It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval Aqueduct Found in Jerusalem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The 14th-century aqueduct runs along a route that dates back to the time of Jesus.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcb41d3eba91.jpg[/atsimg]
This aqueduct bridge funneled water from Bethlehem and across a valley known as Sultan's Pools into the Old City.

Archeologists said Tuesday they have uncovered a 14th-century aqueduct that supplied water to Jerusalem for almost 600 years along a route dating back to the time of Jesus -- but unlike most such finds, this time the experts knew exactly where to look.

Photographs from the late 19th century showed the aqueduct in use by the city's Ottoman rulers, nearly 600 years after its construction in 1320. The photo shows an inscription dating back to the aqueduct's early days.

It was uncovered during repairs to the city's modern-day water system. Public works projects here proceed in cooperation with antiquities officials in a city where turning over a shovel of dirt anywhere can turn back the pages of time, said Yehiel Zelinger, the archeologist in charge of the excavation.

The team has found two of nine arched sections of a bridge about nine feet (three meters) tall on the west side of Jerusalem's Old City, Zelinger said.

Continued at link

Source

Well this is interesting, what say ye?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So what's your point? Archaeologists are constantly making discoveries. This isn't a discovery of anything that we haven't known. It's not like it proves or disproves Jesus or anything. I'm missing the whole point, if there is one.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tellmemoreok

My point is that it's something new to me so I felt inclined to share it with others that might find it interesting or new. If you already knew about it or share no interest then don't post. Simple as that.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well *I* think it's interesting enough on its own merits, and thanks for posting about it. I love this kind of stuff.

RC

[edit on 12-5-2010 by RedCairo]

top topics

join