It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser Beams Penetrating Thick Canopy Detect Thousands of New Structures

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

You are right... it does seem like the same images of Mars landscape! I thought this earlier but didnt say anything...

And although i have stated that cutting down the rainforests wouldnt be a great thing... i do wonder what else is out there...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The best thing they could find wouldn't be more crystal skulls, it would be mayan writtings. 99.9% were removed from existance by the spanish. (conspiricy theory here as to what was in them so damning?)

If they don't find writtings, most likely all they will find is a bunch of rocks obviously carved and stacked by people. Then from this they will make a fairy tale about how they lived, what they ate, blah blah blah, put it in books like it's known fact, and we gain nothing.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Okay...call me suspicious, but not only are they using NASA technology here (LiDAR), but the article states that the entire project was funded by NASA. At this particular time, with their own funding being reduced as it has of late, I wonder why they (NASA) would focus on the Mayan civilization. It seems to me that they are looking for something in particular...perhaps to hide more evidence of ancient astronauts before we get to see it? Someone asked , in an earlier post, if this has anything to do with the digging going on at the Sphinx; I saw no evidence of that, but wouldn't rule it out; is the timing of the two coincidental? Was LiDAR used to locate whatever they're digging for at the Sphinx? Since we are just now hearing of this expedition, I'm almost sure that they have already dropped archaeologists in there by helicopter. Why haven't we seen any photos of the area or relics? Apparently this project leaves me with more questions than answers for now. By the way OP, thank you for bringing this to ATS. I enjoy these archaeological type posts...they really pique my curiosity; not that you could tell, of course.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

you get a star just for that avatar pic

i'm a curious soul too though

ps: if the scale is right, i think they'd only have to whack down about 1600m2 of forest to expose that entire site, which is not much really considering what they could find

[edit on 12-5-2010 by SecretGoldfish]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

as LiDAR used to locate whatever they're digging for at the Sphinx

That is unlikely. Lidar cannot penetrate the ground, in fact is cannot really penetrate anything. Archeological based Lidar rely's heavily on computer mapping, it a very common technique in field work that gets better as the computing power AND software evolve, as in this case. It is used not just by NASA but many industry's to map specific areas ( forestry, highway, etc).

Lidar is an optical radar, it uses scattering light and a computer algorithm to micro-map topography.

The lasers are relatively small and cost effective compared to the larger powered lidar they use to explore outer space.

I believe RadioHead "house of cards" music video from a few years ago was done with lidar.
www.youtube.com...

The military application of lidar is actually call ladar.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by wtfhuh]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
All conspiracies aside, wouldn't you all just love to be the first ones there to see what's been hidden all this time? I know I would!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by nobody you know]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nobody you know

My thoughts exactly. It truly would be so cool to be one of the first people to see it before science and governments muck it up.

With today's technologies there is no excuse for there not being a complete video record available to everyone on new archeological discoveries (before they touch anything). Instead we get random images of pottery, statues, and drawings and usually in a designed setting.

The setting of any item has a story behind it, how can you read the story if you erase the pages while browsing ahead?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Great find! I wish they could find some of the lost writings of the ancients. I am sure a lot of their knowledge would of great benefit to us.

Well, their ancient wisdom didnt keep their society from collapsing and dying off. The biggest thing we can learn from them is where they went wrong, but it will only help us if we are wise enough to learn from it, and we arent.

Sorry, I know you meant in the astrological sense or something along those lines, but we need to quit pretending our ancestors were things that they werent.

These peoples werent living in wise and loving harmony with the land as some might think,

www.sciencedaily.com...

"The ancient Maya designed and maintained sustainable cities long before 'building green' became a modern term," said Diane Chase, who has worked as co-director of the Caracol Archaeological Project beside her husband for the past 25 years. Her conclusion is based on the extensive agricultural terracing LiDAR revealed."

They were just human, like us, and unfortunately, we are making the same mistakes they did.

www.sciencedaily.com...

“The data suggests the game decline was caused primarily by hunting pressure since the reduction in numbers was recorded for large vertebrates as opposed to just animals sensitive to the disappearance of forest cover or those sensitive to climate changes,” Emery said. “But the effects of hunting pressure were undoubtedly exacerbated by deforestation and climate change since there is also documented evidence for these changes at the same time.”

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
A lot of other countries including brazil have to jump on board and get this technology too.I beleive technology like this could find lost cities lost within thick jungless ,desert , mountaians, and forests.Brazil in paticular may use this technology on areas that have not been exsplored before or where access is very limited.They could find a whole new lost city somewhere in the remote brazilian jungle.If they are lucky they may even discoved a hidden alien base as well.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
any chance we can get these images and mars images side by side ?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

The writings of the Maya weren't "lost".

