It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife wielders

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
there really is a lot of misinformation on this thread. Be cautious of what you take from it. Perhaps when I have more time I will go through it for those interested.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A knife is nothing more than something sharp that can be held in the hand. I've seen knives with stone blades, flint blades, metal blades, etc... they are tools. As with all tools, they can be used as weapons. A framing hammer is far more dangerous than a knife as it has a longer reach, a cutting edge (nail claw), more weight and a blunt edge, and was DESIGNED to be wielded with precision. But I don't get freaked out every time I walk by a carpenter and call him the cancer of society.

A knife is a TOOL. Sometimes, you just need a freaking knife. When you're unloading your kayak and you accidently hardlined one of your slipknots into an impossible wreckage of rope, YOU NEED A KNIFE. Need to cut a stick? Knife. Need to cut a steak? Knife. Skin a snake? Knife. Defend yourself from a foul, viscious attack bunny? I'd go with a 12 gauge or a grenade to be certain, but a knife is better than nothing.

The only way to learn to knife-fight is to do it. You can use blunt sticks. Every body moves differently and you have your strengths and weakness. My personal strength is my legs and balance. Ducking, dodging and simply getting the hell out of the way. I cannot deflect blows with my arms hands and legs, but I can pull someone off balance. I've seen people use the blades themselves to deflect using short knives like miniature swords. Your strength is your mind. Know yourself and you can learn to use a knife as if it were an extension of your hand.

If you're not totally comfortable using a knife as a tool, don't even attempt to use one as a weapon.

This is just a disclaimer post. I think Semperfortis had a post up about edged weapons at one point, do a search for it. He lists the kinds of attacks, what would be right to use, etc, etc... very knowledgable.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
whats the most dangerous weapon i own . my brain using it i can turn anything into a deadly weapon. from a handfull of dirt to the tree limb i ripped off of tree. i can use it to blow stuff up or to incapacitate attacker with a blow to his femoral artery. knives and guns are just tools its the users brains or lack there of that make either one dangerous

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

Coming from someone who has been robbed/threatened by knife a few times I can tell you you can't just run away.
A person would get close to you before pulling the knife out.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Sorry about your ordeal but you are misguided. Carrying a weapon for self defense does not make one a liar or depraved or any of the things you describe. It is the character of the person that determines such things.

It is common sense and natural right to protect oneself or loved ones from evil. There is no difference in defending yourself in your home from an intruder or on the street from one who would do you harm.

Knives and guns are just tools. They can be used for good or evil as most tools it is the person who wields them that determines that and they are responsible for the actions they commit not the knife or gun itself.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Having recently read of many crime incidents in China and the UK regarding crimes by knife, I am glad I live in the good ole US of A. A person using a knfe would have to be pretty close to you and an attack by knife seems to me, to be far more fatal.

I would rather die by gun than a gruesome knife attack. There is good chance a gun wielder will miss. And if he doesn't, there is a good chance you will survive if hit. Even if you are hit, chances are you won't feel it due to shock. One can easily act dead if hit by gun fire. If your neck was slashed..........ugh, won't go there.

Please shoot me. Thank you NRA. I pity the "no gun" countries.

The only positive thing about the no gun countries is ....if you see your attacker coming after you with a knife (and not be taken by surprise), you may be able to outrun the ciminal. Provided your not a child, an older person or disabled person.

Eager to hear others thoughts on this.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

washingtonceasefire.org...

news.sky.com... 622085

Well the only 'no-gun' countries that I know of are Japan, India, Burma and North Korea.
In the UK you can own guns legit, but it's just a bit of paperwork compared to the USA where you can tool up easily.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by WatchRider]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have from time to time carried a knife, a hand gun, and a rifle for various reasons. currently I carry none of these, you will get into no trouble with what you can do with your hands in self-defense, unless you are a professional fighter of some type.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider

Well the only 'no-gun' countries that I know of are Japan, India, Burma and North Korea.
In the UK you can own guns legit, but it's just a bit of paperwork compared to the USA where you can tool up easily.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by WatchRider]

You can't own one here in Australia unless you are a member of a gun club and visit pretty much all the meetings they have.

You can't carry it with you though under ANY circumstances. Unless you are on private property.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I'd rather have a cane than a knife in a knife fight. That is assuming of course I have the chance to see the person. Any smart criminal won't show you their knife anyways.

A cane has a much bigger range, and it can push them back and knock them over. Or it can just knock the knife right out of their hand. A knife has none of these things. All you have is slicing and stabbing, and neither of those alter the situation quickly enough to remove the chance of you being stabbed.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Miraj]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
i guess a very good defence against a knife attack would be kote gaeshi

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

All good points, i think it's best to assume someone has a knife if you're being mugged or attacked. A stick is a great weapon against a knife but remember a knife can be faster than a stick. If you swing a stick around without good control then you could easily over balance or over reach and someone who is handy with a knife will stab it straight in you. Remember that a mugger can probably take a smack in the chest with a stick but you won't take a knife to the chest as easily.

Training and experience are essential.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter

No it's not, you try and grab someones arm while they're flailing a knife around, that's a good way to get your fingers chopped off. People will argue over the best way to disarm someone who has a knife but the best ways i've practiced are to allow yourself to be cut in an area that won't bleed to much and using that split second to take advantage of the situation. The outer forearm is a good target to offer.

Of course the best defense is not to get into the situation.

The second best defense is to train cardio and outrun them

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter

Aikido doesn't really teach the best way to defend against something. Most of the attacks are not necessarily a way a real person would attack you. Most knife martial arts are based on grace and style, both of which your criminal attacker will not use.

I wouldn't try actual techniques unless you can perform them without thinking in the slightest..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join