It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

GA College Steps in to Help Illegal Immigrant Student

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

GA College Steps in to Help Illegal Immigrant Student


www.foxnews.com

No one denies that 21-year-old Kennesaw State Student Jessica Colotl is in the U.S. illegally.

Colotl came to America from Mexico with her parents when she was 10-years-old.

"They never thought that this would happen," said Colotl's mother, through an interpreter.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
www.myfoxatlanta.com
www.facebook.com




posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here's the story in a nutshell:

-- Girl moves illegally to the US from Mexico at age 10
-- Life continues, attends school, parents work
-- Girl goes to college
-- Gets pulled over and arrested for driving with an invalid driver's license
-- Goes to jail, deportation proceedings begin
-- College steps in, requests Federal Government to allow her to stay to finish getting her degree
-- Federal Government says: OK -- get degree then go back to Mexico

Some highlights to consider:

-- Parents needed an interpreter despite living in the US for more than 12 years

-- Parents "never thought this would happen"

-- Federal Government rules -- Sure, get your degree. No problem.

-- She has, by my count, committed at least three crimes:

* illegal entry to the US
* invalid driver's license
* Forged application to the college (questions citizenship)


Yet, here she is. Anyone want to guess that come graduation day she'll not be deported....or found?


Kennesaw State University officials said they reached out to the federal government on Colotl's behalf and she was granted a deferment to finish her education.


So, if you or I broke more than 3 laws, would we be sent on our merry way?

This is why Arizona has taken it upon themselves to tackle immigration. The Federal Government doesn't care.

Final thoughts:


"Why didn't this person go back to her country and do the legal paperwork to come back legally? There's the key question. Are we condoning cheating at Kennesaw State University?" asked Kent.


Good question.
Anybody want to answer?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to correct: No license, not a fake license

[edit on 12-5-2010 by lpowell0627]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
how come we never hear about the thousands of americans illegally entering Mexico for cheap healthcare?

I mean you hear somewhat of the ones entering Mexico and living there, retirees mostly but not about the ones illegally entering Mexico.

What's that all about?

Anyhow, i'm proud of this college!


Show everyone else how to be tolerant!



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Without Immigrants a lot of the veggies and fruits would not be picked.

The U.S. allowed her to stay cause she is paying money and doing so is good for the school.

Without Immigrants life would be a lot different.

I am thankful for them, as should other people.

People say they are a drain on the economy, please understand that there would be no economy without them.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
how come we never hear about the thousands of americans illegally entering Mexico for cheap healthcare?

I mean you hear somewhat of the ones entering Mexico and living there, retirees mostly but not about the ones illegally entering Mexico.

What's that all about?

Anyhow, i'm proud of this college!


Show everyone else how to be tolerant!


Oh great here we go...the 'tolerance' brigade has arrived on the scene.

and you just happened to have a avatar nav'i avatar.......

[edit on 12-5-2010 by tauempire]

[edit on 12-5-2010 by tauempire]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
so how bout charging Kennesaw State University officials
with aiding and abetting criminal activity.

every one of them who helped should be fired.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint
 


Exactly.....won't happen though for fear of the prosecutor being labeled a racist.....It constantly amazes me how people exagerate the importance of illegals. Someone else posted we wouldn't have an economy without them......wow. Just another thread here for the apologists to come pat each other on the back.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I wonder how our soon to be Supreme Court Justice feels about this one?

She banned Military Recruiters from her college, I wonder how she would feel about banning illegal aliens from college?

Anyway this college should be banned from recieving one dime of goverment funding.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I feel for this girl, I do... but I think her justifiable frustration should be directed at the source of her problem - her parents. For 12 years they've been in this country; little to know english comprehension, didn't take step one to become a legal citizen (and for all the loopholes that allow for "sanctuary" cities, do not try to tell me that they couldn't have gotten a deferment to do so), daughter winds up paying the price.

I'm glad she was given a deferment to finish getting her degree, it'll hopefully take her far in this world. When she gets back to Mexico, I hope she tries for U.S. citizenship legally - I'd be more than happy to have her here. Intelligent, educated people seem to be in short supply in this country...

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Legion2112]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627
 




-- She has, by my count, committed at least three crimes:

* illegal entry to the US
* invalid driver's license
* Forged application to the college (questions citizenship)


So you are attempting to build a character assassination case against her? Trying to demonize her so people won't see her as a PERSON trying to get an education and better herself? (Which is more than you can say for a lot of "American" kids)

She can't be held responsible for her parents bringing her into this country illegally...no more than a 10 year old can be charged with a crime for being in a car while the parent is commiting a crime. She was brought here by her parents...she didn't come here on her own.