They were burned by the Conquistadors and missionaries in a misguided belief they were thew writings of the devil and the natives were in great danger of hellfire.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cheers,
Pablo

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Onasty

I'm right with you there... I'd be interested to know whether any of the orbiters (especially Clementine) had any laser equipment listed in the directory/inventory of components, regardless of what the stated usage was listed as...!

The prevalent thought across several threads after the same sort of vein (including the excavations under the sphinx) seems to be that no matter what is actually going on / what is being discovered, we the people will be the last to know.

I'm cautiously giving a thumbs up
to Late Sleeper too, as he seems to be suggesting setting up a very real 'resistance movement' (just like the band Muse have been suggesting for some time). I'm not saying I'd join it just yet, just that in the long run I believe the signs of the times are pointing to an eventual need for such an alliance of 'awake/aware' individuals.

What's the bet that I justgot added to a list for 'extermination' once the
NWO takes over...?!?!?! Let them try.

NB - If the dark overlords of the proposed NWO are reading this, I think you're all a bunch of tools.

PS - edits to fix smiley errors..!

[edit on 13-5-2010 by NoahTheSumerian]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Suuuuure, like the Mayans really built that.

Ever heard of aliens?! They were all over South America in prehistoric times, building things and enslaving the natives.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I remember reading in the popul vuh that a few mayan priests hid some texts in certain caves which were supposedly sacred. So maybe not all mayan texts are lost either !

If they dig this site who knows what stories they will find carved on the walls !

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
damn.

that is pretty radical!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Crikey a blast from the past! I spent 3 months in Belize years ago doing voluntary work, conservation etc. we had a day trip to Caracol and met Dr. Chase and his students who were at that time excavating a grave containing a few Mayan bodies/skeletal remains, they were particularly interested in one female because she was wearing Jade jewellery and he said it was very unusual as only the men and Royalty wore Jade.

There is loads still to find, I can vouch for that, a few of us went caving and found ancient pots and plates, some glazed - we left them where we found them. I even found what I believe to be 2 Mayan beads whilst washing in a river along with bits of broken pottery.

because I saw a lot of ruins (unfortunately most look like rubble under vines) you get used to seeing where they built these temples etc and I noticed it was usually on a high point/hill or on an incline, you would always find pieces of pottery or rubble at the top or near the top.

A place (dead end road) called Las Cuevas 2 hours drive from San Ignacio is a scientific research station, I believe it is owned by The Natural History Museum, we helped build the ornithologists a tower so that they could study the flightpaths of birds and see what effect deforestation had on them. I spent 3 weeks up and down that 30ft tower, I used to stand at the top looking into the distance over the jungle, I noticed that at roughly 11 - 11.30am each day when the sun shone, a clear line could be seen through the jungle leading straight up the middle of a hill in the distance, I believe the area I was looking at to be virgin forest, Its a shame I never got the chance to investigate

If anyone here gets the chance to go there, make sure you check the hills, check caves too and near rivers, there is always something to find!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Great find! I wish they could find some of the lost writings of the ancients. I am sure a lot of their knowledge would of great benefit to us.

I wish they would to, the religious zealots from spain destroyed much if not all their writings and such. It would be great if they are able to find a repository of their writings that was hidden by the jungle.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm ready to go to Belize....who is interested?

Let's go poking around!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
Okay...call me suspicious, but not only are they using NASA technology here (LiDAR), but the article states that the entire project was funded by NASA. At this particular time, with their own funding being reduced as it has of late, I wonder why they (NASA) would focus on the Mayan civilization. It seems to me that they are looking for something in particular...perhaps to hide more evidence of ancient astronauts before we get to see it? Someone asked , in an earlier post, if this has anything to do with the digging going on at the Sphinx; I saw no evidence of that, but wouldn't rule it out; is the timing of the two coincidental? Was LiDAR used to locate whatever they're digging for at the Sphinx? Since we are just now hearing of this expedition, I'm almost sure that they have already dropped archaeologists in there by helicopter. Why haven't we seen any photos of the area or relics? Apparently this project leaves me with more questions than answers for now. By the way OP, thank you for bringing this to ATS. I enjoy these archaeological type posts...they really pique my curiosity; not that you could tell, of course.

It wouldn't surprise me if they would destroy more evidence of the Anunnaki. It would prove some people right and they would be as usual not right. I despise NASA.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Last year i found a lot intreasting images on google earth within the unexplored brazillian forest area called the northern masso grosso area.I sent some of thoses photos i had copied from google earth to nasa.I never got a reply from nasa about the images but on going back to thoses locations this year in google earth have discovered thoses areas have been nowbeen dilibertly blocked off from anyone else from looking at theses areas in close up.I beleive after my report to nasa they went and blocked the whole area off.So what is nasa afraid of then.They must have studyied the images and found something in the images that needed to be hidden.They may have gone even further and sent teams into these areas to check out exsactly what was there.I have a feeling they must have found something in that vast area.I have a full set of pictures on disc of thoses strange areas in close up to study at a later stage.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join