It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Age Old Questioning"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Line of questioning one:

Is life serious? Or is life fun? Is life to be taken as serious? Or is life to be taken as fun? Is life hard work? Or is life live entertainment?

Line of questioning two:

Is life a trap from the start to be released from? Or is life a game from the start to elevate to another level in?

Line of questioning three:

Is life supposed to be tamed? Or is life suppose to be untamed?

Line of questioning four:

Is life bright and promising?
Or is life dull and unpromising?

Line of questioning five:

Is life's reward its intelligence? Or is life's curse its intelligence?

Line of questioning six:

Is life's best thing sex that comes sometimes for you? Or is life's best thing death that comes only once for you?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

Life is all of that, rolled into one big ball of wax.

The beauty of life is not knowing which of the things you present, will happen from day to day.

Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Good questions. I have always liked this sig from a 'user on a message board'. I think it captures the essence of your question.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, WOW, What a ride!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ultimately, life is what you make of it. If you take life seriously (for whatever reason: maybe you believe in heaven/hell, etc.), then life will be serious. If you take life in a carefree manner (genuinely, meaning things like loss of possessions don't bother you much, etc. - lots of people say they are carefree but I find few actually are), then life will be more of a game.

I've always liked this somewhat pessimistic quote from Arthur Schopenhauer:

A quick test of the assertion that enjoyment outweighs pain in this world, or that they are at any rate balanced, would be to compare the feelings of an animal engaged in eating another with those of the animal being eaten.

One is getting a pleasant meal only to need another soon, the other is being brutalized and experiencing such sufferings as mortal terror, abject loss of control, horrible physical pain, etc. (Though ultimately, the joke might be on the predator, as it must continue to live and suffer, while the prey is now free from all that crap - but in any case, Schopenhauer's point stands.)

[edit on 12-5-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Some would say that life is but a joke, or all we are is dust in the wind.

Who could be that cynical?
Sometimes, me!

Out, out, brief candle....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

You get out of life what you put in and expect out.

My years are only getting longer rather than shorter because this is what I want and so I will obtain this by any means necessary. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, at least I had fun trying every possible avenue to a long and healthy life.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I would like to hear your answers to these questions.

Originally posted by Tormentations

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Another great thread, Tormentations. Very thoughtful. We all look at things differently, and I guess for me the keys are attitude and expectations. A lot depends upon how self-aware we are as individuals. For me, patience is of utmost importance. This allows me to remain calm. If I'm not calm, I can react improperly, and that makes me my own worst enemy. It's hard enough as it is without being your own worst enemy. We all know about positive thinking, but for me this includes eliminating negative thinking. We end up becoming what we think, and if we think negatively, we will soon find ourselves a negative person. My life has always been about experiences. I used to be a ridiculous risk taker, but never really got bit by it. I think life is what you make it either way. I am a bulldog, an overachiever, and I refuse to give up. If it takes me wearing rose-colored glass sometimes, no problem. I enjoy your posts, man. Rich

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeedBump
I would like to hear your answers to these questions.

Life can be either of those things in each of the questionings at certain moments. It's just that one goes through stages in life. Like where at one stage life may seem serious, then at a later stage life may seem fun. Or vise versa, or back and forth. To me though, life is suppose to be fun. I like to think I elevate onward in life. I mean, I will never change from always changing.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Is life serious? Or is life fun? Is life to be taken as serious? Or is life to be taken as fun? Is life hard work? Or is life live entertainment?

All of the above.

Is life a trap from the start to be released from? Or is life a game from the start to elevate to another level in?

Both.

Is life supposed to be tamed? Or is life suppose to be untamed?

Tamed very much so.

Is life bright and promising?
Or is life dull and unpromising?

No comment.

Is life's reward its intelligence? Or is life's curse its intelligence?

No comment.

Is life's best thing sex that comes sometimes for you? Or is life's best thing death that comes only once for you?

Some say sex and death are very close to one another.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tormentations

Life can be either of those things in each of the questionings at certain moments. It's just that one goes through stages in life. Like where at one stage life may seem serious, then at a later stage life may seem fun. Or vise versa, or back and forth. To me though, life is suppose to be fun. I like to think I elevate onward in life. I mean, I will never change from always changing.

I feel the same way. Life is all about fun most of the time. Even when it's serious, it can still be fun. By the way, we really enjoy your posts, and encourage you to keep posting.

Speedbump

new topics

top topics

join