It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec student shaken by U.S. border ordeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Quebec student shaken by U.S. border ordeal

www.cbc.ca

A young woman from Gatineau, Que., says she was strip-searched and stranded in Windsor, Ont., in the middle of the night by U.S. border officials.

"It was a horrible experience," said Nina Vroemen, 20, who was on her way to volunteer at a California organic farm.

"He was trying to make it seem like … because I was getting room and board, that was considered being paid," Vroemen. "He told me that I was taking jobs from American citizens because I was going to help out on this community work
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

"They told me to take off all my stuff from the bus and I watched the bus leave," she recalled. "Two women came with blue latex gloves … I was just in a panic."

She was told to take off everything except her jumper and was patted down. Then she was fingerprinted and photographed.

This is ridiculous, what kind of thinking is this?
And what's with that "you are taking jobs away from americans" by doing volunteer work?

If they continue this type of treatment to visitors this idiot of a border security guard will take jobs away from americans in the tourism industry.

What a horrible experience from a woman just trying to help out and gain volunteer experience from an organic farm.

Seems like things are getting worse and worse and worse in the canadian-u.s. relationship.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Just to make a point, however small:

Getting room and board, for free, while volunteering is known as indirect compensation.

She is getting paid.

Do you get room and board for free in a foreign country?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING that a US border guard treated a Canadian citizen that way. I MEAN MY GOD! WTF is this nazi germany we are living? This is something a third world country does not the United States of America. What the hell is wrong with American these days? My country is going down the tubes! Taking jobs from Americans? Oh please! This border guard should be fired and his livelihood destroyed i.e. no unemployment, pension etc. I'm ashamed!

I will say this if that was my daughter that was treated that way or my wife that border patrol agent would have a visit by a masked man with a baseball bat in the middle of the night.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Just to make a point, however small:

Getting room and board, for free, while volunteering is known as indirect compensation.

She is getting paid.

Do you get room and board for free in a foreign country?

Yes I do get free room and travel expenses from my company when I go abroad to conventions and such. It is paid by the company because me travelling there is for THEIR benefit not mine.

Yes I am an employee of my company, but the logic is the same.

This woman getting free lodging is NOT being paid as she will have absolutely nothing in her pocket when she returns back home, so how is that getting paid?
Where is the legal tender?
Can she barter her experience of free room and board for food when she is back home?

Is she taking away jobs from Americans?

How can you defend this? And yes you are defending this!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I can say from experience that this is not just an American issue. I had to travel to Canada last year to perform a warranty repair on a product that was supplied by the company I work for. When filling out the customs form you have to check if the trip is for buisness or pleasure. I checked buisness since I was there to perform work. When I went to the customs desk and handed them my card, they asked once again if this trip was for buisness. When I responded that it was, I was taken to a seperate room where I was patted down, my luggage was searched and I was questioned by two different officials as to the purpose of my buisness. They demanded that I show them proof that was not getting paid by anyone in Canada. I was specifically asked if I was there to take work away from the Canadian people even after I informed them I was there to perform a warranty repair. It took almost two hours and several phone calls to my place of employment and the company I was traveling to before they let me in the country.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Unfortunate for her.

I've had some unpleasent experiences with Boarder agents when going over into the states, which I do quite often as I operate a business out of the US.

Sometimes it's trivial and other times you can be there for hours and hours.

The process is a mess IMO and it needs to be streamlined. There also needs to be checks and balances put in place to prevent Boarder Agents from over stepping their authority.

Especially in the case of a girl who is just going to do some volunteer work.

~Keeper

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hold on a second. She was volunteering to run an art workshop at an organic farm?

How does art, tie into an organic farm? She was not planning on farming, but, doing a job, that if the organic farm needed being done, they could have hired for within the US.

It's not like this woman was going to learn any farming techniques, to share in her homeleand, or that she was their to help out with the farming.

She ought to feel like she was being exploited for her experience from whatever group she volunteered through, not by the border patrol!

And no offense, but by her picture, it makes me wonder what kind of "herbs," are being raised on this organic farm!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Malachi

your experience is apples and oranges...... you were in the EMPLOYEE of a company doing something for your company.... the legalities of the transaction were considerable more confusing because it was a warranty.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow, I posted a joke thread on this the other day:

How to spot undocumented Canadians

I didn't think anyone took the idea of illegals from Canada seriously.

[edit on 5/12/10 by FortAnthem]

top topics

join