It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report downplays Iran's missile punch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Report downplays Iran's missile punch

www.spacedaily.com

"While such attacks might trigger fear, the expected casualties would be low -- probably less than a few hundred, even assuming that that Iran unleashed its entire ballistic missile arsenal and that the majority of the missiles penetrated missile defenses."

"The confident destruction of a single, fixed-point military target, for example, would require Iran to allocate a very significant percentage, if not all, of its missile inventory to one specific mission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Like Iraq was, Iran IS a joke. It's not a military power, it's a third world country.

The Iranian military budget is something like 6 billion a year. The real US military budget is above a trillion every year. That's only 150 times more... every single year...

Yet Iran is a threat? Give me a break. The only possible threat Iran is if they decide to send their army in cover operations in Iraq and Afghanistan to attack US troops there.

And MAYBE block the Strait of Hormuz for a few days with anti-ship missiles.

Israel and the US military industrial complex is AGAIN hyping the threat.

www.spacedaily.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
it doesn't matter how poor a country is. they seem to able to be constantly fighting with the weapons they obtained.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Iran isn't a third world country - they have modern infrastructure and even air-con on their underground railway system (which london doesn't have), although it will become a failed state in the event of a direct war with the US, but so will the US because of its large debts and ongoing wars elsewhere.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Have you BEEN to Iran? It's hardly a third world country. They may not be much of a match for US military or the West but a third world country they are not. Persian women are some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life. Persian culture is such a beautiful culture. I love the Iranian people. But like US government theirs is tyrannical and corrupt. I work with Iranians on a daily basis......they are very nice people although like many foreigners are pushy at times

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
When I said ``third world country`` I meant their military.

I know, Iran is beautiful and the iranian people are awesome. They love the west and love freedom.

And yes, those iranian women sure are beautiful!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Reply to post by Vitchilo

From what I remember Our national defense budget is just above 500 billion with the war tacking on another 130 billion or so. Still a lot, but not a trillion dollars. So what...roughly 6 percent of gdp. How do other countries such as iran compare as a percentage of gdp?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Like Iraq was, Iran IS a joke. It's not a military power, it's a third world country.

The Iranian military budget is something like 6 billion a year. The real US military budget is above a trillion every year. That's only 150 times more... every single year...

Iran's 2007 defense budget was estimated to be $7.31 billion by London's International Institute for Strategic Studies. That was 3 years ago. And Iran's Air Force is modern. 24 Mirages; 13 Sukhoi SU25s; 30 SU24s; 25 Mig 29s (the newer A model); 25 F-14s (bad shape due to parts embargo); 65 F-4s (newer D anE models) and 60 F-5s. Except for the Tomcats and Phantom IIs, a majority are mission capable. They have air-to-air refueling capability and have transports capable of reaching the US. They hve over 200 surface to air missile launchers and plenty of SA-5, -7 and -15 missiles. Iran's navy is almost non-existant although they do have 40 missile launching ships and a few recon aircraft.
The army (Islamic Iranian Ground Forces - IIGF) is more modern. They have a gob (that's hillbilly for "a lot") of Russian MBTs (main battle tanks.) They have about 300 SSMs and a fair number of attack helos. One reason they can keep military expenditures low is that two-thirds or so of their army consists of cheap conscripts.
I fought one air war where we underestimated the opponent and it didn't work out very well.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Yet Iran is a threat? Give me a break. The only possible threat Iran is if they decide to send their army in cover operations in Iraq and Afghanistan to attack US troops there.

And MAYBE block the Strait of Hormuz for a few days with anti-ship missiles.

Israel and the US military industrial complex is AGAIN hyping the threat.

www.spacedaily.com

And then you woke up from that dream. Iran is not like Iraq. They have jets, tanks, artillery, Kevlar, attack helicopters, and sweet missile systems... They are not a bunch of cloth adorned, untrained rabble.

It is quality equipment too, not junk.

War with Iran would be nothing like war with Iraq. I can't believe you are ignorant enough to think so. There will be a ton more casualties in Iran than the Iraqi "insurgents" could ever dream to accomplish.

It would be 100% modern war, and would last much longer than Iraq or Afghanistan and unlike either of these Iran really can defend itself.

Iran is not a 3rd world country.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Novel
Reply to post by Vitchilo

From what I remember Our national defense budget is just above 500 billion with the war tacking on another 130 billion or so. Still a lot, but not a trillion dollars. So what...roughly 6 percent of gdp. How do other countries such as iran compare as a percentage of gdp?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

You forgot about the 2.3 trillion that the Pentagon "lost track of", annouced on September 10th, 2001. 130billion would never cover the cost of American military expenses in their "war on terror", let alone the larger amount of private military contracters that are working in the middle east under American paychecks.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Iran a 3rd world country with a crappy military? It's the 5th strongest military force in the world and with 70 million inhabitants it's definitely a force to be taken serious.

Not to forget the backing they will be getting from nations around them. Since Israel is, and always has been, the instigator in the Middle East, most countries are in support of Iran. It won't be just Iran that has to be fought.

Turkey and Syria are just 2 examples to begin with.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

It's the 5th strongest military force in the world

Are you kidding?

You must be.

France, Russia, the US, China, North Korea, South Korea, Australia, Germany, Israel and the UK can kick Iran's bottom any day of the week... And this is just to name a few.

Iran ain't the 5th strongest military force in the world...saying so makes you look foolish...

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Fact that a country is RICH doesn't make it's military STRONG.

But hey, you just underestimate Iran like the rest of the world does

Time will tell soon enough

new topics

top topics

join