Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

More American Teens Planning on Getting Prenant......as Teens

page: 1

join

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
RT Article

For the first time in more than a decade the teen pregnancy rate in the US has risen. Many American teens planned to get pregnant and don't regret their decisions.

Three in 10 American girls get pregnant by the age of 20, and experts say about 20 per cent of those pregnancies are planned.

After three months of dating, 19-year-old Nadia Calix and her boyfriend Jose Andrade decided it was time to have a baby.

17-year-old Aminta Fuentes also planned to get pregnant. She now juggles completing high school and raising her one-year-old daughter Vanessa. The pair just moved into a one bedroom apartment with Fuentes' boyfriend, who works at a local electronics store.

"In the United States we clearly do not have a social norm that teen pregnancy is not OK. I think by comparison, countries in Western Europe, Asian countries and elsewhere have a very clear social norm that teen pregnancy and starting a family at a young age is not in the best interest of the teenagers, nor of society, nor for the children," said Bill Albert from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

This article is a few days old, but I still think it is pretty big news. I know RT isnt the best of sources, but it's still worth the read.

3 out of 10 teen girls is a pretty big number in my opinion. From what Ive personally seen, alot of people I know are getting pregnant all the time now, and all were in their teens. (Im still kind of young), and Im from a typical suburban area with decent education, atleast thats my opinion. None of my friends planned getting pregnant tho.

Why would someone plan to have a baby with someone they've only DATED for 3 months??? Id have to say thats terrible decision making, extremely.

And the 17 year old who planned to have a baby, juggle completing highschool, and move into a one bedroom apartment? Why??? Why not wait until after highschool???

As for the "blaming US culture", I pretty much believe that in a way. I know in Highschool we were taught to wear a condom and dont have babies until later in life, but then again, I totally believe more than half of US teens are stubbord/ignorant/ just dont give a * about anything/ everything that falls into that area.

"In the United States we clearly do not have a social norm that teen pregnancy is not OK. I think by comparison, countries in Western Europe, Asian countries and elsewhere have a very clear social norm that teen pregnancy and starting a family at a young age is not in the best interest of the teenagers, nor of society, nor for the children,"
- I cannot agree more with that statement. Although I dont know much about other countrie's teen pregnancy issues, I still believe alot of American Teens are living in a fantasy world in their minds.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I think RT has been the most provocative, hard-working media outlet for the last year+ so no shame in linking them.

I see young inner-city women with babies like they're a ticket for more welfare. I'm pretty confident some people have kids for this reason and it blows my mind.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Personally, I like RT with how they will report on pretty much anything, and usually being on middle-ground on the issue, not trying to spin an agenda. Then again sometimes they may not of done their research all that well, but still, RT is one of my top news resources.

I agree with the welfare part to. Im sure a good amount of inner-city teens were thinking "hey, how about I just pop out of bunch of kids and get free checks?" They use the system for their self, NOT for the future of their children, atleast alot of them seem that way. Then people wonder why a young woman is living in the projects filled with crime, and have 5-10 children in a 1 bedroom apartment. She gets basically everything for free.

What are those children going to grow up and be like? How can one mom, sometimes not even a dad, support a child when they're not even thru highschool sometimes????

I know some moms had the childs best intrest in mind, but not all of them do.

Is there anything anyone can think of that will stop teenage-pregnancies, or atleast stop the people that have kids just so they get free money?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Is there anything anyone can think of that will stop teenage-pregnancies, or atleast stop the people that have kids just so they get free money?

"In the United States we clearly do not have a social norm that teen pregnancy is not OK. I think by comparison, countries in Western Europe, Asian countries and elsewhere have a very clear social norm that teen pregnancy and starting a family at a young age is not in the best interest of the teenagers, nor of society, nor for the children,"

I thought this was pretty succinct.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

These kids are f*ing retarded! Look i'm a teen, and I have absolutely no desire to have kids, not now and not ever. I would volunteer to get one of them clip things that stop men from having kids.

I don't get it, why do they want to have kids? They can't take care of them and once they have them and realize what kind of hell it is they won't want them anymore. They will want their parents to take care of it so they can go party. They should have been raised in my house where my mom simply told us that if we 'knock' anyone up or in my sisters case get 'knocked up', then we have to get out, end of story.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Im not really sure how we would go about making it a social norm to not desire to have kids as a teen here in the US. We already tell our teens in schools that it's not the brightest thing to do, and atleast from personal experience, most parents tell their kids to not get pregnant at such an early age. Same goes with drug use and look how effective that has been here in the US. Some teens just dont seems to listen to anyone these days. Heck, when I was 13-16 I had that rebel attitude and figured out the hard way that I dont know everything about everything.

