It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe tells Britain not to ask for help in a crisis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Sarkozy has promised the French no austerity measures and Merkel is struggling to deal with # storm over the current bail out.

So even if Britain did hand over £50bn and then got in trouble, what have either France or Germany got left to help Britain that does not compromise their situation further? and in all honesty would they compromise those positions for Britain?

I highly doubt they would be able to help Britain.. Their comments should read, that if Britain did get into trouble don't come to us because we are broke.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

So in the end how does this affect you? I'm just curious whats your angle on this situation? Why do you care? Are you not more worried about Defending Iran?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hahaha, this has been going on since medievel times.
The Brits and the Frogs HATE each other and never miss an opportunity to have a go.
It is as simple as that.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Quite... But they take shots at the "English" as it diverts attention away from them. That way, if it goes well (their austerity or bailiout programmes) it is their doing and the Uk didn't help, or if it goes Pete Tong then they can blame the UK for that too...

Either way, the Euro's win again with a good bit of "English" bashing..

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Hahaha, this has been going on since medievel times. The Brits and the Frogs HATE each other and never miss an opportunity to have a go. It is as simple as that.

You're nearly correct. The EU was established because of power imbalances like Germany causing major military and political disruptions. The EU constitution attempted to bring all of Europe's common interests together into a union that could counter other major powers such as the US, Russia, etc.

That failed. So an economic unity became the main thrust, but now that is also failing.

In the end we have an EU composed of countries all with borders, cultures and languages and fierce nationalism in spite of its EU.

It appears that Europe will remain a union of very independent nationalistic countries with their own economic, defense and personal interests at heart.

Cet la vie...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Quite... But they take shots at the "English" as it diverts attention away from them. That way, if it goes well (their austerity or bailiout programmes) it is their doing and the Uk didn't help, or if it goes Pete Tong then they can blame the UK for that too...

Either way, the Euro's win again with a good bit of "English" bashing..

I do get rather ~ over the English bashing at times... but as you say, it is finger pointing..

You have to wonder how Sarkozy is going to maintain his "no austerity measures" promise.. Personally it has me scratching my head on how he'll manage that if Germany has already had to reverse promised tax cuts.

We certainly live in interesting times.. and are almost at the point of one bailout to many for most people...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Hey, I know what you guys are feeling, and it isn`t good. Our wonderful wonderful wonderful Fed. wants to print up a trillion dollars to (can we all say...BAILOUT?), whats the word.......oh yea, help the poor poor EU. To me, it`s just another trillion dollar debt the Fed wants to put on our shoulders if it never gets paid back by the EU.

Wasn`t the boys Britain and the U.S. lost in WW2 enough for them, now they want cash?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...

It is an open question whether Europe's leaders will embrace what will be a revolution, or will they fudge the challenge and keep dipping into this well of money? On Monday, the President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, said leaders had to show courage. Europeans would have to work harder and for longer. It is a message that politicians have so far shied away from.

Peter Morici, a professor at the University of Maryland, almost immediately fired a warning shot. "By establishing a 750bn euro-fund," he said, "Germany and other strong European states are chasing a dream - a single Euro currency and broader European unity - that may have no place in reality."

Certainly the flaws that brought Europe to this point have not been addressed. They have monetary union without fiscal union. Already there are EU Commissioners calling for fiscal powers to be pooled. President Van Rompuy said: "We can't have a monetary union at the end without some form of economic and political union, and that is our big task for the coming weeks and the coming months."

what....a.....surprise....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Looking at history, the English should have let Germany and Russia bleed each other to death 1942-1945, at least Britain would have only been bankrupted once in the 19th century, instead of twice, now the nameless sons of nameless fathers want to bankrupt the UK for a third time? two generations of UK blood spilt not enough either? Thank god a man in the UK government grew backbone before leaving office, just wish I new him personnely.
I am going to really stock up on food and seeds

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Errr Exactly why should we help the Euro??

If those foolish countries didn't see the danger signs of signing up to a single currency in a zone with multiple cultures and languages then it's their fault.

The UK has to deal with her own financial problems, why should we help with others??

Charity starts at home!

Bloody Buffoon French!!

Korg.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
quote from original article

"Officials from both euro and non-euro countries said Britain should not ask for help if it runs into trouble ...."

Perhaps we should have said that in 1914 and 1939! France wouldn't be the country it is today if British Men (initially..... then foreign nations also!) hadn't fought and laid down their lives for Europe! We can see through history that most European countries were crushed by the Nazi's, Europe has a lot to thank the UK and the US for, but they seem to have conveniently forgotten this. We need to pull out of the EU and kick all illegals and unwanted's out of this country, saving millions of POUNDS! Then we can take care of GREAT BRITAIN and close our borders and stick our 2 fingers up to the EU!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt
quote from original article

"We need to pull out of the EU and kick all illegals and unwanted's out of this country, saving millions of POUNDS! Then we can take care of GREAT BRITAIN and close our borders and stick our 2 fingers up to the EU!

Hear Hear!!

Korg

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It's kinda funny how you guys talk about your neighboring countries like that.
It kinda sounds like how we talk about people from other states.

So Great Britian is like Texas? We all know how Texas doesn't like to go with the Union.

Europe, the whole continent, is going down the drain as we speak and America's next. I say we all jump ship, we can divide up the people. .25% go to Canada, .25% go to Brazil, .25% go to Australia and .25% go to New Zealand.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
We paid so much to try help Greece, just not as much as The French would like us to.

Why should we pay more?

We are not in the Euro.

Other than a moral obligation to try and help a friendly country we have no other duty.

As for The French.
Why is anyone suprised at the way they react to 'The English'?

A quick look at our history shows that we have been at odds with each other for over a thousand years.
And they hate us so much for saving them in the last two world wars.
And look how De Gaulle despised us so much after WWII becasue we sheltered him and the few French that had the balls to fight when the majority of the French nation's arse fell out and rolled over to Hitler without the slightest bit of resistance.
Typical Gallic arrogance!

Don't know who said it previously, but yeah, about time we reclaimed our lost French lands and really stuck it up the Frogs.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
im buying as much food as i can

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Myrddin Wyllt

Well said. It's quite funny how these things can be quickly forgotten when it comes to $$$....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The Eurozzone was never gonna work out for the UK. Countries in Europe are just too different.
Whereas in the UK we are a stickler for rules and generally a hard working nation.

Countries like Spain Greece and Italy have a totally different approach to life. They ignore their smoking bans, ignore traffic signals and tend to take a more relaxed attitude to work. especially in the summer months.

In the UK people cram onto hot packed tubes in the summer, rushing to their rat race jobs, where as in Spain, they take it easy maybe have an hours kip during the day.

I'm not taking a pop at how our European brothers live, infact they probably have a much better work/life balance. Just pointing out how the Eurozone was destined to fail.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

like i said before, I can't believe we never saw this spat coming. Now it's happening, it seems so obvious it was going to happen.

Sooner or later the UK were going to get embroiled in the Euro whether they wanted to or not.

Roll on the "ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT" ....

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emphursis
Hopefully this will be the push needed for us to get completely out of the EU.

Yes or manage our finances better. We do pay a lot for what we receive from Europe and the EU policy does work in our favour. We are also one of the less corrupt countries.

Perhaps this may generate further UK tax increases. God, the next few years will hurt anyway!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt
"Officials from both euro and non-euro countries said Britain should not ask for help if it runs into trouble ...."

Bah forget them. The UK has other friends, and we're much more fiscally responsible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join