It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic test kits to hit stores amid controversy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Genetic test kits to hit stores amid controversy

articles.chicagotribune.c om

Coming soon to a drugstore near you, alongside the aspirin and greeting cards, will be the promise of answers to some of life's most personal mysteries: Am I at risk for Alzheimer's disease? Or breast cancer? Or obesity?

Starting Friday, Walgreens will begin selling Insight personal genetic testing kits, becoming the first major retail chain in the U.S. to offer home tests that say they assess the risk of developing one of dozens of different health conditions. CVS plans to have it in stores
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
online.wsj.com
latimesblogs.latimes.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The Insight genetic test kit, priced at $20 to $30, comes with a vial and a shipping envelope. Buyers send a sample of their saliva to a Pathway Genomics laboratory and receive their results online. The report costs $79 to $179, depending on the type of test requested.

Theres a sucker born every minute I guess.
I am someone who would love such a technology if it were accurate to find out what I or my future kids might have as medical conditions, also I have an interest in products that are able to describe your ancestry through DNA.

But if the test only looks at genetic markers, and only some of them at that, when most genes that have a link to many common diseases haven't even been found yet then how in the world can this be effective?

There are already many products like this in the market, it seems that the media and FDA are making quite a large deal about this.

Honestly I am so angry at the FDA right now
they said this:

In response to a query from The Washington Post, an FDA official said that the agency planned to investigate the test.

"We think this would be an illegally marketed device if they proceed," said Alberto Gutierrez, director of the FDA's office of in-vitro diagnostics. "They are making medical claims. We don't know whether the test works and whether patients are taking actions that could put them in jeopardy based on the test."

www.washingtonpost.com...

Where the hell were they when they pushed that hardly tested swine-flu vaccine?

Man I hate the FDA!!!!!

articles.chicagotribune.c om

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

But if the test only looks at genetic markers, and only some of them at that, when most genes that have a link to many common diseases haven't even been found yet then how in the world can this be effective?

There are already many products like this in the market, it seems that the media and FDA are making quite a large deal about this.

Honestly I am so angry at the FDA right now

Man I hate the FDA!!!!!

To answer your question, genetic markers are simple segments of DNA that contain the on/off switch of certain genetic disorders. When your cheek cells go into the lab they put them on a petri dish, get them to divide, cut one open, extract chromisome(two spools of genetic material) What chromisome they take is dependent on what disease they are looking for.

The lab techs run the chromisome through a process that unwinds it, then uses a machine that reads DNA and decodes a segment that contains the on/off signature for said genetic disease, reporting the results to the customer.

The problem with this is not that it is evil in and of itself, its that your insurance company wants you to do this. If it can be proven that you are likely to develop certain costly diseases, insurances companies would drop you like a hot potato, as they won't make money with you as a client.

This is very bad news for the suckers that choose to buy this service, however the same service done through a doctor allows you to have doctor-patient confidentiality and insurance companies cannot see the results of your tests. Or, if you are lucky like me, you get a friend working at a genetics lab as an intern to run some tests and tell me that I have a severe chance of developing colon cancer later in life.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

The problem with this is not that it is evil in and of itself, its that your insurance company wants you to do this. If it can be proven that you are likely to develop certain costly diseases, insurances companies would drop you like a hot potato, as they won't make money with you as a client.

I think the paragraph above is the most important thing said hear. I hope everyone will take note of it.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

What you say is true, the insurance companies would love nothing better than to find out if a person is predisposed to getting cancer, etc.

But how would the insurance companies have access to your results if you used the store bought tests ?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

What you say is true, the insurance companies would love nothing better than to find out if a person is predisposed to getting cancer, etc.

But how would the insurance companies have access to your results if you used the store bought tests ?

Easiest question ever, they own the company or are otherwise paying the company to give them your info. There is no confidentiality agreement if you get the work done through a store bought kit.

We have seen much sleezier behaviour in the past from these companies, this is on par for the course.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I've never used a store bought test kit where you send the sample back to be tested, so I have no idea if there is a confidentiality agreement.

However if I ever decide to use one in the future I will check for a confidentiality agreement and if they don't have one I guess I won't be using the kit.

Thanks for the heads up

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It would have to be walgreens wouldn't it.../sigh. I guess this is another thing I'll have to learn about when I go into work...

In a way I'm slightly surprised and at the same time I'm not. I mean we [walgreens] already have the drug tests there (locked of course) Marijuana and every other substance testing so I guess I should be surprised by something like this. I just don't know about these at home stuff, I personally don't trust them.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the post!
I just read this and came onto ATS to see if the issue has been brought up yet.

Genetic Test Kit Available At Retail Stores
www.chicagotribune.com...

It looks like there was another thread on this, but to my surprise, it did not get anywhere.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I am trying to decide whether or not I want to know my results. Right now I am leaning towards yes with the "just in case" attitude. (After seeing XXXN30's vid, maybe not)
The implications for all is something to ponder. It is another revolutionary procedure in the evolution of things. I guess like other powerful transformative advances, there will be both good and bad and we can just hope there will be more good.
I am curious how this will play out within the insurance industry. Seems like a big can of worms to handle.
Peace

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
In an update it seems Walgreen will hold off on making these kits available...

"The chain's reversal comes after the FDA says it has no record of authorizing the product, which the maker says can be used to detect risks of getting such conditions as Alzheimer's or heart disease." LA Times

www.latimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join