It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAITING FOR THE BIG ONE: A connection between Deepwater, Earthquakes, and other Deep-Well Drilling?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Like I said, you seem to be chasing demons found elsewhere.

This thread has little to do with whatever obsession you appear to be chasing.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
For all we know, Deep Drilling could have already caused big earthquakes. There are interesting accounts of the 2004 Indonesia Quake being caused by huge Gas Drilling Ops near the epicentre.

Not every big quake or small quake can be caused by this, but it may be highly possible Drilling could account for some quakes, whether big or small IMHO.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ok so I did scan the thread before responding, and paraphrased you in my interpretation of following your logic, and after all of the fanatical doomongering going on elsewhere I did project that into this thread a little too much, but this topic is another in a long line of fearmongering about Gulf oil leak related "BIG ONE" wide scale disaster.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Haven't read your thread - no time - at work -
However consider this - it has long been a well documented consideration that global Warming will massively increase earth quakes and volcanic eruption through gravitational effects of weight redistribution (heavier oceans, glaciers etc) - this would fit well with pressure variations as oil is drained from super high pressure subterranean oil reserves - perfectly well,

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Ok so I did scan the thread before responding, and paraphrased you in my interpretation of following your logic, and after all of the fanatical doomongering going on elsewhere I did project that into this thread a little too much, but this topic is another in a long line of fearmongering about Gulf oil leak related "BIG ONE" wide scale disaster.

So you're debunking this thread based upon your poor interpretation of the thread title and a cursory scan of my post(s)?

M'kay.

Were you as thorough with these 'other' threads you mention?

[edit on 16-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I think the "fearmongering " you speak of, is not so much fearmongering, but a very deep frustration and anger related to this incident.

Many people are seeking answers and there are many possibilities for the cause.

In many ways, the Gulf disaster is a perfect topic for ATS and one that will spawn several more threads in the coming weeks I imagine.

g

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

A while back on here, someone posted a video of a ford or some other major company's commercial, and one of the backgrounds used was a map of the US, and the topic of discussion was the fact that on the map, the US was split by a large waterway, in pretty much the exact spot of the pink line on the above image, opening up into the gulf...

I can't find it, and it's likely just a coincidence, but you never know...

[edit on 16-5-2010 by alaskan]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Tell me this coincidence doesn't raise the hairs on the back of your neck:

Emergency Responders Practice Earthquake Disaster Drills

When big disasters strike, communication between emergency response agencies can sometimes be quite difficult, if not impossible. That, in turn, makes rescue efforts even more complicated. This week in the Shoals, agencies throughout the state are training for disaster scenarios.

The drills are based on a major earthquake along the New Madrid Fault, which lies between the Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri state borders.

When it comes to handling disasters, state homeland security officials say communication is key.

And:

3.1 magnitude earthquake hits Southeast Missouri

The United States Geological Survey reports a 3.1 magnitude earthquake hit the area around 9:30 Saturday night.

The epicenter is about three miles from Catron and about five miles from Risco and Parma.

Heartland News has received several calls from concerned viewers. One person said he felt the quake from as far away as Kennett.

What a koinky dink!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It has to be said that this blow-out has been gushing oil and gas pretty much non-stop, except for BP's comical efforts over the last couple of days, with no water or gas replacement happening. How long do we wait before the entire gulf coast is evacuated? If I lived east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon line, I would have been moved out a couple of weeks ago.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Excellent overview loam. Great research and analysis (of course).

...I do wonder why so many people dismiss so much evidence about the effects of human activity on the planet. Is profit really so much more important than life?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

If the BOP topples I understand that you then have a hole without any plug whatsoever...the reservoirs are estimated to contain anywhere from 3 up to 6 billion barrels (see wiki or google it) which is 120-240 BILLION gallons. That's a very big empty hole, said to be deeper than mount Everest is tall.

So then you have all the oil gushing out then all the sea water trying to get in, so what hapens then, a massive collpase of the sea floor ...
would it activate the other reservoirs in the lower tertiary trend area which is a 60x300 mile area in which the Tiber field is one of 273 blocks, with the entire lower tertiary trend area estimated to contain 15 billion barrels of oil

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hi Loam, you beat me to it!

Ah the search engine does not always do what you hope it will before starting a new thread.

But the important thing is that this information surfaces and serves as a warning to anyone potentially in harms way.

If his theories are correct then if there is a complete floor rupture at the BP site, common sense tells you that it would only be a short time before the pressure would cause New Madras to erupt and erupt greater than the letting of 1811-12.

I just today found Jack Reeds Theory, which to me makes perfect sense, in fact it has me filled with dread if his theories are correct.

Ok something which has been on my mind since the ROV videos emerged today, and followed the possibility of a sea floor erruption. Especially after the thread which shows the sea floor rising imho.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is something which I have somehow sensed after reading about Geothermal energy, which I think BP was trying to do in the Gulf without permission or access to. It has proven to be very dangerous in that it sets off earth quakes and chains of earthquakes where it has been tested.

Anyway I am going to continue looking into this, and there was a thread recently where a New Madras resident discusses his home shaking constantly since BP.

