It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe tells Britain not to ask for help in a crisis

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thank you
that is what I was trying to say, perhaps in a clumsy way...

The contagion will spread in the form of protests, AND that France/Germany will run out of legs to carry any more bailouts through to legislation, due to the first point..

We are, I feel getting to the point of enough is enough.. Merkel is already suffering those effects, in the loss of seats, and prospective legal challenges to this current package..

Interesting times indeed... on your last point... Labour are now no longer in power in the Uk and we have (so they say) some Eurosceptics.. and I wonder what backroom deals will now be challenged.. that could mess a few things up..

I say could as I am really unsure how Eurosceptic the tories really are..

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I say could as I am really unsure how Eurosceptic the tories really are

By the sounds of this recent news story, things are not looking good in this respect, although time will tell -

The newly-minted Conservative-Liberal Democrat government coalition in London has forged an agreement on its future EU policy, moderating some of the harsher anti-EU Conservative initiatives as part of the compromise.

The deal, published on Wednesday afternoon (12 May), says the government "will be a positive participant in the European Union, playing a strong and positive role with our partners."

It maintains the Conservatives' pre-election pledge that Britain will not join the single currency, although the language has been softened and no longer includes the word "never."

When it comes to Europe, Tory and Lib Dem MEPs agree on the importance of the single market and free trade, but little else. The deputies have polar opposite views on EU defence, security, foreign affairs and constitutional issues.

The differences are symbolically illustrated by their position in the European Parliament. The 11 British Liberal Democrat MEPs sit with the third-biggest and very pro-EU Liberal faction.

Sounds like there could be some heated debates between the Lib Dems and the Tories in the coming months.....

euobserver.com...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

That is quite funny, because it will be Europe in a crisis.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Only in Europe can you create a coalition government of Liberals and Conservatives lol.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

It certainly will be interesting to see how they moderate each other, Europhobe and Eurosceptic...

Tho I can imagine both sides actually putting their fingers in their ears and going "lalala, I can't hear you" every time the press brings the topic up..

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Only in Europe can you create a coalition government of Liberals and Conservatives lol.

I find your comment very interesting...

I wonder at the differences we see in that one word, liberal, and perhaps in the word progressive..

Would you consider Thomas Paine a Liberal Progressive? as I would.. he started his political carreer is this constituency in England and we are still a Liberal stronghold.

Am tempted to create a thread looking at the differences in how we use those words in a political sense.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
In 1914 Britain was the richest country in the world, and made loans to France to help the French fight the Germans, Britain is STILL waiting for repayment of those loans, The interest must be astronomical by now, and the thrice damned French are upset because Alister wont loan them any more money?
If I had my finger on the button, guess where the nukes would fall??

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tauempire

Ummm, 1947, the Brits ask America for a 5 billion $ loan, at 2% finally paid off in 2007, yes, some bailout, and unlike Russia, the Brits did not stop paying for the armaments they received. In 1945 Uncle Joe stopped all payments to America.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Cameron and Clegg speak of 'people's politics' and listening and acting on the people's will.

Well maybe now is the time to demand an referendum on our continued membership of the EU?

Rockpuck If I could applaud you for your contribution to this thread I most certainly would.

And Slayer if the only English Ale you have tasted is the flat, warm dishwater served up down South then I'm not suprised you prefer German Lager.
Now true Northern Bitter and some of the Scottish beers, they are a different proposition all together!

Edit to replace 'election' with 'referendum' - my bad!

[edit on 13/5/10 by Freeborn]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The possibility of a modern democracy in the UK died when "senior Labour members" (whoever they are) torpedoed talks on a referendum on PR.

Whoever heard of a party that didn't want to stay in power?

Now we have the Tories, who suddenly are pro-EU. Quelle surprise! Blue and Red are owned by the same people.

Successive Blue / Red govts have gutted the country, selling off its assets to the wealthy on the cheap while importing cheap labor to suppress wages.

The financial crisis was visible light-years away. It was constructed as an excuse to slash the welfare safety net. Mark my words: The NHS is next.

We are heading back to the Victorian times, fast.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Cameron and Clegg speak of 'people's politics' and listening and acting on the people's will.

Well maybe now is the time to demand an election on our continued membership of the EU?

Rockpuck If I could applaud you for your contribution to this thread I most certainly would.

And Slayer if the only English Ale you have tasted is the flat, warm dishwater served up down South then I'm not suprised you prefer German Lager.
Now true Northern Bitter and some of the Scottish beers, they are a different proposition all together!

It would be interesting to see how they respond to Euro politics, tho given the debt crisis and how Merkel is already in trouble... my thoughts are on watching how that plays out.. but a referendum would have been good to allow the people at least some voice on those issues.

As for the remark, I presume you have not tried Harveys to make such a slur on us Southerns

www.harveys.org.uk...

Hmmmm, perhaps I'll have to invite you round for a few
so you can comment properly on the subject

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

OK - warn Britain at your risk. Britain is strong.

You people who live in Britain are lucky to live in a strong country.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfullbut a referendum would have been good to allow the people at least some voice on those issues.

Referendums are democratic. Britain does not have a democracy, but rather a very subtle and clever "two-party" dictatorship, as do the Americans.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

I must admit, I've never had the pleasure of Harvey's, and I have drank the length and breadth of this great Union of our's!

Cliche I know, but none the less true, Southern beers tend to be too warm and too flat for me...I like my beer cold and with a head!

I may just take you up on that offer one day my friend,

I think Cameron and Clegg would bottle it and not offer us a referendum.
They know that it would be a close run thing, (the vast majority of people I know want to come out of the EU).

Listen to the people?
Only when suits!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
So, they are going to tell Britain go and get #ed?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If excellent work UK!
Prosper on your own merits! I agree with the UK refusing to bail out Greece.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Give Britain a break.

Britain is here, Britain is strong, Britain is yay yay yay.

EVERYONE SAYS BRITAIN RULES.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
the 500 euro note is being withdrawn from sale in the UK under the story that almost all 500 euro notes in the UK are in the hands of criminals .... hmmmn....

"In some countries they're known as "Bin Ladens" - the banknote everybody knows exists but few, other than criminals, ever see. Now the 500 euro note is being withdrawn from sale in the UK"

source
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Reply to Pikestaff

Originally posted by pikestaff
reply to post by tauempire

Ummm, 1947, the Brits ask America for a 5 billion $ loan, at 2% finally paid off in 2007, yes, some bailout, and unlike Russia, the Brits did not stop paying for the armaments they received. In 1945 Uncle Joe stopped all payments to America.

You know your history

Weird thing just happened, by the way. Wondering now if you've managed to get yourself on the wrong side of someone in ATS. Because when I 'starred' your post, the star went instead to another member. I saw it happen. The screen flipped up to the other member in a split second and deposited the star intended for you.

But to make sure, I scrolled back down to your post and there it sat .... star-less. So I again starred it and this time, it 'took'

Anyway, nice post

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Another half decent Southern beer is Fuller's. Not as good (or anywhere near as strong) as Northern beers though. BTW, British beer isn't supposed to be warm, it's supposed to be chilled to ~4C.

I really have no idea what to expect from this new coallition government. I suspect that on many policies, the Lib Dems will be forced to simply roll over. They have already given up many concessions compared to the Tories.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join