It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pill to live past 100 ready in 2 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

The astonishing breakthrough follows intensive research into what makes cells die - and why some people dodge major illnesses such as cancer, diabetes and dementia to live beyond 100 still fit as a fiddle. The New York professor's own team at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine has pinpointed genetic variants that let people live to a "ripe old age". Those blessed with anti-ageing genes tend not to get seriously ill towards the end of their lives - but die suddenly. Professor Barzilai, among experts at a Royal Society summit on ageing, said: "I'm seeing 100-year-olds who are not only 100 years old but in great shape. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

has anyone heard about the genetics they are working on to develop these pills?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
There has been research for several decades on what is known as "apoptosis." This refers to a sort of programmed-in cellular death process.

I am a bit leery of this reported "breakthough," but some fairly interesting findings have already caused us to reverse some of the medical theories we've held in the past.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
this is purely sensationalized! ..i read it in the latest GQ magazine after all

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Why would I want to live to an age where my body would probably barely be able to function on its own? I'd rather die before I turned 25 then reach 100.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

Agreed, 100+ is imo a terrible age to be. No doubt within the next 20 years they will be able to expand the lifespan to 100+ while also slowing the aging process. I would like that.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsAgentScully

they will probably have a pill for that soon too!

or just a money making scam

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
what??? live "longer and wrinkled" pill? NOTHANKYOU .... i want a damn new spacesuit in about 30 years from now

i think humans have not reached the technological and spiritual level to mess up with genes, well they already do that and #ed up things, GMOs anybody?

FFS ego gets in the way, they sooo think they are SMART! yer, see the path toward destruction we're headed to? if you don't, you need some binoculars and a real shake from mother earth!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
When they create a companion pill that helps you retain your dignity and freedom when you're 100+ I'll start thinking about this anti-death pill. Honestly, I feel bad for people who spend much of their life obsessed with the idea that they're going to die.

We're all going to die, some sooner than others, some quietly, some violently, it's how well you live the life you have that is important.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Aren't crappy politicians already living long enough? Its time for some of those bastards to kick the bucket.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
A few years ago, the Japanese announced that they came up with the key to increased, possibly unlimited longevity.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Kind of reminds me of those people that say they will have the technology to keep us alive for thousands of years...And if they don't have the technology ready, these people are going to freeze themselves so they can be reborn when the technology is available.
Talk about overpopulation...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

to be honest unless they find a cure for certain diseases anyway they are never going to last over a 100 with a pill anyway so I wouldn't worry about over population yet

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
When you look at rockefellar, he is 90 odd now and you know that geezer and kissinger have been kept alive through technologies etc...

Personally i would not want to take this pill, but i assume many would who have had good lifes.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Before anyone should even bother with this pill they should learn the scientific background and genetics used first and find out what pill it is your popping!!

who knows it could just be a garlic tic tac

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
how can a pill prevent a bullit in your head?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The odds are that this pill would cost a lot of money, which means only the rich would be able to afford it, thus yet another way to increase the gap between the elite and real human beings.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by prettygreeneyes26
has anyone heard about the genetics they are working on to develop these pills?

I'm not a doctor or anything but my understanding is that, in healthy people, cells which malfunction are induced to commit suicide before it causes problems, like cancers. Sometimes the portion of our DNA which codes for this "suicide function" is damaged. When the cell in which it is damaged then divides, the resulting cells don't have a working suicide mechanism.

Sometimes this can happen because something the environment screws up you DNA, like smoking, and sometimes it happens because you're old and the DNA has degraded.

Some peoples DNA seems to degrade quicker than others, I imagine these pills will either help with the degradation of DNA or the suicide function of cells.

It should allow people to remain healthy in old age and live a better quality of life for longer. This is very, very good news for all of us and it may not even be as expensive as you think, 7 billion people taking 1 a day is a fairly sweet little revenue stream for any company, regardless of what you charge.

My fingers will be firmly crossed on this coming to fruition.

[edit on 13/5/10 by pieman]

Here's a good program made by the BBC that covers some of the reasearch into aging and the like.
How to live past 101

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by prettygreeneyes26

Genetic therapies for the future may be based on telomerase function.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

When the genetic material is damaged, it produces abnormal daughter cells (made to replace the parent cells that are lost). The key, however, is that the immune system is supposed to detect those abnormal cells and destroy them. Still, if the cells are reproducing quickly enough, they can make so many abnormal cells that the immune system doesn't keep up. As these rapidly reproducing cells begin to produce a tumor, they occupy space and begin to grow into the normal tissue, destroying it. As more normal cells are replaced by cancer cells, the fight for survival begins.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully
Why would I want to live to an age where my body would probably barely be able to function on its own? I'd rather die before I turned 25 then reach 100.

Because by age 100 the world will be a TOTALLY different place to now. You seem to assume the world would be the same place.....it won't be even close.

If technology keeps evolving at a faster rate. I'm pretty sure a 100 year old would be able to function perfectly fine with the advancement of robotics, nanotechnology, medicine etc, and you would probably look 25 anyway.

That's my prediction (and many scientists etc) because it makes logical sense, unless of course the world ends or world war 3 happens etc that will slow our progress haha.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join