It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Examination On Human Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
In this thread I will examine the properties of the mind in various states. The purpose of this examination is to determine if a state of mind, or consciousness, can exist beyond the destruction of the brain, which is believed to house this human consciousness. I will examine states of waking, sleep, comatose, and OBE's.

1. The Waking Mind

The waking mind is what we experience on a daily basis while awake. Electrical activity and blood flow in the human brain is very high, due to the obvious need to use one's brain in this state. The brain can be altered in this state due to physical trauma, emotional or mental trauma, or drugs. When altered, the brain behaves differently, as can be seen by an EEG, MEG, or fMRI. When the electrical activity or blood flow to the brain is altered, human behavior changes.

For example, when one suffers serious head trauma, amnesia can occur. Emotional trauma can result in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. PTSD drastically alters the personality of the sufferer, essentially changing who the person is.

Drugs will alter the mind in various ways, depending on the specific drug, and how much of it is in the body. Drugs affect the brain by entering the blood stream, which flows to the brain and can cause drastic changes in brain activity. Alcohol is considered a "depressant", as it slows down the central nervous system. Cocaine would be considered a "stimulant", as it speeds up the central nervous system. Adrenaline is also a natural stimulant that the body releases into the blood stream when affected by certain stresses like danger, anxiety, or lust. Human behavior changes when affected by drugs, varying in nature according to the type and amount of the drug.

It is safe to say that human consciousness (waking) is not a constant. That is, it doesn't remain unchanging. Studies of the brain while in the waking state support the idea that human consciousness is housed in the brain, and that the destruction of the brain would possibly result in the destruction of consciousness. An atheist death.

2. Sleeping (Lucid & Non-Lucid)

Some consider the sleeping brain fascinating. Let's examine the stages the human brain goes through when sleeping.

Stages of Sleep
Sleep moves in cycles of REM (rapid eye movement) and Non-REM sleep. This cycle is normally ordered N1, N2, N3, N2, REM. Brain activity in N1 is very similar to the waking state. N2 is characterized by the loss of awareness of the external environment, and quite possibly a loss of consciousness altogether. N3 is the lowest active stage of sleeping. This is the deep sleep stage.

REM is where almost all dreaming take place. When in REM sleep, the human body becomes paralysed by what is called "sleep paralysis". Sleep paralysis prevents the body from engaging in activities that are happening in the dream. This prevents of your actual body acting out the dream and potentially harming yourself.

Non-Lucid Dreaming
Most people dream non-lucid. That is, they are not aware that they are dreaming. To the non-lucid dreamer, everything in the dream is real. There is no distinguishing of reality. The brain actually believes that it is conscious, and in the waking state. Therefore, a human in a non-lucid dream will behave as if they are awake. If the person believes they are in danger, they will feel legitimate fear and anxiety.

Lucid Dreaming
Lucid dreaming describes a state of dreaming wherein the person is aware that they are in fact dreaming. Most people do not lucid dream, as it takes actual training in order to accomplish at will. It is very rare that a person is able to induce a lucid dream naturally, with no training beforehand. Since the brain knows that it is dreaming, and that dreams are not bound by the laws of physics or reality, the dreamer can literally do anything he/she wants. The only limit to what one can do while lucid dreaming is one's own imagination.

So, human consciousness while sleeping is also not a constant. Consciousness can be altered while asleep, through natural cycles of unconsciousness in the non-REM stages, and also depending on whether or not one is lucid while dreaming. Once again, the brain appears to house human consciousness while asleep, therefore suggesting that consciousness is indeed bound to a physical organ in the body.

3. Comatose

A coma is a profound state of unconsciousness. There are no sleep cycles in a coma, simply a prolonged state of unconsciousness lasting the length of the coma. A coma is essentially the result of bilateral damage to the reticular formation of the rhombencephalon, the area of the brain that is involved with the sleeping/waking cycles, and also somatic motor control and pain modulation. Somatic motor control refers to various functions such as relaying eye and ear signals to the cerebellum. This is why a comatose person does not and cannot respond to any outside stimuli; there aren't any signals being relayed for the brain to interpret.

Human consciousness is basically non-existent while the brain is in comatose. There is no consciousness to speak of. It is a total lack of experience of anything. It is the closest a human being can come to death without actually dying.

4. Out of Body Experiences

An OBE is a very sensational experience. It is characterized by the experience of being outside of one's own body. They can be induced through various means. Near Death Experiences sometimes trigger an OBE. Waking after a lucid dream can tigger an OBE, as can meditation, physical trauma, or drugs.

Regardless of what triggers the OBE, it is an undeniably well observed phenomenon. It is possible that human consciousness truly shifts outside of the body, unbound from the brain. It suggests that human consciousness may be able to exist independent of the brain, externally. If this is the case, it is also possible to transcend death and the destruction of the brain.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Conclusions

Human consciousness is relative to brain activity in the waking state, and also asleep. However, consciousness does not exist while in comatose, even though some brain activity is present. An OBE produces an experience of being external to one's own body, suggesting that consciousness can move beyond the brain. I would like to hear all of your thoughts on this subject. Do you think consciousness survives after death? Or does it die along with the brain?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
I would like to hear all of your thoughts on this subject. Do you think consciousness survives after death? Or does it die along with the brain?