I do think there is something to this, I guess I will cover the China once again with bubble wrAP...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
To those who would take the geology of the GOM as stable or in any way similar to any but some isolated volcanic areas. You need to work on the ignorance thang.
The GOM is mostly new and unstable crust only 65million yrs old.It is the remains of a asteroid impact(IMO more likely a comet due to the deep hydrocarbon) that is thought to have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
The crust is a hodge podge of plutonic structures and oil that naturally leaks large quantities of hydrocarbon due to its fractured and porous nature.
This sets it apart from any other oil operation and also makes ANY disruption of the balance of the area at least questionable.
Especially considering a severe disruption could in fact cause a massive methane release,it has happened more than once already.
I am not saying it is certain I am saying by changing the balance on the structures which make up the floor of the gulf we take chances we have no right to take. If the ONLY thing taken from this is that the GOM is a fragile place with a real capacity to drastically change the planet and needs to be treated that way and not like there is thousands of feet of solid caprock over there deposits, there isn't. There is however one of the largest deposits of gas clathrate and raw gas on the planet and if we screw it up by acting like we could not possibly screw it up we will see in graphic form how humans can change a planet.
N.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

You dont have to say ignorant, it is demeaning. If you can clarify this then do so but it is calous to start out calling us ignorant.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by N.of norml

You dont have to say ignorant, it is demeaning. If you can clarify this then do so but it is calous to start out calling us ignorant.

Well the definition of ignorance is a lack of knowledge not stupidity so in that we all are ignorant of something. So my saying it is time to work on "that ignorance thang" it is to say do some freaking homework and dispel ignorance regarding the drilling conditions of the GOM. It is unlike any other drilling area due to the recent(65million yr old) impact in the Yucatan area,the huge shallow deposits of gas clathrate and littering of salt domes throughout the strata. Then there is the fact the bedrock is formed of plutonic masses consisting of brittle granitic rock. In a sense it is more like a gravel field than bedrock and under some deep waters to boot.
I am sorry if you think I came off callous so I should warn you there are much more matter of fact fish in this pond than me who would have called this stupidity rather than ignorance.I do not think however that being ignorant equates to stupidity. Ignorance is cured by knowledge, stupidity is incurable.
I hope my wording is clarified by this post.
N.

Edited to star antar's post as it needs clarification.

[edit on 4-8-2010 by N.of norml]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
We had an earthquake in Louisiana last Sunday near Clinton Louisiana earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
To those who would take the geology of the GOM as stable or in any way similar to any but some isolated volcanic areas. You need to work on the ignorance thang.
The GOM is mostly new and unstable crust only 65million yrs old.It is the remains of a asteroid impact(IMO more likely a comet due to the deep hydrocarbon) that is thought to have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
The crust is a hodge podge of plutonic structures and oil that naturally leaks large quantities of hydrocarbon due to its fractured and porous nature.
This sets it apart from any other oil operation and also makes ANY disruption of the balance of the area at least questionable.
Especially considering a severe disruption could in fact cause a massive methane release,it has happened more than once already.
I am not saying it is certain I am saying by changing the balance on the structures which make up the floor of the gulf we take chances we have no right to take. If the ONLY thing taken from this is that the GOM is a fragile place with a real capacity to drastically change the planet and needs to be treated that way and not like there is thousands of feet of solid caprock over there deposits, there isn't. There is however one of the largest deposits of gas clathrate and raw gas on the planet and if we screw it up by acting like we could not possibly screw it up we will see in graphic form how humans can change a planet.
N.

You say it like the GOM is the only thing we tap into that can cause massive earth changes. EVERYTHING we do can drastically change the earth.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
By thinking of the Earth as a battle-scarred survivor of many things, especially the Yucatan, we can begin to understand that Earth too has weakened areas.

The scar is always more sensitive over time, just as an injury is on our bodies. I think it explains a higher radioactive level too.

I remember a show regarding the Hammerhead Shark and how it evolved by an alteration of its genetics, such as would be the case of radioactivity; I clearly remember them identifying the Yucatan collision as the likely event. The Hammerhead is a freak and a dangerous one too! I don't adore sharks like they adore us!

No fault can remain in its current location. This one just got a little help. I just pray that the water tables do not become poisoned because then it will be "the end". Everyone should start a worm farm under the sink! Just in case.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
We had an earthquake in Louisiana last Sunday near Clinton Louisiana earthquake.usgs.gov...

That's exactly what I was thinking, Kat. When I first saw the graph that said "today's earthquake" I thought "huh it was inside LA not in the gulf"
Thanks OP for stating that the graph was from 2006. So, if we put the 3.0 quake from this week into the graph it looks like it's right on the lines he drew. That guy is onto something for sure and we all know that LA earthquake was really uncommon for the area. Wake up people!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xanadu30

Originally posted by StealthyKat

That's exactly what I was thinking, Kat. When I first saw the graph that said "today's earthquake" I thought "huh it was inside LA not in the gulf"
Thanks OP for stating that the graph was from 2006. So, if we put the 3.0 quake from this week into the graph it looks like it's right on the lines he drew. That guy is onto something for sure and we all know that LA earthquake was really uncommon for the area. Wake up people!

It's very uncommon. It was only a 3.0..... but it made me stop and say hmmmm......there have been some in the past, but still very rare. It's probably not related.....but then again....when you start poking enough holes in something, over time....something's gotta give I guess!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join