneakAPeek
I would have to suggest that this hole was made by a gamma ray burst, it's nothing but light.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by SneakAPeek]

You sir are very likely correct. In usual form the vast majority of people don't read the actual article... Gee I know they're just astrophysicists, but their opinion on the matter should at least be considered, before being tossed out in favor of the juicier explanations =)

First of all, it's a hole in a cloud, not a hole in the fabric of spacetime or anything. There'd be no way to detect that anyways, not with our telescopes. To paraphrase what the astronomers working with the Herschel Infrared Observatory are saying about it - the hole in question is found in NGC 1999, a nebula found in the constellation Orion.

from hubblesite.org...

Technical facts about this news release:
About this Object
Object Name: NGC 1999
Object Description: Reflection Nebula in Orion
Position (J2000): R.A. 05h 36m 25s
Dec. -06° 43' 05''
Constellation: Orion
Distance: The distance to NGC 1999 is 460 pc (~1500 light-years).
Diameter: The diameter of the entire nebula is 0.9 light-years.
Dimensions:

This image of a portion of the nebula around the central star is 75 arcseconds (roughly 0.55 light-years) along the horizontal side.

So it's a nebula in which stars are forming. Newborn stars have some unique characteristics that their more mature counterparts don't, like thick accretion disks and jets of material being shot out in opposite directions.

from www.universetoday.com...

New stars are born out of vast clouds of cold gas and dust. As the collective gravity of the gas pulls inward, the whole collection starts to spin. As the star grows in the middle, it spins faster and faster, and a disk of planet-forming material forms around it. Powerful jets fire off from the top and bottom of the star to relieve its accumulating pressure. Eventually the envelope of material falls onto the spinning disk, and the jets halt.

And now coming full circle to the hole, consider that this is a thick cloud of dust which is also acting like a nursery for newborn stars, which are prone to develop twin jets of gas ejected with enormous velocity. It's almost certainly the mechanism involved here.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I like the OP "that's the opposite of what we expected to be there" quote lol.

I love how people are ASTONISHED at how brilliant "scientists" are when they find something AMAZING that they were balls wrong on

THen they trust these same scientists when they tell them "oh we know for a fact the earth is 6.28349958324 bilion years old... and 2 days... and this is the chemical make up of the atmosphere 2.58384958345 and 9 hours ago... OH, and the globe is warming so how about you give us more money and ur freedoms.

Oh what is is people. Do we wanna find it amazing when they are wrong, or should we be amazed when they are RIGHT!.. I vote for "when they are right" cuz so far, historically.......... science is goose eggs

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
That top image almost looks like a front view of the Sphinx.

Is the one in Egypt staring back at this one in space?

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by fbipeeper

Oh what is is people. Do we wanna find it amazing when they are wrong, or should we be amazed when they are RIGHT!.. I vote for "when they are right" cuz so far, historically.......... science is goose eggs

Thanks for posting that little nugget of truth. The harder scientists try to disprove God, the more assenine they look. Ha! Karma indeed.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Space is just one huge hole.

A hole in space makes it sound like there is a rip into somewhere else.

Disappointed again.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

you have holes, the planets have holes...why can't the universe have orifices?!

it could be a natural portal to another dimension or its the big bang's ground zero or both...who knows

[edit on 14-5-2010 by reject]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join