She didn't have an "invalid driver's license"...she had no license. But good try trying to demonize her even more...implying that she got a counterfeit license. Your not so slick in your attempts at trying to trash the image of this girl.

Lying on a college application is not a crime...it could get your application thrown out...but it is not a crime. Kids lie on applications all the time about everything from their school activities to their GPA...and if they get caught their application gets tossed. No crime...but again...way to go in trying to demonize this girl.


So I'm sorry...but you failed to try to turn this girl into a criminal. She drove without a license...which is a "crime" punishable most likely by a fine...yes...she is a big scary criminal. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit...at all...even if you weren't caught? Then you are on the same level as this "criminal".




-- Parents needed an interpreter despite living in the US for more than 12 years


What does this have to do with the girl in this case???

Is this just more attempts by you to encite more emotional response to this story? Is she "guilty" by assosciation?



I'm glad they let her stay...and this is exactly why we need amnesty...and I am confident we will see it in the near future. I'm sure that makes you feel all warm and happy that more people will be able to enjoy the full freedoms this country offers...right???



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix
 


And here I thought we had an economy because of the industrial revolution and advances in mass production and shipping; never knew it was because we had plenty of immigrants to pick our "fruits and veggies." Silly me...

I'm sorry, but that argument seems extremely naive. If we didn't have illegal immigrants to pick our "fruits and veggies" as you put it, then we wouldn't have half-assed, under-the-table paying sweatshop employers who take advantage of people either. Immigrants don't do the jobs other Americans wouldn't do, they just do them for less because they're here illegally and can be thoroughly used as such. It's disgusting the way these unethical employers operate.

So in a sense, illegal immigrants are their own worst enemies... they get none of the protections afforded to American workers because they're not legal citizens... but they just a-keep on comin', which does nothing but further exacerbate the problem and make these pinhead cheapasses feel even more invulnerable.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher
 


I don't think there was an attempt at charachter assassination as there was none needed. Her activities were illegal, she's in the country illegally, no need for what you're suggesting. Comparing driving without a license to speeding of any kind is just more ludicrous justification for the left.
I too think that amnesty is shortly coming. However, I don't think the Dems will touch it until after the november elections, they'll take too big of a hit.
What's next after we reward illegals for their illegal activities.......their sense of entitlement grows daily, so how do you improve upon it once you hand them the keys?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by adifferentbreed]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher
 


Except for the invalid license part, all he did was point out that she broke three separate laws... which, y'know, she did...

And no offense, but using moral relativism to equate speeding with failing to obtain a drivers' license because you are in the country illegally is really, really weak.

Like I said, I feel bad for the girl, but if she's angry, it should be with her parents. They had twelve years to try and obtain legal status in this country, which couldn't possibly have been that difficult since San Francisco keeps illegals who go on murdering rampages in-house. Twelve years... speak no English, send their daughter off to college with what amounts to a forged application and a car, yet no drivers' license and they have the gall to say "We never thought this could happen?"

I'm glad she'd getting her degree. She got the raw end of the deal, but at least she can take her education with her... hopefully she'll return legally at some point and add a measure of intellect and positivity to our society... but the bottom line is she got caught doing something she knew was illegal, and in turn wound up paying the price for the fact that her parents did something even more illegal 12 years ago... it bites, yeah, but it is what it is...



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112
 


If you had heard about NAFTA you would know most of our producing has been moved to foreign countries.

Like China.

The only thing America produces is scrap metal. That is our greatest export for some kind of material.

Food growth, clothing, cars, lights, pretty much comes from other places.

The only thing America has got now are Discounting corporations.

Discounting is when you take an easy job and stretch it and put it through as many layers as possible to pay as many people as possible.

There is a reason America is in a bad position, no Exportation of goods.

"When your outflow exceeds your income, your upkeep, will be your downfall." - A wise man

The unemployment is B.S. IMHO, there is so much structural damage to damn and buildings, not too mention other ecological opportunities (oil spill), and home building advancement.

I don't mean to bash, if you get that vibration.

edited for spelling.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Quickfix]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by lpowell0627
 




-- She has, by my count, committed at least three crimes:

* illegal entry to the US
* invalid driver's license
* Forged application to the college (questions citizenship)


So you are attempting to build a character assassination case against her? Trying to demonize her so people won't see her as a PERSON trying to get an education and better herself? (Which is more than you can say for a lot of "American" kids)

She can't be held responsible for her parents bringing her into this country illegally...no more than a 10 year old can be charged with a crime for being in a car while the parent is commiting a crime. She was brought here by her parents...she didn't come here on her own.

She didn't have an "invalid driver's license"...she had no license. But good try trying to demonize her even more...implying that she got a counterfeit license. Your not so slick in your attempts at trying to trash the image of this girl.

