It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A hole in space… no really, an actual hole!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

A hole in space… no really, an actual hole!

blogs.discovermagazine.com

Wait, what? That spot is still dark? In the far infrared? That can’t be right. Even if it were only a few degrees above absolute zero it should be glowing at least a little bit.

So the astronomers followed up with more observations from the ground, and found something astonishing: it really is a hole, an actual empty region in the middle of a dense cloud! That’s the exact opposite of what they expected. There’s no there there. What could have done this?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Space is amazing. I wonder what's in it or what it could be? I find it more credible to be an object beyond what our instruments can measure.
Could it be a place repelling all forms of energy, making it the coldest place in the universe? If this is the case, then no one will ever be able to see what is inside.

blogs.discovermagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Could it be a place repelling all forms of energy, making it the coldest place in the universe? If this is the case, then no one will ever be able to see what is inside.

What if it's artificial? We know we can create materials that bend light and radiation around an object to make it appear as though it isn't there.

To me a blank area of space shouldn't be possible. It sounds like a cloaking device to me.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well that is pretty cool I must say. Space never ceases to amaze and it boggles the mind to think that there must be a perfectly good explanation otherwise it wouldn't be there, however it is beyond us at this point.

Maybe some ET's have cloaked their dwelling place? Thought I'd just throw it out there for good measure.

Edit to add: Doh' above poster beat me to the cloaking idea.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Mr_Awesome]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Awesome find, Oracle! Thanks for sharing it with us!

S & F!!!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

Originally posted by TheOracle

What if it's artificial? We know we can create materials that bend light and radiation around an object to make it appear as though it isn't there.

To me a blank area of space shouldn't be possible. It sounds like a cloaking device to me.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by belial259]

Cloaking against what? other intelligences? If I wanted to cloak myself I'd blend with the environment, not being so obvious.
If it is artificial, it could be a shield to protect a solar system from dangerous cosmic hazard?

[edit on 13-5-2010 by TheOracle]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Pretty cool stuff. I just gotta wonder what's to happen if something does eventually occupy that space (if indeed it is a hole). Also I can see the plausibility of this being a cloaking device, however it would be kind of odd to make it appear as if nothing is occupying that space. You'd think that a cloaking device that epic would be more like active camouflage, instead of creating an anomaly for us to speculate about.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by captainbitter

Maybe they are higher dimensional beings that are cloaking themselves in the 5th dimension and we are only seeing the 'shadow' from our perspective in the 3rd dimension. Or not.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Cloaking against what? other intelligences?

Quite possibly. Given that if I was a scientist I'd be very careful about examining this area of space. It's lack of features make it rather conspicuous.

If it is artificial, it could be a shield to protect a solar system from dangerous cosmic hazard?

Or maybe it is a cosmic hazard and it's been shielded to protect the outside?

If there were advanced intelligences out there with superior technology to our own they could possibly adapt this same cloaking idea to channel or deflect cosmic hazards.

It could be an enormous magnetosphere for instance. I've always considered we should try to create magnetospheres of our own to protect spacecraft. So the idea that this could be artificial isn't totally insane.

But then again it could just be some natural phenomenon we haven't seen before and will totally redefine our understanding of space. Maybe as they suggest the magnetic fields of the neighbouring stars themselves are acting like a cloaking device and channelling the radiation around that hole.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_Awesome

I can dig it, but wouldn't it be even more cool if there really was a gaping hole in space. Wtf happens when you fall in a black hole an come out there? Maybe it's heaven

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I was thinking the exact same thing. What if they found a poopshoot?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

It's not nothingness.

Here is something to think about.

Nothing means no thing. Which means... there be a there there.
A hole is a thing. And something is there.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Well said indeed.
As far as I am concerned,
the only holes are the ones in our knowledge.

What's there could be anything.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'd like to know which direction, relative to the Earth, this is. Remember that we are merely pennies on the surface(or more accurately, within the "thickness of its skin," and the thickness does not increase. Only the surface area, which represents space, does) of an ever expanding balloon. If it's North, then perhaps it's a doorway to the 5th dimension.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by np6888]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Did you know the hole's only natural enemy is the pile?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Isn't there supposed to be an opposite to practically everything?
Matter - Antimatter
Protons - Antiproton
Electrons - Antielectrons
Existence - Nonexistent

Or is it like the light/darkness debate? Darkness doesn't really exist is just an absence of light. Erm... There isn't really nothing is just an absence of something?

Either way, be it a place holder or something new, I wish to touch it.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

In this case, it could be "mass" and "negative-mass"(or mass/gravity that repels, which is not the same as anti-gravity). It seems to me that something must be pushing apart the cloud that allows a hole like that. Either that, or gravity is absent within the area of the hole.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
ever thought it could be an eye looking in?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
i have not yet heard anyone say that this could be the 'White Hole'

that the energies & dense matter membrane which was once a Black Hole in our physical dimension
actually collapsed through the fabric of space into another dimension and resulted in that universes' Big Bang event...their beginning of time/space

i reckon White Holes are very rare indeed, depending if there are multi-verses beyond
or only the 10 theorized dimensions in the popular 'string-theory' model

by all logic, the White Hole should become no-more as the fabric of space & the energies of this universe close up the nothingness that is temporarily 'there',
it should 'close' at the same rate the expansion of our universe is proceeding , or as fast as probability allows

[edit on 13-5-2010 by St Udio]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Not really a hole in space, but a hole in a cloud.

A Massive hole, what could have punched a hole like that through the nebula?? A rogue planet? Blast of energy from a star? Though if something actually punched through one would think maybe there would be trails of gas and starstuff leaving the hole. hmmmmm

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join