It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Jews do not believe Jesus the Christ was the messiah.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If there is a Jew on this board, please tell me what the (In your faith.) true messiah will do!

When and where will he come from and what is his agenda?

I would love to be enlightened. I never looked into the Jewish faith on this subject and its VERY interesting to me.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Theone2000]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thats something interesting right there? How about basically getting a few on here regarding each religion? Then we can see for ourselves because, me, personally, i havent got the slightests regarding other religions? Would be interesting to see if there are similarities or not?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They believe he was a very naughty boy.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Thats something interesting right there? How about basically getting a few on here regarding each religion?

That would be cool. Jews, where are you at when we NEED you!? (No offense, Just having fun!) but I am very interested in what your messiah will be like and do. Since in your religion the messiah has not come yet.

I'm, Jewish, German and Irish, (An American mutt!) but I got no clue on this stuff.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
oops, never mind read the question wrong...

[edit on 12-5-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm not a jew. However this thread almost makes me wish I were.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Theone2000

Jesus, what is the need of this jesus in our life now? this fictional character this man of magic, turning water into wine, walking on water - performing magic tricks to gain his followers. Yes the stories are motivating (some of them) and show people how to treat others with common human decency, but do you actually believe this whole thing? like with no real data?

Can we not use our intelligence and empathy and all just get along without believing in an unfounded, unfalsifiable story such as those in the bible and the whole notion of god and you being inferior to him. No one is superior to other people, and there should be no need to fear death or "judgement day"

Anyway, jesus did a bunch of parlour tricks compared to what his father allegedly created, why heal a few sick? why not just heal all the sick? Meh carry on accepting and not questioning, you will lose your intellgience.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
oops, never mind read the question wrong...

[edit on 12-5-2010 by I_am_Spartacus]

Its OK, we still LOVE you!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

Perhaps because he finds the topic interesting? Why else ask the question?

To answer the OP, to the best of my knowledge which is limited, some did, some didn't... Not much of an answer, I know... Hopefully one of the more scholarly members will help us out here.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Jesus, what is the need of this Jesus in our life now? this fictional character this man of magic, turning water into wine, walking on water - performing magic tricks to gain his followers. Yes the stories are motivating (some of them) and show people how to treat others with common human decency, but do you actually believe this whole thing? like with no real data?

Can we not use our intelligence and empathy and all just get along without believing in an unfounded, unfalsifiable story such as those in the bible and the whole notion of god and you being inferior to him. No one is superior to other people, and there should be no need to fear death or "judgement day"

Anyway, jesus did a bunch of parlour tricks compared to what his father allegedly created, why heal a few sick? why not just heal all the sick? Meh carry on accepting and not questioning, you will lose your intellgience.

I would have to agree with you. I'm not a fascist christian. I believe the bible to be stories of myth that give morals to the masses. If you read the gnostic bible its more down to earth. I don't think he does magic tricks in the gnostic bible. He just gives out his morals to the people. Persecute me for saying this or not but, humans evolved morally because of him.

It's been 2000 years ain't he suppose to come back every 2000 years? hehe

Since Jews do not believe Jesus was the messiah, when will the Jewish Messiah/Christ (Meaning one in touch with the divine.) come and what will he do?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Jesus, what is the need of this jesus in our life now? this fictional character this man of magic, turning water into wine, walking on water - performing magic tricks to gain his followers. Yes the stories are motivating (some of them) and show people how to treat others with common human decency, but do you actually believe this whole thing? like with no real data?

I think the answer to that is an obvious no.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I agree with you in a way - As an atheist myself i do not have contempt for gnostic or agnostic's for their beliefs - it kind of figures, we have creation, so it could well be that there is a creator..(but that we'll never know).. but the beliefs in many organised religions are unfounded, unfalsifiable and restrain people from living as an individual and clearly indoctrinate fear into the masses.

But many religions claim they know what god wants, and how god wants them to live their lives and they personify him and percieve him to be angry and tyranous force when provoked, it ingests fear into the masses specifically the whole Heaven and Hell fad.

Again, i don't doubt some biblical messages are fairly logical and moral messages to send out but to take it literally is just beyond me. If they spent more time showing kindness, love and empathy rather than preaching to people and telling them to REPENT!!! or PRAISE JESUS - the world would be a better place.

If they taught you moral lessons about murder, ethics and morality but said "however you think of the universe, of reality, of a creator is entirely up to you" i would be fine with that, HEC i'd probably even join one of these religions. But until then we are only going to be separated because of difference in idealogy and war will carry on.

Peace (someday hopefully)

[edit on 12/5/10 by awake_and_aware]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I agree with you in a way - As an atheist myself i do not have contempt for gnostic or agnostic's for their beliefs - it kind of figures, we have creation, so it could well be that there is a creator..(but that we'll never know).. but the beliefs in many organised religions are unfounded, unfalsifiable and restrain people from living as an individual and clearly indoctrinate fear into the masses.

But many religions claim they know what god wants, and how god wants them to live their lives and they personify him and percieve him to be angry and tyranous force when provoked, it ingests fear into the masses specifically the whole Heaven and Hell fad.

