It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe tells Britain not to ask for help in a crisis

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It's never too difficult to tell the difference between a Briton and a ray of sunshine

*sigh*

Popular sentiment is that Sterling is going to depreciate, perhaps with another "Black Wednesday" type event. I say let it. Let the pound find its own value, let it devalue against the Euro ... for then British exports will become immeasurably more competitive, imports will become more expensive (a good thing, when it's German/French cars & assorted Chinese crap, not quite so good when it's foodstuffs), unemployment will slowly drop as manufacturing perks up ... it's all good stuff in my book.

Of course, that's not what the Eurozone wants. They don't want a successful UK which profits at their expense.

The daft thing, when faced with such a currency crisis in todays times, would be to raise interest rates or borrow even more to buy up your own currency. The Treasury should let the pound tank if they want UK plc to recover.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
reply to post by Dermo

Dude, don't even start with me. If he's French I'm a freakin' Gray from Alpha Centauri - sippin' on gin and juice? Y'all? Please...

And your grammar and sentence structure were just fine... they were "off the hook" as the French often say...

Lol.. I feel your pain.. I really do.. The whole highly strung bigoted thing is getting a bit too much to bare here..

And I have actually heard a French dude say "Off the Hook".. It was quite humorous actually.. It was more like "Ouf je Hock".. T'was a good effort overall though..

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
It's never too difficult to tell the difference between a Briton and a ray of sunshine

*sigh*

Popular sentiment is that Sterling is going to depreciate, perhaps with another "Black Wednesday" type event. I say let it. Let the pound find its own value, let it devalue against the Euro ... for then British exports will become immeasurably more competitive, imports will become more expensive (a good thing, when it's German/French cars & assorted Chinese crap, not quite so good when it's foodstuffs), unemployment will slowly drop as manufacturing perks up ... it's all good stuff in my book.

Of course, that's not what the Eurozone wants. They don't want a successful UK which profits at their expense.

The daft thing, when faced with such a currency crisis in todays times, would be to raise interest rates or borrow even more to buy up your own currency. The Treasury should let the pound tank if they want UK plc to recover.

Totally agree mate. I work in manufacturing and the deline in Sterling has been the best thing to happen to us in a decade. From textiles to sweet manufacturers, everybody is feeling the benefit of the decline in the pound.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Money is one big huge mental illness. Which is more important ? Respect for the Human Rights ? Or the profitability of the banks ? I know where I stand. I stand in support of the Human Rights. It is therefore of no importance to me if the banks go down into oblivion. We need to start thinking more intelligently. Money is one big mental dellusion. As far as I know all things belong to God. Therefore what you are thinking to be your private property is actually not your property at all. Private property is a mental dellusion. Rich people only get to be rich because they are murders and thieves. In defence of their estate they murder and thieve as is the "Way of Man". That is a fact of history. It is the same today as it ever was then. Returning to the "Way of Heaven" requires that men relinquish their claims to ownership. Obviously as you can see I am a Kommunist but more than that I am a Feminist Kommunist as is the "Way of Heaven".

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

*sigh*

That's the economic theory that usually brings a country out of recession, but....

What manufacturing?

Our economy has been turned into a service economy, all of our manufacturing was shipped out to cheap labour countries to feed the greed of shareholders, so there is no manufacturing base to spring into action.

I think the EuroBureaucrats are showing themselves for the serving pontificating a*holes they really are - they're happy to take £43 Million PER DAY off us, but what, you want some back - forget it!

Anyway, on a side issue has anyone else had this problem when they're on ATS & suddenly one of those damned annoying fake "You've got a virus" warning pages that you can't get rid of pops up?

Looks like an ad is being allowed to run that takes over your browser - get it sorted ATS, it's ruining the site!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Technically speaking, it's damn near impossible for Britain to be in Greece's position ... Britain is like the US .. they can monetize debt, they are in control of their own monetary policy .. countries like Greece cannot monetize debt, once they are out of Euro's ... that's it .. they have to beg others for assistance. This is what happens when you give your entire economic control over to a few international politicians/bankers in a far away city.

Idiots.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

I want to join your Komune, Sounds like heaven to me.

It actually makes me sick all this nationalist bickering, when the ones we shoulkd ALL be against is the greedy bankers and speculators who live their lives threatening Nations and their ability to exist. what type of fricking world is this

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hang on, I've just been reading about the possibility that Germany and possibly France too may pull out/drop the Euro (this Friday) and revert to their old currencies, simultaneously voiding any existing agreements about Eurozone insurance/bailout/commitments - i.e. effectively hitting the reset button (good luck Greece and everyone else left in the Euro at that point - presumably there'll be some kind of domino effect of exits?).

So actually they'd effectively be JOINING the UK's position which this article so noisily criticises.

