It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shelter Plans Mass Killing of Animals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

On Monday, the Ontario SPCA announced that more than 350 dogs, cats and other homeless pets at its York Region Animal Shelter would be euthanized due to a virulent ringworm infection that has already infected six staff members.

Pressure from Provincial Parliament member Frank Klees, other authorities and the public has caused the shelter to reevaluate some cases, but the killings were scheduled to begin yesterday. Emotions continue to run high. Security guards now stand in front of the shelter to prevent individuals from attempting to rescue the animals.

Rod Godfrey, the chairman of the Ontario SPCA, told The Globe and Mail (Toronto) that "protocols" for identifying contagious conditions were not followed. He said that when the infection was first identified, the affected animals were not isolated. The shelter's manager has since been fired.

The shelter has about 300 cats, 60 dogs, and other assorted animals, including rabbits and turtles. It is my understanding that only turtles have been taken off the euthanization list. On Tuesday, after public pressure, some 20 other animals were deemed treatable.

The Ontario SPCA issued an advisory stating that if you recently adopted an animal from the York Region Animal Shelter, you and the animal could be at risk for ringworm. They suggest that you visit a doctor and take your pet to a veterinarian for evaluation.

Ringworm is a fungal skin infection that can cause fur loss and patches of dry, scaly skin. As the name suggests, it often looks like a colored ring on the skin. Some strains are more virulent than others.

Maureen Anderson, a University of Guelph infectious disease expert, said in a university blog that ringworm can be treated "but it is not cheap or easy. Animals typically require systemic therapy (usually oral medication, which can be very expensive particularly in large dogs) as well as whole-body topical therapy … and they need to be treated for several weeks.”

Even without an infection outbreak, economic considerations alone have impacted many shelters. I've seen a domino effect at countless shelters and other animal rescue facilities. Many people can no longer afford to keep their pets, or must move out of a housing arrangement that allows them to keep animals. These pets wind up at shelters, which are already strapped for space and cash.

Continued at link

Source

This is quite unfortunate that this has happened. I wish there were some way to treat the problem or get rid of it entirely, effectively and quickly. God, I would hate having to kill so many animals....

join