It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

105 Killed in Plane Crash at Tripoli Airport

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

105 Killed in Plane Crash at Tripoli Airport

www.foxnews.com...

A Libyan plane arriving from South Africa crashed on
Wednesday at Tripoli airport killing all 105 people on board, a
security official told AFP.

Among the dead were 94 passengers and 11 crew members, the
official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

There was no immediate indication of the cause of the crash,
which occurred as the Afriqiyah Airways plane was landing after
a flight from Johannesburg at around 6:00 am (0400 GMT).

[edit on 12-5-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This is a developing story so there may be new details
shortly.

However, there seems to be an great deal of
plane crashes lately.

Your thoughts as to terrorism involved
or deliberate acts or maybe even targeted
for political reasons?

Please discuss

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Its a third world country, I would assume crashes are more frequent. Staff are less professional than what we're use to. Probably got complacent and made a easy, yet lethal mistake.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
From PressTV: PTV

The aircraft belonged to the Tripoli-based Afriqiyah Airways and arrived in from Johannesburg, South Africa.

From www.afriqiyah.aero...

Afriqiyah Airways ,Announce that our flight 8U771 had an accident during landing at Tripoli International airport at 04:00 UTC. (06:00 AM Tripoli time) Today Wednesday 12 May.
At this moment we have no information concerning possible casualties or survivors. Our information is that were 93 passenger and 11 crew aboard. The competent authorities are conducting the search and rescue mission.
Further statements will be announced in due course.

From their reservations: www.afriqiyah.aero...

flight no) 8U 0771 (depart) 21:30:00 / Johannesburg (arrive)06:20:00 / Tripoli 08:50:00

Seems confirmed all aboard dead. RIP.

I've been in their offices here once, in JHB international. I can't seem to find regular JHB / Tripoli flights, so assuming this was a charter?

Company logo:

Just me or is it a wierd logo?

Currently it operates seven services into Europe from its hub in Tripoli (London Gatwick, Geneva, Amsterdam, Rome, Paris (Charles de Gaulle), Brussels and Dussledorf. Particularly useful are the connections over Tripoli domestically to Benghazi and to the West African destinations of Cotonou, Ouagadougou, Douala, Bangui, N’Djamena, Accra, Abidjan, Bamako, Niamey, Kano, Lagos, Khartoum, and Lome.

Airbus fleet, from: www.alternativeairlines.com... receives-first-airbus-a330

The new A330-200, the first of three ordered in 2006, will join Afriqiyah’s existing all Airbus fleet of two A319s and five A320s. This brings the unique benefits of Airbus aircraft commonality to Afriqiyah, who can use the same pool of pilots, cabin crew and maintenance engineers across its entire Airbus fleet. The airline will take delivery of a further 10 A320 family aircraft in the coming years, and has also selected the A350 XWB, with six A350-800s ordered in 2007.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I find it fascinating that a third world neo-dictatorship chooses to release any information about bad stuff happening to them at all.

Perhaps it is an acknowledgement to those in power in othyer nations that not everything is under the control of man.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
A LOT of planes going down. These guys were buying band new Airbus's, somehow maintenance doesn't seem to be as likely as with others, like Zim Airlines.

Besides, their focus was Europe, whose air standards are very high, especially from any african airlines. It appears that the crash happened on landing, which suggest equipment malfunction?

This is IMHO most unlikely. Maybe .... although i will be watching this story closely.

The last time i dealt with aircrafts to Libya, it was russian military, with no formal passport requirements for the passengers or cargo. That was circa 1996/7. Tre has been close co-operatio between our govts since then.

Weapons and technology would have been exchanged, and information.

$64 question: who was on that fight?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
$64 question: who was on that fight?

that was the whole point I was trying to make.
It may have been targeted for political concerns.
We need a passenger list.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
According to Aussie news one Dutch boy suvived.

Yes a few planes crash landing lately and this one wasn't some old Russian plane.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
www.heraldsun.com.au...

There is one survivor found alive at the scene.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
yea.. can't find a passenger list...yet. but I did find some related info.. check the side column under related stories.. hmmmm

www.ameinfo.com...

well, this is a long shot .. but what about Corp espionage

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

very interesting info u posted
and it would lead us to look a
lil farther toward hostile competition.

www.ameinfo.com...

