It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A hole in space… no really, an actual hole!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Eeeeek! It's the Langoliers!!!

Jeez that movie was so crap it was awesome!

IRM

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Could this have possibly been just a star or Super Nova that imploded recently? Or would that have some type of signature to it? Further, is it possible for things that large to implode and NOT create a subsequient black hole? Surely if something that large imploded, everything around it would be destroyed with it..

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sorry to bring us down to a more realistic explanation but...

The astronomers think that the hole must have been opened when the narrow jets of gas from some of the young stars in the region punctured the sheet of dust and gas that forms NGC 1999. The powerful radiation from a nearby mature star may also have helped to clear the hole. Whatever the precise chain of events, it could be an important glimpse into the way newborn stars disperse their birth clouds.

Full article here.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Although traditional knowlege of space would concur with your disbeleif, I cannot help but wonder if all this is , is a blank section of space. Perhaps some matter anti matter explosion caused the gap ?
Whatever caused it, I think its important to realise that humanity lacks the expirience required to plumb the true depth of the mystery of space. Untill we all live and work in it, we will not have the mental capacity for accurate assumptions on the causes of currently un explainable phenomena.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Star and Flag because this is simply fascinating. Not quite as interesting as would have been a hole in the fabric of space-time, but nonetheless fascinating.

A "hole" in a star cluster for which there is no apparent cause (the hypothesis in the article notwithstanding) could argue for the existance of a "Galactic Level" civilization. I forget which level number Dr. Kaku assigned to these...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Perhaps it's ment for use to think it's a cloaking device, possibly a trap of some kind, trying to lure other beings to it?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You think this is interesting (as do I)? Then check this out.

www.nrao.edu...

An ostensible hole in the universe, one billion light years across, in which we speculate that not even dark matter exists.

This kind of thing always makes me wonder.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think it could be a cloaking device - you all think a cloaking device must make an object/place/person/thing hidden from view. But think about it, it could be a cloaking device that has a very strong forcefield.

So basically it's cloaking itself from dangers from the outside.

Not saying that's the true, but it's a possibility.

There is so much about space we don't know about, so who knows what the hell it is really...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
S & F, interesting read - thanks!

What if there is absolutely no reason at all, it just exists as it does, can you imagine something being something just because, no reason no why or how or what, just is.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Wormhole IMO

Second line. Have fun discovering.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

My thoughts exactly.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Temperature Drop

What if there is absolutely no reason at all, it just exists as it does, can you imagine something being something just because, no reason no why or how or what, just is.

Because there are people like us who want there to be a reason or explanation, there will always be one.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's the planet Kricket, where they made all the killer robots! Arthur Dent and Zaphod Beeblebrox should be along any time now to let them out!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
maybe this is the first real black hole?

or if you wonted to let the universe know you are there.
what better that a big hole!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_Awesome
reply to post by captainbitter

Maybe they are higher dimensional beings that are cloaking themselves in the 5th dimension and we are only seeing the 'shadow' from our perspective in the 3rd dimension. Or not.

Totally, that's what I think so called "Angels, Jens and Shadow being, etc.." are. They cross dimensions and we see a faint shadow, or camera pick up these entities because of the way it processes light reflection, etc..

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm beginning to think more and more that we live inside another body, and the hole is just a capillary, or artery, or even just a pore.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
thats pretty neat i wish that was my job

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replicator EYD
You've got to assume that something like this is of alien origin.

Oh boy, this field is [SNIP]!

censor circumvention removed

[edit on 13/5/10 by masqua]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Temperature Drop

Cause & Effect. That is the law of the universe.

What you are describing would only apply to the fabricated concept of a "God" and has no basis in science :-)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Thanks for the info OP, very weird and very interesting.

If it were a type of protective shield against harmful EM radiation of some type, wouldn't it also want to suck every last bit of EM in the IR spectrum from whatever it's shielding?

If it's the coldest thing in the Multiverse, wouldn't it try to equalize with any heat source? Including (if we're saying a planet or a complete solar system) whatever is behind the shield?

I'm only speculating here, but do you see what i mean?

Could it be a wormhole? If it's a stable wormhole, perhaps this is what they look like?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join