It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phantom Ray: Boeing unveils spy plane of the future... that doesn't need a pilot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I dont think theres a thread already thats specifically about this, but hey......You Gotta see this!!!!
Star Wars....BS? I dont think so.

The sooner we accept that we are not been kept in the frame the better.....For all of us.
Check out the SOHO movies? Are these already up there.....NOW?

It may look like a futuristic starfighter, but this sleek gun-metal craft is Boeing's latest unmanned spy plane.

Called the Phantom Ray, the cutting-edge unmanned airborne system (UAS) was unveiled at a ceremony in St Louis yesterday.

The sleek craft has a 50ft wingspan, measures 36ft long and has a gross weight of 36,500lbs. It operates at an altitude of 40,000ft, which is 10,000ft higher than the average long-haul commercial airliner. It will cruise comfortably at a speed of 614mph, or 0.8mach, just shy of the speed of sound.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I absolutely don't believe that the cruise speed is just 614mph.

And that altitude is low too, look at the official specs they gave out for the SR71 and what it really can do.

btw I think this spy drone has been covered before here at ATS.

edit to say, Star Wars? This thing can't fly in space, the X37-B is doing it at the moment.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I absolutely don't believe that the cruise speed is just 614mph.

And that altitude is low too, look at the official specs they gave out for the SR71 and what it really can do.

btw I think this spy drone has been covered before here at ATS.

edit to say, Star Wars? This thing can't fly in space, the X37-B is doing it at the moment.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Grey Magic]

If you really knew anything about aviation, you would believe it. This thing is powered by a General Electric F404-GE-102 engine. It's a non-afterburning high bypass turbofan that puts out only 17,700 pounds of thrust for an aircraft weighing 36,500. That's a thrust to weight ratio of only .48. The SR-71, on the other hand has two Pratt and Whitney J-58s, nine-stage, axial-flow, bypa0ss turbo0jet afterbur0ning engines with 32,500 p,ounds of thrust each. At high speed cruise, the B5lackbird weighs 59,000 pound1s plus the fuel weight of, say, about 15,000 pounds at cruise. that gives a thrust to weight ratio of almost .9, or almost double the X45C or Phantom Ray. A normal non-afterburning turbofan doesn't work very well at supersonic speeds. The J-58 was designed for Mach 3 cruise and the Blackbird has variable geometry intake ducting to keep the fires lit by decellerating the airflow into the 9 stage compressor system.
The altitude limitation is a result of engine thrust and aerodynamics. As you go up, the air gets thinner. A lot thinner at 40,000 feet. Partially as a result of that, and the way aircraft are designed, as you go faster, the center of aerodynamic lift moves rearward. At some point, the distance between the center of gravity (which is forward of the center of lift) and the center of lift becomes so great the elevator can't defeat it and you get "Mach tuck" which is an uncontrollable downward pitching, usually leading to a big smoking black hole in the ground. Also, as you go higher, the stall speed, in terms of true airspeed, increases. At very high altitudes, stall speed approaches mach tuck speed or redline . It is called "coffin corner" where if you go slower, you stall nd fall out of the sky. If you go faster you dive out of the sky. As altitude increases, these speeds converge. There are also compressability limits to maximum airspeed. The air can't get out of the way fast enough and stacks up in front of parts of the a/c. Finally, speed costs fuel and if you want a UAV to loiter for hours, you better go for economy cruise.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
What's the point? Of all this crap? I mean seriously........who cares? Let's say USA dominates the world.....let's say USA dominates space? Who cares? I mean what is the big picture?

I personally believe there is some alien force controlling humanity. I don't believe everything in the world just happens at random. I.e. all these people in the military and government and the rich are just out to be greedy and power hungry. That is just our ignorant rationale to justify the way the world works. I feel there is someone controlling and guiding these new world order people. Illuminati, Vatican, Banks, whoever. They are all being controlled by something or someone. Humanity is obviously being guided into a direction of completea and total control. Annunaki? Reptillians? God? Jesus? Why is it so hard for us as human beings to change course and create a much more loving, peaceful, prosperous world?

Is it the "devil" or evil human nature? BS! That is total religious bs. We are being controlled for a very specific purpose. And for and by who is only speculation.

top topics

join