It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thepainweaver

All fixed. It was a software error. Basically it flipped a bit. They send some commands to reset and it's good to go.

www.planetary.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

IT left Earth 33 years ago, now it's claimed the Voyager 2 spacecraft may have been hijacked by aliens after sending back data messages NASA scientists can't decode.
NASA installed a 12-inch disk containing music and greetings in 55 languages in case intelligent extraterrestrial life ever found it.

But now the spacecraft is sending back what sounds like an answer: Signals in an unknown data format!

The best scientific minds have so far not been able to decipher the strange information – is it a secret message?

Alien expert Hartwig Hausdorf said:"It seems almost as if someone ha
(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 12-5-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

Of course, they're not going to release the transmission to the general public for fear of someone other than the government breaking potentially life-as-we-know-it altering intel, though I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

should we be the least bit embarresed. once again caught with our cosmic pants down. where is our back up plan?? heaven forbid we even look like we know what we are doing.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just been reading one of the quoted blogs from someone who used to work at NASA. Seems like a reasonable explanation could be the issue.

It does make sense that signals could be affected by numerous things such as the Sun, magnetic pulses etc so on and so forth...

As I detailed in Curiosity of Spirit, cosmic rays can have peculiar and devastating effects on electronic hardware. In most cases, like that of Spirit, a computer’s memory can be altered, perhaps even regions of it made unusable. I remember a meeting I was pulled into at GRC in 1992 or 1993. A recently launched military spy satellite had suddenly become effectively unresponsive. It continued to transmit, but its responses were unintelligible, and it didn’t appear to be receiving or reacting to messages transmitted to it. Ordinarily NASA wouldn’t be involved since it was a military project, but other agencies were apparently being cursorily queried for ideas as the satellite was soon going to miss a burn without which it might pose a risk to other satellites.

Astro Engineer's Blog

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

Good point, afterall, the Sun is in flux at the moment and on the verge of some of some massive emissions, so the explanation is reasonable.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I find it very hard to believe that, after 30 something years, NASA hasn't had local software upgrades. I figure, being as far away as the voyager crafts have gotten, there has to be the occasional blip... but an entire collection of data corrupted by the inverse flip of a bit?! Come on, Windows Vista could handle the random incorrect flip of a bit... and we all know how that complained about nearly everything.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by judgiebegoode
I find it very hard to believe that, after 30 something years, NASA hasn't had local software upgrades. I figure, being as far away as the voyager crafts have gotten, there has to be the occasional blip... but an entire collection of data corrupted by the inverse flip of a bit?! Come on, Windows Vista could handle the random incorrect flip of a bit... and we all know how that complained about nearly everything.

Perhaps, but I do not think that you're taking into consideration the time lag involved between terrestrial to off world transmissions, particularly to a craft that is well beyond any extraterrestrial satellites or relay stations we may or may not have beyond our orbit, so it is likely that there will not be any software updates taking place between us and the Voyager 2, not to mention the likelihood of any number of possible forms of interference that the craft could encounter in the medium of Space which we are still largely unaware of.

All things considered, one would have to conclude that whatever mishap the Voyager 2 encountered was not the result of some sentient life form.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Or was it.

Why do we believe everything that is printed or online from the government.

Can you comprehend the complexity to send a message that far? And it's like ok, all fixed, we sent a stream of data and it was received ok and we are good to go.

Sheeple

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Perhaps, but I do not think that you're taking into consideration the time lag involved between terrestrial to off world transmissions, particularly to a craft that is well beyond any extraterrestrial satellites or relay stations we may or may not have beyond our orbit, so it is likely that there will not be any software updates taking place between us and the Voyager 2, not to mention the likelihood of any number of possible forms of interference that the craft could encounter in the medium of Space which we are still largely unaware of.

All things considered, one would have to conclude that whatever mishap the Voyager 2 encountered was not the result of some sentient life form.

For the sake of science, I'll give you the interference. I'm not saying necessarily, that it's the end-all-be-all of possibilities, as there are plenty of things inside the solar system that are more capable of raging interference, than the interstellar medium.

That said, I didn't mean software updates between here and there, I meant updates in what they have at their disposal for piecing together the data on their end. We can make unbreakable passwords, but we can't tell the difference between a stuck bit, and plain garbage? A flipped bit would have it's own telltale signs, that any real programmer should find (in theory, anyway... I'm not the programmer type). Time lag, however, should have no impact on the actual performance of the craft, malfunctions notwithstanding, the craft should still receive instruction, and we should still receive data, albeit in a wider time window. The only real issue would be distortion/loss over the distance, due to interference, but again, that also has it's own telltale signs, that NASA is able to filter out, and boost the received signal.
edit on 21-10-2010 by judgiebegoode because: derp moment in quoting, put /quote but not initial quote block

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Maybe it just ran out of solar fuel and got lazy

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GF3w3ww2
Maybe it just ran out of solar fuel and got lazy

It's likely got a Plutonium 238 power source.

We put 5 plutonium 238 power units on the moon with the Apollo Lunar Surface experiment missions and they are all still putting out 70% power.

Voyager 2 could run for many years to come.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Going off a tangent on the 29ET Msg thread I came across some information suggesting the Voyager 2 was "commandeered" on Apr 22 and sent a strange transmission back. Searching a little more I found this thread. Anything more become of this?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by thepainweaver

All fixed. It was a software error. Basically it flipped a bit. They send some commands to reset and it's good to go.

www.planetary.org...

The old ways are always the best

Voice over radio: 'Peep Houston we have a problem with Voyager 2 Peep'
Houston: 'Peep Have you tried turning it off and on again?Peep'.

edit on 24-4-2011 by colin42 because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join