Lying on a college application is not a crime...it could get your application thrown out...but it is not a crime. Kids lie on applications all the time about everything from their school activities to their GPA...and if they get caught their application gets tossed. No crime...but again...way to go in trying to demonize this girl.


So I'm sorry...but you failed to try to turn this girl into a criminal. She drove without a license...which is a "crime" punishable most likely by a fine...yes...she is a big scary criminal. Have you ever exceeded the speed limit...at all...even if you weren't caught? Then you are on the same level as this "criminal".




-- Parents needed an interpreter despite living in the US for more than 12 years


What does this have to do with the girl in this case???

Is this just more attempts by you to encite more emotional response to this story? Is she "guilty" by assosciation?



I'm glad they let her stay...and this is exactly why we need amnesty...and I am confident we will see it in the near future. I'm sure that makes you feel all warm and happy that more people will be able to enjoy the full freedoms this country offers...right???


YUP! Here are the Bleeding HEARTS!
No Licenses means No Insurance. I would have to think, Gee,,, If this nice college girl hits me and puts me out of work and with out a car or bike,,, Who do you think will my insurance recoup all that money from.

Parents here 12 years and need an interpreter? WHAT??? With all the Free ESL classes out there for them to take at their own leisure. Lets not worry about learning English, No need to. Just press #2. and don't forget, You'll get your Spanish phone books delivered soon to your door step.

I would have to assume if her parents drove, They won't have licences or insurance either. I would like to know, Why? Why, aren't the parents being deported, The College Adopt them too? Yes, Crimes were committed and she knew it was a crime and she should be PUNISHED NOW not LATER!

But you're all BLEEDING for her and the parents. They don't Give A SH*T about you or our Laws.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by guohua]



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed
 



I don't think there was an attempt at charachter assassination as there was none needed. Her activities were illegal


Her one activity was illegal. Lying on a college application isn't a crime and her parents bringing her in to the country illegally when she was a child is not something she is responsible for.


reply to post by Legion2112
 




And no offense, but using moral relativism to equate speeding with failing to obtain a drivers' license because you are in the country illegally is really, really weak.


A crime is a crime. I could of asked if he ever drove a car without a license, but thought speeding would be more common...I drove when I was 15 years old without a license...am I an evil criminal too? Speeding is a crime...it is against the law. The comparison is valid.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
AMAZING but not surprising. I spent 8 years in Financial Aide hell and this chick gets assistance because she is illegal and they feel sorry for her, well give me a break! I pay taxes and work and I was only just this year able to get assistance for college. There should be NO reason why I get denied. I barely made enough to live off of! This just really pisses me off. Another thing how are her parents here that many years and STILL need a translator?! If I lived anywhere for that long I would pick up the language, they obviously didn't want to! I know someone who is here illegally and they refuse to speak English and it annoys the crap out of me. They expect their son's AMERICAN family to learn and speak Spanish just for her. If you are going to live in ANY country do it legally and respect their laws! If you want to be there so bad you will.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
AMAZING but not surprising. I spent 8 years in Financial Aide hell and this chick gets assistance because she is illegal and they feel sorry for her, well give me a break! I pay taxes and work and I was only just this year able to get assistance for college. There should be NO reason why I get denied. I barely made enough to live off of! This just really pisses me off. Another thing how are her parents here that many years and STILL need a translator?! If I lived anywhere for that long I would pick up the language, they obviously didn't want to! I know someone who is here illegally and they refuse to speak English and it annoys the crap out of me. They expect their son's AMERICAN family to learn and speak Spanish just for her. If you are going to live in ANY country do it legally and respect their laws! If you want to be there so bad you will.


RIGHT ON, mblahnikluver..
You Have Said It All, If they had Given a Sh*t about our Great Country, They would have at least, Tried to learn English and become legal.

No all they cared about was the freedom to break our laws and flaunt it in our faces.



posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher
 


Alright, well if a crime is a crime then, why are you getting so bent out of shape about the fact that people recognize that this girl, as sad as the case may be, committed one? Or is it just the fact that you don't like the manner in which it was pointed out?

It's kind of irrelevant anyway, responding to your posts. You've already stated in another thread that you want the borders almost completely open anyway.



posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by lpowell0627
 




-- She has, by my count, committed at least three crimes:

* illegal entry to the US
* invalid driver's license
* Forged application to the college (questions citizenship)


So you are attempting to build a character assassination case against her? Trying to demonize her so people won't see her as a PERSON trying to get an education and better herself? (Which is more than you can say for a lot of "American" kids)


No, actually, I am pointing out that she is a criminal.

Why do people take this personally? She's probably a very nice girl. She probably would have done quite well for herself in the US had she followed the laws and come here legally.



new topics

top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join