It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Children Getting Free Supper Courtesy of Uncle Sam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I completely agree mate.. in fact, I had to drop out of college and wait till I'm 24 to go back (when the gov official thinks I no longer live with my parents, even though I have not since I was 18. Hell I live 3k miles away from them) .. And I just learned in the health care bill kids may be dependent till 26 now for FASFA. !!^!@%!^ ahhggggg

What can ya do..

But I guess when you complain about how unfair it is to be born into the Middle Class, even lower middle class.. you're just a heartless greedy bastard that hates children.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I used the work method. These loans, grants, food stamps and subsidized housing units did not exist. I worked graveyards at a truck stop and went to school days. It was hard but it was how we all did it back then. I guess humans have become weak and helpless without Uncle Sam there to do everything for them by taking money from those who earned it and giving to those who did not. Feed the children yes, but if you want to get a degree, get a job. When you take out the loan guaranteed with money taken from people like me, just say thank you and study hard. Don't waste our money. The government has no money. All they can do is take mine and give it to you. If you have to pay interest, that is only fair.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Sorry Rockpuck, I misunderstood what you meant also.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I have no problem paying interest, or paying back the loan. I have no problem with working.... But if you think an 18 year old can get enough money from working to pay for tuition, books, plus car, plus car insurance, plus gas money, ect. Get real.

The problem is that the LOW INCOME designated families don't have to pay the same interest as me. They also get FREE grant money unlike me. I have no control over what my parents give me, and they have given me nothing which means I am in the same situation as the low incomers. So if I am in the same situation why cannot I be given the same perks?

It is the inequality that I am complaining about, not whining about not being given money.

And not to derail the thread, the same exact concept can be applied to middle class children that are just as hungry as the low incomers.
[edit on 5/13/2010 by mnmcandiez]

[edit on 5/13/2010 by mnmcandiez]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I've no problem with paying out of pocket (which I've done for 3 years) .. It just got to the point of.. why am I working my ass off to pay a higher tuition than most and trying to support myself and my fiance at the same time? I did the math, I'd make more money without a degree in the short term than with .. and now with the economy I'd have a wimpy Bachelors degree sitting in interviews with masters and PhD's fighting for the same job lol.. degrees don't mean what they used to. I could take out a loan and go to a McUniversity and get a piece of paper that says I'm proficient.. garbage.

I'd like to know at what point in our history we decided higher education was for the privileged? .. Or why we have to sell our souls to private banks to afford it? No bank should own our education.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I went without food everyday for the most part and I will tell you, you can't learn in that state. I might as well have dropped out of second grade, there was not much point spending a dime "educating" me, it was a waste.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
These kids now have a chance to break the cycle thanks to these meals - they'll be able to focus at school and do well, perhaps get a college scholarship (later in life, because they didn't drop out before high school) now instead of playing up or not being able to think straight because they're starving or eating hi-sugar, fat laden "cookies and chips".

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

As an overseas observer I find it interesting that to my knowledge since every kid stopped getting milk in primary school * no such a wide scale program has existed in Australia or New Zealand . Certainly such a program as merit because it is better then giving money to the irresponsible parents just so they can spend it on something like booze or gambling . Oh and its a way of helping some of the worse off kids without demanding that teachers do anymore that takes them away from teaching core essential skills .

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

This should be across the board. It should be the standard for all of our children. Its nice to see good news for a change. This is the first time I can say "my tax dollars hard at work" and not be sarcastic.

Eat your lasagna with a smile little girl. There is more where that came from.

I absolutely agree. The entire education system is in need of reform, and a good start would be to make sure that every kid is fed at least one nourishing meal. No child should be hampered because of low energy levels.

A small breakfast and a decent lunch should be included in the cost per student, which runs into the thousands.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join