It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic 'Pixie Dust' made from pig bladders helps 'regrow' limbs of wounded soldiers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

A powder nick-named "Pixie Dust" is being used to save the limbs of war heroes who have been wounded in Afghanistan.

Surgeons have already used the dust to save several soldiers so badly mutilated that they were at risk of amputation.

Made from pig bladders it has the ability to help the human body grow new tissue to replace large areas of a leg or arm destroyed by blast damage.

Professor Steve Wolf one the US's top plastic surgeons -is carrying out a trial in Houston, Texas on victims of the Afghan fighting and has already treated several young soldiers whose limbs were so badly damaged they were unable to walk or faced amputation.

He said: 'The word has got around about how this substance from pig bladders has got this magic ability to grow new tissue. Then one day one of the patients used the phrase 'pixie dust' to describe it and the name stuck

'We don't quite know how it works which adds to its magical qualities. We think that it attracts cells in the body that have the ability to multiply and gives them a chemical signal to make new tissue.'

www.dailymail.co.uk...

If this "pixie dust" is successful, as it seems to be, this is good news for our soldiers, or anyone who suffers tissue damage.

It seems that "magic" does exist.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be 'pigsie dust'? Ha!

Bad joke aside ... this is pretty amazing if it works!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Crickey!

That's simply amazing. With technical wonders like this, I'm excited about what might be round the corner.

The obvious concern though, is that this is effectively an experiment to see if it really works... I suppose we will see.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reminds me of this story from a while back.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I've heard about this a year or so ago I think. Anyways, here is a video.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
reminds me of this story from a while back.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pretty sure it's the same thing!

It's been available to vets for a few years & one who I know that tested it out a good while back said it done nothing at the time.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It's not magic, it's science.
It's not pixie dust, it's a dried collagen based extra cellular membrane.

Just because the properties are still not fully understood is no reason to attribute some sort of magic to it.:shk:

Sure, this could be a great advance in medicine, but reading that article posted brought me to the point of anger over the poor journalistic quality.
Magic, magically, magical, all used repeatedly. And the Pentagon does not spend millions of pounds on anything, they spend dollars.

Last point.
It does not regrow limbs like a salamander's tail. It assists in healing deep wounds that would otherwise be far worse.

Facts people, facts.............

EDIT: ElectricUniverse, you still get a star & flag for bringing this to our attention. Nothing against you, just the way the Daily Mail reported it.

[edit on 13/5/2010 by anxietydisorder]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

The video shows it completely growing back the part of the thumb that was missing, about the last 1/2" to 3/4" of the thumb. A thumb is not a limb, but that is getting a good start on what may be discovered later.

If they made the dust out of human tissue instead of pig tissue, I wonder what would happen?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
It's not magic, it's science.
It's not pixie dust, it's a dried collagen based extra cellular membrane.

For crying out loud...don't you understand a joke?.... and here I thought the
would give out I was kidding.....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

magic is science, as is everything.
and even when science finally does understand it... it will still be magic!

but yeh great news, for everybody. growing bits back is definitely a good thing.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by darkcircle2009]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
they have this stuff called quick clot, that is a powder. We call that stuff pixie dust too. i doubt it the same stuff, quick clot is just like the name sounds, it causes the blood to clost better so bleeding can stop. Massive bleeding is a major cause of death in the battlefield. i don't think they use it much anymore. guys were opening the package with their mouth and would get some in their mouth, major major cause of cotton mouth for days. oooopps.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I think I remember hearing about this before, too; it sounds familiar. Still, it is a great discovery, and nothwithstanding the yuck factor of pig bladder, I'd use it in a second if it would help a wound I suffered in the future.

I wonder if Islam permits the use of this kind of thing on Muslims? For some reason that popped into my . when I read the article.

top topics

join