Could this story be some kind of deflection PR to keep the media off the scent of the Euro dumping at the end of the week?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

meanwhile, in the real world woody

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I would love to hear of a workable solution to no money! Love cannot feed the world, drive innovation or even make the laptop I am busily tying on! Even Communism needs money.

If you want to live in a world with no money then I suggest you move to any one of these countries who - being terribly poor - can show you what happens whn there is no means to excahnge goods and services (i.e. money)... Ethiopia, the Central African Republic, Guinea-Bissau, Somalia, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Congo, Niger etc...

Regards

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skeptron
The citizens of the U.K. need not worry. You have backed the U.S.A. through thick and thin; we will help you anyway we can. The IMF needs to realize the United States contribute the most money, and we will use that money to help who we want. To [snip] with the french, and the other countries that try to threaten our greatest ally.

Thank you for this, it's reassuring to know that you feel this way. I hope and suspect most Americans feel this way.

I'm English and I know that most English people certainly feel the same about USA. I can't see anything that would break our brotherly bond with each other.

With Justice and Liberty for all!

Korg.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Did you read the article?It said 'Britain'!So stop moaning ''everyone has it in for England''-Bloody Sasanach!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

I would love to hear of a workable solution to no money! Love cannot feed the world, drive innovation or even make the laptop I am busily tying on! Even Communism needs money.

If you want to live in a world with no money then I suggest you move to any one of these countries who - being terribly poor - can show you what happens whn there is no means to excahnge goods and services (i.e. money)... Ethiopia, the Central African Republic, Guinea-Bissau, Somalia, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Congo, Niger etc...

Regards

Thank you for responding to my comments. The "Way of Heaven" I am talking about is nowhere to be found in this world. It is an utopian vision which is not of this world. A dream. A fantasy. We only enter into it by reincarnation. We cannot build it by our own effort. Only by the Power of Almighty God can we enter into it. It can never be a reality in this world of men. Those "poor countries" that you mention, need our assistance in helping them to enjoy the fruits of the scientific revolution. In terms of the natural abundance, those "poor countries" you mention, are actually rich. It all depends how we measure prosperity. Money is not everything, nor indeed anything at all. You say that "love cannot feed the world", however so long as I continue loving my pet pussy cat he continues to recieve his dinners. We need to remember that we are indeed our brothers keeper. Making reference there to the story of Cain murdering Abel to be found in The Book of Genesis of the Old Testament of the Bible.

[edit on 12/5/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by woodwardjnr

meanwhile, in the real world woody

Oi it's late.... let me dream my dreams

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

All I can say to this is LOL

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Agreed, many countries have sold their soul to the devil. I would say several other European countries would be a bit nervous right now.

g

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
All I can say is that the British people have been through far worse with no help... All national emergencies do is gel the people and British resolve kicks in.. We are at our very best when we are under the cosh, and maybe that is one good thing that will come out of this... That people will see how truly Great Britain is and we can get some pride back in this country....

Watching the news a few weeks ago I watched an British Asian man who was stuck abroad because of the volcanic ash cloud... He said that the Brits there were sharing stuff with each other, keeping their spirits up, and he said and I quote "It makes me proud to be British"....... That really touched me... When TSHTF us Brits kick ass... Together...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I've only read a couple of pages in this thread, but after doing this, I do feel the need to post my own reply.

I've read several people talking about "the French" and "the British" and how there's apparently a "they - us" situation forming ... I hope everyone does realize that for instance that French politician speaks just for his own. His opinion is not the opinion of the French people he's supposed to represent.

In fact, we don't know what the people of the countries of Europe really think about this bail-out. This was all decided by politicians and bankers, not by the people they are supposed to represents. I sure as hell didn't get a vote in this!

I truly believe that the vast majority of the people of any country of Europe (and the world for that matter) want nothing but the best for everyone. And not because out of some misplaced gratitude for liberating Europe in both World Wars (as mentioned in one of the earlier posts), but because we are all just human beings with stuff being decided above all of our heads and I care about my fellow man, regardless of nationality. If the UK should ever find itself in a dire position I would expect nothing less than that at least the same effort is being done to help the British as has been done for Greece and Europe. But for the PEOPLE, not to keep some banks afloat or some governments in power. I want the common, honest men and women down the street to be helped.

But hey, time to stop daydreaming right? The common man is always going to get screwed in the end. That's the way it's been and that's the way it's going to be. I just naively hope nobody mistakingly confuses the messages and actions of individuals (politicians, bankers, etc) with the opinion and feelings of the people of entire nations and regions.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Extra input: www.guardian.co.uk...

There is a unstable relationship between the UK and Germany. The fact that germany had such a big role in the plans for a security packed did not make it easier.

In the article above you get a picture of what the next goverment will do in the case of the Eurozone.

This information is very essential and wiki or whatever on every agency that is described. EU seems to evolve, which has been predicted

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Looks like that Churchill "special relationship" the U.K. enjoys with the U.S. may not be dying after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join