Again, i don't doubt some biblical messages are fairly logical and moral messages to send out but to take it literally is just beyond me. If they spent more time showing kindness, love and empathy rather than preaching to people and telling them to REPENT!!! or PRAISE JESUS - the world would be a better place.

If they taught you moral lessons about murder, ethics and morality but said "however you think of the universe, of reality, of a creator is entirely up to you" i would be fine with that, HEC i'd probably even join one of these religions. But until then we are only going to be separated because of difference in idealogy and war will carry on.

Peace (someday hopefully)

[edit on 12/5/10 by awake_and_aware]

Check out this post.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Back on Subject.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The concept of the messiah seems to have developed in later Judaism. The Torah contains no specific reference to him, though some Jewish scholars have pointed out that it does speak of the "End of Days," which is the time of the messiah.

The Tanakh gives several specifications as to who the messiah will be. He will be a descendent of King David (2 Samuel 7:12-13; Jeremiah 23:5), observant of Jewish law (Isaiah 11:2-5), a righteous judge (Jeremiah 33:15), and a great military leader.

Jews do not believe that the messiah will be divine. A fundamental difference between Judaism and Christianity is the Jewish conviction that God is so essentially different from and beyond humanity that he could never become a human.

Moreover, Jews find no foundation in the scriptures for such a belief about the messiah. Passages viewed by Christians as indicating a divine messiah (such as the suffering servant of Isaiah 53) are viewed by Jews as speaking of the people of Israel. In general, only the following passages are accepted as referring to the messiah:

•Isaiah 2, 11, 42; 59:20
•Jeremiah 23, 30, 33; 48:47; 49:39
•Ezekiel 38:16
•Hosea 3:4-3:5
•Micah 4
•Zephaniah 3:9
•Zechariah 14:9
•Daniel 10:14

The "when" of the messiah's arrival is not made clear in the Tanach, and has been a source of much scholarly speculation. In general, attempts to predict the exact date are discouraged. Though millennial fervor has never been as strong in Judaism as it has been in Christian and Islamic movements, there have been those who either claimed to be the messiah or to know the date of the messiah's arrival. One notable example of the former is Shabbatai Tzvi, a 17th-century man who claimed to the messiah, then converted to Islam under threat of death.

A wide variety of opinions have been given by Jewish scholars as to the circumstances that will prompt the messiah's arrival. Some say the messiah will come when the world is especially good; others say when the world has become especially evil. The biblical clues that are offered suggest the messiah will come after a period of war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16).

When the messiah does come, he will inaugurate the messianic age (sometimes called the Olam Ha-Ba, World to Come). The Tanakh employs the following descriptions about this period:

•Peace among all nations (Isaiah 2:4; Micah 4:3)
•Perfect harmony and abundance in nature (Isaiah 11:6-9) (but some interpret this as an allegory for peace and prosperity)
•All Jews return from exile to Israel (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5)
•Universal acceptance of the Jewish God and Jewish religion (Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; 66:23; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9)
•No sin or evil; all Israel will obey the commandments (Zephaniah 3:13; Ezekiel 37:24)
•Reinstatement of the Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-27)
Ezekiel 37:24-28 sums up many of these requirements when it proclaims:

And David my servant shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. they shall also follow my judgments and observe my statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Yaakov my servant, in which your fathers have dwelt and they shall dwell there, they and their children, and their children's children forever; and my servant David shall be their prince forever.

Moreover, I will make a covenant of peace with them, it shall be an everlasting covenant with them, which I will give them; and I will multiply them and I will set my sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore. And my tabernacle shall be with them: and I will be their God and they will be my people. Then the nations shall know that I am the Lord who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary will be in the midst of them forevermore.

I'm not Jewish but I hope that helps. But all Christians practice judiasm to some extent, the old testament.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
www.jewfaq.org... All you need in one link.

What About Jesus? Jews do not believe that Jesus was the mashiach. Assuming that he existed, and assuming that the Christian scriptures are accurate in describing him (both matters that are debatable), he simply did not fulfill the mission of the mashiach as it is described in the biblical passages cited above. Jesus did not do any of the things that the scriptures said the messiah would do.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theone2000

I'm, Jewish, German and Irish, (An American mutt!) but I got no clue on this stuff.

I always get a kick out of this, when people say they are part Jewish. You do know it is a religion right?

As for your question, it is uncertain. Just like every other mystery and uncertainty that religion and the religious dismiss with a passage from an ignorant man just like ourselves.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thanks. You did your home work!

I'll be waiting for him!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tribe27

Many people don't know being Jewish is a religions matter.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribe27

Originally posted by Theone2000

I always get a kick out of this, when people say they are part Jewish. You do know it is a religion right?

As for your question, it is uncertain. Just like every other mystery and uncertainty that religion and the religious dismiss with a passage from an ignorant man just like ourselves.

I was told when I was young that my grandpa was Jewish. Not sure if he comes from the tribe of David or not. From what I understand. There is people that believe in the Jewish religion that are not Jews. Then there is the linage. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm not Jewish!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Both my parental grandparents are Jews from Europe. But I was told that my mother had to be Jewish. In order for me to be Jewish.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join