It seems this jet crash would have been
competing against Emirates Group. Who
had a 240% profit in 2009 during a global
recession. How is that possible without
eliminating competition ????

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
More from www.timeslive.co.za... errorism

He said that while the nationalities of the victims of the flight from South Africa that was reportedly due to fly on for London's Gatwick airport had yet to be assessed, "I can say that there are Libyans, Africans and Europeans."

Also confirmed Airbus 330.

[img]http://www.timeslive.co.za/multimedia/dynamic/00635/LibyaCrash_635857b.jpg[/imgwww.timeslive.co.za... 857b.jpg]

And as with several other "dubious" crashes, terrorism is emphatically denied from stage 1. This time again without any other plausible scenario.

New plane, with maintenance contracts etc.

These Airbusses are really dropping out the sky at a rate!!!!! Air France with an Airbus too (?) Another event is scratching the back of my mind recently.

Crash scene pics here

According to initial reports, the plane crashed as it neared the threshold of Tripoli International’s main east-west runway, while preparing to touch down from the east. Weather conditions over Tripoli’s international airport were good on Wednesday, with three-mile (4.8-kilometer) visibility, scattered clouds at 10,000 feet and winds of only three miles per hour.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Apparently a child has been found alive they have taken him to hospital.

Does anyone remember that lone french girl who survived the french flight A447 that crashed on route from rio to paris, what happened to her I wonder?

On a side note I want to go on record and say that I believe there will be more and more plane crashes over the next 24 months, reason being we are entering a new era and our planet is becoming susceptable to all sorts of electromagnetic interference.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Jetphotos has a photo of the plane with one winglet missing, taken on April 10.

There are also reports of a A-330 belonging to Afriqiyah, flying with a missing winglet on May 4!

Am looking out of my window and unless my eyes are getting really bad I am looking at an A-330 belonging to Afriqiyah with a winglet on the RH wing but not the LH.

If this is truh, and the same plane, the plane might have been flying with just one wing tip for over a month. Thought the pilots at the forum say an Airbus is save to fly with a missing winglet.

About who was on board. A lot of Dutch passengers. Latest official report says 61 Dutch citizens died, one 10 year old Dutch kid being the only survivor.

Edited because the photo and report of the missing winglet are of a different plane!

[edit on 12/5/2010 by FreezeM]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Personally I think more planes are coming down because airlines are saving on maintenance. But if there is a conspiricy it is probably to promote the use of trains

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Dutch media is now reporting an explosion took place, just before landing. This would point to some kind of attack, and not the missing wing tip, being the cause of the crash.

Source (in Dutch)

Er zijn berichten dat er voor de landing van de Libische Airbus een explosie aan boord van het toestel was.

My translation:
There are reports that before the Libyan Airbus landed there was an explosion on board the plane.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think this tread deserves more attention. Not only because more than 100 people died. But also because there are indications that the plane exploded just before landing.

Take a look at the photo: www.spitsnieuws.nl...

On the pictures and video available at this time, no large chunks of the fuselage are visible (one view shows a section of the side of the fuselage with about 10 windows - but nothing else).

There must have been a lot of energy involved in the accident (which is strange during the approach phase of flight), the question is what type of energy? Kenetic or explosive?

Source

Witnesses spoke of the plane inexplicably breaking up as it came down to land in clear weather at around 6:00 am (0400 GMT).

"It exploded on landing and totally disintegrated," one security official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity. Another official said the plane had burst into flames just before landing.

Source (AFP)

[edit on 12/5/2010 by FreezeM]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Video of the girl (or boy) that survived the plane crash:

And another video of the crash site:

It clearly shows that debris is all over the place. Either the plane was going way to fast or exploded in the air.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
That plane couldn't have been going THAT fast, there is wreckage everywhere and even a tail section. Have we not learned that when a plane crashes at a high rate of speed, the laws of physics are broken

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
See and this is why I don't like flying. All it takes is seeing one story like this and I freak out. I have to fly in November and I am terrified and this just makes me panic. I have no idea how to deal with this fear other than to just fly. If I want to do the things in my life I have set up for myself I have to fly otherwise nothing will get accomplished.

This is sad but a miracle that someone has survived. I am sure though it will be very hard for him to deal with later on. I couldn't imagine being the only survivor and knowing that the rest my life and not knowing why. I hope this boy comes out ok.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join