Dont get me wrong, there's still plenty of teens that are responsible out there, it's just that more and more are becoming irresponsible it seems.

A theory I heard from one of my teachers about why the US has a higher alcoholism rate than most European countries is because alot of Americans (School/Goverment/Parents) teach kids that alcohol is bad, which then leads to the "rebel against authority" attitude, and then the kids/teens begin experimenting. While in some European countries, the kids are introduced to alcohol at an early age, but not told its bad and blasted for it like here in the US. Then that leads the European kids to understand alcohol easier which leads them to not become alcoholics. My teacher said it so much better, but thats the basics of what he said.

Im wondering if the above can relate to the pregnancy subject in a way. It makes sense kind of, atleast to me.

Maybe the way some people are talking to our kids/teens, isnt really the right way to talk to them?

Maybe this is just something we need to let run its course until the teen parents realize they did something they really shouldnt have?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by buni11687]

[edit on 12-5-2010 by buni11687]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Actually, youth crime is much, much higher in Europe than in the US. Why? Because of the legal availability of alcohol at a younger age. When minors drink in the US they drink in some basement or far off in the woods and they don't bother anyone.

That being said, being pregnant at 20 is nothing compared to the British girl that was smoking by 9, drinking by 10, and pregnant by 11. Chalk up one more for the supposedly morally superior Europeans.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I"m just wondering here....
how many of you teens and early twenties out there actually think you have a good chance at a decent life in the future...
I have three boys, and even at age 5 or 7, they had girls claiming to be their girlfriends, chasing them down and forcing kisses on them, and well, fighting with each other over them....
they were raised in the poorer section of town and most of these girls were from single parent households...
when I wanted to go to college and asked my mom for the money so I could take the college entrance exams, she came back with this nice little quip about how I didn't need college, I would marry someone rich who would take care of me...and her!!
after watching these girls chase down my boys, I wonder if the moms have decided to just leave out the rich man bit and well....are telling them.. na, you don't need college, just go find yourself a man, and man, get knocked up, have a baby, ditch the man, and the gov't will take care of you or something....
I would really like to know....
what is going on inside the kid's minds now days???
but, I can't help wonder if it doesn't have something to do with them just feeling they don't have a chance anyways.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Just watch the first 5 minutes of idiocracy.

Oh!... the future, what a wonderful place.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
im sorry ppl been getting pregnant and having kids for millenia. not a big deal. back in the days, they were gettin married at 13. it makes you more of a man/woman if you have kids and know how it is to take care of one. you really cherish life then. maybe im not speaking for everyone but thats how it was for me. i love my son and would never want to go back to not having one. and i was 19, and i have a great life, and i didnt go to college, and i do not get govt. cheese. i own my own business. "f school, im too cool to go back, give me a mic show me where the fing studio at?" haha. and my parents were broke so i had to make it on my own. i think in america, if you have a slightest brain, you can make it. cuz everyone else so retarded they hardly a competition. i ran out a huge store out of my town cuz they couldnt mess with my small overhead prices. big ass building sittin there empty now while im still in business in my lil shack

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

i have a decent life, more decent than most ppl i know. im 24. had a kid since 19. oh im sorry r u talkin to dumbed down americans? haha!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I really hope and pray this is not the case. Having kids will tax them to the max, and they will not be able to have a decent quality of life for themselves. Stay in school, educate yourselves and plan that family with precision when you have the means to do so. These are rough times and having babies certainly adds complexity to your life. Future children need support in many areas and I hope the younger generation has an opportunity to discuss this with their own parents who perhaps can offer the best advise.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mapsurfer_

yea maybe havin kids will get em off they fat asses and get em to actually WORK seeing how they wont do it for themselves. f school. gettin stuck with a big ass debt at the end that you'll be payin all your life, doin something u dont like to do all your life. i been to school and back. graduated from high school w 4.0, went to college, 4.0. quit when i was starting 3rd year cuz we had a baby. made a way better life for myself by starting a business, doing stuff i love to do. if i was to finish college id prob hate my job and my life.

but i guess for each their own.

in the conditions we are in today tho, i know alot of ppl graduatin from university and guess what? no jobs. big debt.. no jobs. what u gon do?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

top topics

join