It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ACLU doing something right for a change; Protecting the right to swear.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The ACLU actually fighting for the free speech rights of the average Joe, who woulda thunk it?

The ACLU in Pa is looking into hundreds of arrests made by the Pa State Police for the horrible, wicked crime of swearing.

ACLU: Pa. Troopers Cite Hundreds For Cursing

Lawyers Reviewed 770 Citations In One-Year Span

PHILADELPHIA - Free-speech lawsuits filed Wednesday accuse Pennsylvania police of wrongly charging hundreds of people with disorderly conduct for swearing.

American Civil Liberties Union lawyers say they reviewed 770 such citations issued by Pennsylvania State Police in a recent one-year span and found most involved profanities and other legal, nonobscene speech.

The plaintiffs are a pizza delivery driver briefly jailed for cursing at a local officer over a parking ticket and a Luzerne County woman cited by state police for hurling a derogatory name at a swerving motorcyclist.

The statute carries a possible 90-day jail term and $300 fine. The woman says she paid $1,500 to fight the ticket.

Read more: My Fox Philly

It's about time someone put a stop to this abusive police practice. "Disorderly Conduct" has been used and abused by police for far too long IMO. It basically gives them the power to lock up anybody who hurts their poor little feelings, disagrees with them or makes them look bad.

Cops need to remember that they serve the public, not the other way around.

[edit on 5/12/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
'Bout damn time the ACLU did something useful. Of late I've been wondering exactly what the hell they're good for!

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I am tired of politlcal awareness.

Guess what? if you want to swear, ok.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
'Bout damn time the ACLU did something useful. Of late I've been wondering exactly what the hell they're good for!

TheAssoc.

I guess they decided they needed to take a break from bashing Christians and decided to take on a case that actually has something to do with civil liberties for a change.

top topics

join