It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has The Last Election Turned Off Voter Apathy In UK? The "New Politics"...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It seems that after years of voter apathy in the UK that there has been an upsurge in interest in politics and the "issues"... I believe that this will be a great thing for the UK... Maybe political activism will increase which always keeps our leaders on their toes... Also this so-called "New Politics" that has beeen coined by the incomming administration will be kept a close eye on by a newly "politically savvy" (or getting there) population who will no longer put up with partisan politics but will vote for those who are genuinly acting for the interests of the nation...

Maybe that is a rosey attitude.. But watching both Clegg and Cameron on TV I could not help but feel that this is a start of a new political era...

Your thoughts....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

But watching both Clegg and Cameron on TV I could not help but feel that this is a start of a new political era...

Within a year the country will collapse, and the lib dems will disappear for good, and the tories will lose an election shortly after, and Labour will win in a landslide.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It would be nice to think that things have changed. Certainly I'm very happy that the Lib Dems are in government - even if it is with the Tory gits.

Personally, I think nothing will change - we live in a corporatocracy. Murdoch & Ashcroft bought this government, even though they didn't quite get the result they paid for. Until we address the fundamental issues rotting our society - e.g. debt-based 'for profit' monetary system, religious indentured servitude etc etc, we wont get past 'old style' politics.

The dream of voting reform is within reach however....

Parallex.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
the lib dems will disappear for good, and the tories will lose an election shortly after, and Labour will win in a landslide.

The Liberal Democrats will probably have the same experience as the Liberal Unionists, in the Victorian years.
They started working with the Conservative party, and got absorbed into what is now officially the "Conservative and Unionist party".
In fifty years' time, we will be governed by the "Conservative and Democrat" party- or "Tories", for short.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I believe that this is a golden opportunity for the Lib Dems to show us what they can do... There are many right wing activists in the Tories but I think that the Lib Dems could act as a conscience for the government....

For the first time in years I am excited about the prospect of what both could do for the country IF they have the NATIONS interests at heart and NOT their espective parties..
The British people voted in record numbers in a fashion that says we need a new politics of collaberation and be done with partisan politics....

I like some of the Lib dem policies, and some of the Tories but the greater interest of the nation is what counts.. I am chuffed that Vince Cable is going to stick it to the banks for eg....

I could see a real chemistry with Dave and Nick... I hope that this signals the end of partisan politics and we have true democratic governmernt for the nation..

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I believe that this is a golden opportunity for the Lib Dems to show us what they can do...

Clegg naively fell for the bait the tories laid out for them, and his position as deputy could put him in a position of future obscurity.

I am chuffed that Vince Cable is going to stick it to the banks for eg....

Vince Cable has thrown out all of his ideals to work with the tories. If his ideals of fairness, equality and his economic beliefs were more important than being in any position of power, then he'd have been labour and not lib dem long ago.

Vince's only response to the media is that they have to work together, when asked why he's changed his mind about tory plans of taking 6 billion of the economy being a disaster. Vince Cable will only do what his new tory masters let him do, including with the banks as well with his job as business secretary.

I could see a real chemistry with Dave and Nick...

Dave and Nick - the two clowns.... add George the new chancellor in with William Hague the new foreign secretary..... I still can't believe these people now run the country.

I hope that this signals the end of partisan politics and we have true democratic governmernt for the nation..

The lib dem voters will turn to labour en masse, and signal the end of lib dem MP's, with a few joining the tories, and the rest joining labour or going independent at the next election. It's the end of a liberal democrat party, and next election labour will win in a landslide with the tories second, and independents winning a fair number of seats... IMO anyway I think that's what will happen.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by john124]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Sorry for not copying and pasting your last quote... My pc sucks lol.... But I think it is a little early to cast aspersions....

To be fair, whoever got in charge would have been faced with a economic disaster that we would ALL have to pay for... Instead of postponing it it is best we just deal with it no??... ? We all know times are hard.. Its about time the British people grew a pair and dealt with it.... Hard decisions need to be made, andnow we have the unprecidented approval of the BoE.... Lets make sure we have a nation.......

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Britain needs this government to succeed...... When we are over our current financial disaster, then we can don our jumpers again....

new topics

top topics

join