It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father shields baby from careening car

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Great job daddy!

I remember Dirk Benedict on UK's big brother show saying that when you don't have kids, you're selfish. If your boat is sinking you'll jump into the lifeboat as fast as you can. When you're a parent, you throw the kids in the lifeboat first without even thinking. It's nature.

But it's not just dads though, mothers are equally if not more protective of their children. That includes animals with their young.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm a little surprised by some responses. I wasn't really trying to convey the father was a hero, even though I think he performed amazingly in that situation. I just thought the video was intense, and that it was heartwarming to see.

Also wanted to say that while I know that men are very protective (myself being a little overly protective) I have no doubt many mothers would have done the same. My mother probably would have just she-hulked and swatted the car away like a fly.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

That was a great story too!

Awesome catch! Another set of ordinary people doing extraordinary things - nice to hear some people are on the lookout and quick thinkers in times like that.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
OMG!!!!! as a father of two i almost cried when i saw this... i mean i praise that man for doing that and being a true father to his baby, this man deserves something for his heroines.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Look, I won't get into the discussion about this guy being or not a hero. What I dont get is what the heck he was doing with his baby in a car with an 82 yr old driver!

Dude, I have a lot of respect for old people. I love my grandpas and grandmas. But people should know that after a certain age it is dangerous for them to drive! I really don't like to see old people behind the wheels. That old person having a heart attack behind the wheels is nto a freak accident. Those accidents are actually quite common.

Why wasn't the father driving instead? Dude, you will NEVER EVER EVER see me and my family in a car with an old 80-something years old on the wheels. NO WAY!

If people didn't put themselves in those dangerous situations, then they wouldn't have to try to get out of them.

That being said, I'm glad nobody died. Maybe that's an eye opener and the 82yr old driver will decide it´s best for everyone if she doesn't drive ever again. Get someone to drive for you or use public transportation. Get a cab. A bus.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

He wasn't in the car, he was walking with his baby and his parents when the driver had a heart attack and slammed into them.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My sister was pushing her newborn baby in a stroller along the walk in front of her home when an elderly driver also had a heart attack and careened up onto the walk, the only thing that saved my sister and her infant from being crushed was the telephone pole she dashed behind. I have to say, old people behind the wheel of a car are a bigger menace than we think!

82 years of age? This person should have been driven to her destination, and not put the public at risk by driving herself. Selfish!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have to agree that it's disturbing to hear about someone that age being allowed to drive. At the very least I think the elderly should have to re-take the DRIVING portion of the test and pass a medical check every few years. Everytime I drive in Edmonds or Ballard (WA state Meccas for the elderly) I'm always astounded by the driving habits of the elderly. I see blue hair and I get out of the way.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It happened in a split second, I wouldn't go as far as to call him a hero. It's not like he had a moment to think it through. He didn't even see the car coming it was luck the child was on the other side of the car. His initial reaction is to turn away from the car flying right at him, and the baby happened to be in his arms. I'll give him props for his strong grip though. But it was mostly luck no heroism!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
Thats really amazing that he held on and the little baby didn't get hurt at all, especially since he was slammed into a plate glass window.

Here's another good news story about stuff like this. It happened in my neighbourhood and it was my downstairs neighbour and his brother in law that did it. They saved a baby that fell out of a third storey window. This happened last June.

telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com...

SAINT JOHN - The city is looking at ways to honour two heroes who saved the life of a two-year-boy in the north end Saturday.

Just before 10 p.m. on Saturday, the quick actions of James Blagden and his brother-in-law, Brain Norwood, saved the life of the toddler.

Seeing a child crawling out the window of a home on Victoria Street, the pair ran a block to make the rescue. While Norwood ran to the apartment yelling trying to alert those in the apartment and get to the child before he fell, Norwood stood below and made a superhuman catch. The little boy bounced off his arm and then he snatched the toddler out of midair by the ankles. The child survived the incident without a scratch.

I remember hearing about this. I live in freddy.

For me, this story is more about the perils of elderlies driving than anything else! Good on the dad though, would've been tough to hang on in those circumstances.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It just backs up my views that people of that age have no business driving, they do my head in. I would suggest 6 monthly testing of the over 65 age group at a cost to get them off the roads

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Since we're making up all these new laws how about making it against the law FOR ANYONE OLDER THAN 70 to get behind the freaking wheel???!!!!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Well that's a ridiculous and unfair law. There are people above the age of 70 who are extremely capable of safely operating a motor vehicle.

However, I do agree that at a certain age a driving test should be a requirement every "x" amount of months. And I also personally believe that specific conditions should bar you from operating a motor vehicle as well.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is a refreshing look at how parents should behave. This is the power of parental love; the man probably didn't think; he just acted for his child. Kudos to him and thankfully what could have been tragic turned out okay.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar02
The negativity here absolutely slays me. He's not a hero? No, he's a hero, he saved his child's life. He could have just as easily dropped the kid and dove away saving his own ass, but instead, he hung on, took whatever impact that was about to happen and shielded the baby from whatever potential harm could have came from that situation.

This man could have easily died getting hit or pinned against the wall and the fact that he put his child in front of his own safety makes him a hero.

You people are seriously disgusting who claim you "don't see a hero" or anything to that extent. You see someone trying to not get pinned against the glass? Well I see a father who was willing to die for his child's safety and THAT makes him a hero.

I think you're exaggerating just a bit... if the guy would have 'dove away' he'd be dead. You have to think, this happened in a split second, he had no time to react. He turned around because that is instinct, period. YES he is a good person for holding onto that baby so tightly, but that is also instinct.

So I say he's a good father, but really this guy is not a hero - he didn't go 'above and beyond' to save anyones life did he? If you actually look at the video he was basically forced into the position he ended up in, and he just happened to [luckily] be holding his child.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a father did what any (good) father would do, though it's an amazing, inspiring story, this is not ATS worthy., this is the kind of crap MSNBC.com and Fox use to tug on heartstrings

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by winterwarlock

That was the most pessimistic, negative thing I've ever heard anyone say here. Maybe you should watch AFTER he gets pinned by the car and he is TALKING to the baby to calm him down. Lets see your reaction to being pinned to a walk by a car, would you try and calm the screaming infant in your arms or would you scream in pain because of how bad YOUR hurt?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. It is nice to see the power that humans have. Now only if everyone could commit acts of heroism like this.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by piddles

And this coming from the person with a cute fluffy pooch as an avatar? Haha what a weird world we live in.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ratqueen
reply to post by piddles

And this coming from the person with a cute fluffy pooch as an avatar? Haha what a weird world we live in.

this is such a nothing statement. you're trying to imply something but I can't even tell what it is. I love my dog, he's super cute, but he's not conspiracy related news and neither is this.

whoever starred you is an idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join