It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeds for SHTF

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Your thread has good information in it. I think it should be a sticky as it's real "grassroots" long term survival information.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

Another thing is to know what else to plant with your veggies. For example plant marigolds with your tomatoes to help prevent aphids.

Ahh, companion gardening. Getting a little off the thread topic, but for anyone wanting to make their seed go farther, and have a higher yield of crops, this is very important. Pick up a copy of Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte.

No I dont get anything from the sale of the book, but it is by far the Bible when it comes to companion gardening.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I welcome any posts relating to gardening on this thread.
I will be happy with any advice you can give.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I also purchased a lot of seeds that have medicinal
properties.I have some tobacco seeds as well.I am
not trying to push any companies seeds on this board.
This is where I bought the medicinal seeds and it shows
what they are used for.I hope this helps someone.

www.tradewindsfruitstore.com...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

I have just started back gardening after a few years break, and would like to throw in a couple hints about gardening. I live in Florida, and gardening here is like in other areas , it has it's own rules. When starting, there is a lot of trial and error. Growing vegies, and making enough to feed a big family is a lot different than growing a few things just to have a litttle vegies to eat during the growing season.

One thing that I found out, was that you can plant a lot closer in spacing, than what the seed package reccomends. Also, when planting things like green beans, I planted them in double rows or 4 rows to a section. It's a much better use of space, and you get a larger yeild out of an otherwise "seed package" recomendation. Most vegies can be planted in a heavier grouping, giving way more yeild out of the same ground.

I generally planted in rows the size of which I could effectively harvest by going down each side of the row to harvest. Usually, that was 4 feet wide rows. Planting is not that hard,but picking all those peas and beans by hand is very labor intensive.

As a rough guide to how much seed produces how much beans, I could fill up a 30ftx50ft plot full of beans by using 2-3 pounds of bean seeds. 2 pounds of bean seeds is a lot of seeds. if you plan to grow a large plot of mostly things like green beans, you need to find a seed and feed store that sells by the pound. The value you get for that 2-3 pounds of seeds is great.

a few years ago, my wife and I canned about 65 quarts of green beans off of one large plot of beans. We have finally finnished off those last few jars of beans.

Don't kid yourself. if you plan to feed your family on a large scale with a home garden, you better have the square footage of land, and get ready to work. it ain't easy, but there is a satisfaction eating what you grow yourself. Sometimes, it's easier and cheaper to go buy the stuff at a local fruit stand. But the knowledge you gain through growing your own stuff will last a lifetime.

Besides, that aerobics program you've been thinking about doing, can be replaced with working a rake and hoe for an hour or so every evening. it's a good kind of tired. I know that sounds hokey, but when you see your stuff growing, and you actually get to eat what you worked for yourself, it's very rewarding, and tasty.
Good luck.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I don't know if you're planning on growing tomatoes, most people do. Just wanted to add a couple more things. Aphids can destroy your harvest quickly, they multiply fast, and can cause several diseases in plants. They also infest more than tomato plants.

Check for them at least twice a week, to catch them early. On tomato plants you'll mainly see them on the underside of the leaves. They're very small, look online for pictures so you have an idea what to look for, and the different colors.

Ladybugs eat aphids, so it would be beneficial if you had a ladybug house in your garden, you can find instructions online about making your own. You can usually buy ladybugs at a garden supply store. Green lacewings also eat aphids.

Ants love aphids, they collect the honeydew, excrement. So if you have ants in your garden you have to get rid of them first because they defend the aphids from predators like ladybugs, etc, and also help them move from plant to plant.

If you do find aphids in your garden another thing you can do is to mix some dish soap (not the anti bacterial kind) with water and spray it on the aphids and your plants. This mixture washes off the waxy coating on the aphids and they become dehydrated. It's also a lot safer than using pesticides, and washes off when it rains, when you water, or when you rinse your veggies before eating.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's so important to start gardening now. There is no point in saving seeds if you have no idea what to do with them if/when the time comes that you're faced with HAVING to grow them. Even if you don't have a lot of space or time right now, pick some easy to grow fruits and vegetables and at least plant them in some containers. This way you can at least get a little bit of experience with growing.

Definitely buy heirloom, open-pollinated seeds--even if they cost more. Hybrid seeds can't be saved, so after you've harvested once, you have to buy new seeds again for the next year. With heirloom seeds, the initial cost may be more, but you can save seeds and plant again the next year at no cost (and so on).

Also, grow organically. If stuff really does hit the fan, man-made fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, etc. are not going to be available, so it's better to know NOW how to work with nature, rather than having to learn under bad conditions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join