Human consciousness dies with the death of the human body and brain. There's no question of that. Everything that we think we are, all our memories, our skills, our knowledge, our linear continuity, dies as the brain dies. However, awareness does not die — it exists before birth and exists beyond death.

Think of awareness as Electricity. Think of the human brain as a lightbulb. As awareness passes through the bulb, the bulb's filament glows brightly, and we may call this illumination human consciousness...evidence that awareness is present.

When the bulb finally burns out, no more illumination, the filament is destroyed. The bulb is dead. Yet, electricity surely survives the frailties of the light bulb.

Awareness survives. Consciousness doesn't.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

i like how you justified conscious being living awareness, it is very intelligent and true objective fact, as we can say that truth is intelligence life and also intelligence is void life

the idea i guess there, since truth prooved that freedom is life, then true free awareness would be living present

this is interesting from the sense i got in my life, how the fact that evil is responsable of death and needs could be true fact absolutely, it was my guess from what cannot be verified since all is confused to one life

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
it shows here the axe issue obvious in creations life, how void life is a certain one free living

that repetitions of evil livings meaning one source superior to all source

it is true from truth realisations of void life to intelligence life being superior truth fact existence

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Very interesting. I never thought of it like that. What led you to believe that there is an inherent awareness that thrives before and after an individual's human existence?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
from those true equations we can guess that void is One freedom life

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I tend to lean toward ancient eastern philosophies in this regard.... Therefore, I believe that our "awareness" as an individual being has been around for a VERY long time.. Constantly reincarnating in to physical form to experience whatever we need to experience whether it be karmatic or simply something we need to learn. "School Earth" if you will.. (or whatever planet)

I don't really distinguish between "consciousness" and "awareness" as I think they are one in the same... Are we not consciously aware of our surroundings? I think so ... So personally, I believe that our conscious awareness survives beyond physical death as part of a larger scheme of what we really are which is an infinite being that's growing in its own right...

Excellent thread! It always intrigues me to see how many different mindsets there are and how many different personal realities we all live based on what resonates with us the best!

Is it not amazing that we all live in the same place and time and experience so many VASTLY different beliefs?!?!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
Very interesting. I never thought of it like that. What led you to believe that there is an inherent awareness that thrives before and after an individual's human existence?

The first thing that led me to this vein of thinking was when I described to my mother a certain memory that I had of my father. She said, "No, you couldn't possibly remember that, you weren't even conceived at that point."

I said, "Well, I saw you kiss his face and take his suitcase from his hands because he was on crutches, and then you scolded him."

She was baffled. The event which I described to her had occurred almost a year before I was born. So, I wasn't even an embryo when it happened.

Yet... I was a aware.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

That's freakin' awesome...

Sorry for the one-liner but, the only way I think to describe it.. hehe

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

Yes, it is amazing. I would not say that we all live in the same place. Same time, yes, but place, not really. I mean, we are all here on planet earth, but the differences in regions and cultures are huge. I do understand your point there, though.

Eastern philosophy is one of the most appealing schools of thought for me. It is quite ancient in comparison to more modern religions, yet scientific data supports its teachings much more than the Abrahamic beliefs. For example, scientists discovered heat energy resonating from within a Buddhist monk who was meditating. They have always taught that the Qi energy resonates from the abdominal region, and this is exactly where the heat was located! Amazing to think that an ancient belief that predates modern technology was verified by modern technology! What else can we and will we discover to validate other teachings within these Eastern philosophies? If it is true that awareness is independent of physical human form, then reincarnation would be a certain given, because that awareness would move on after the death of its host body, and inhabit a new body. Unfortunately, this is not yet verified scientifically.

Interesting experience, my friend. I believe that dreams are sometimes insights into things like this, memories of past experiences that are not lain out in the remembrance database of our conscious brains. The subconscious is a strange place, and it is perhaps linked into the truer essence of who we really are, that is, our "true awareness" that transcends death.

Edited spelling.

[edit on 5/12/2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Agreed totally.. However, I personally refuse to wait around for mainstream western "science" to catch up with the beliefs of these cultures! In my opinion, we need to get out of our scientific mindset and re-focus on our spiritual roots. IMO, that's what it's all about. We can debate about the science of stuff until our hearts turn black and get nowhere. Heck, scientists within their own community don't even agree with each other! That tells me that there is a fundamental flaw in it to begin with. Perhaps we aren't meant to know the science of it or maybe the science is SO absolutely unbelievable that we're not even close to comprehending it. I tend to believe the ladder! I think we're stuck in a rut with Newtownian Physics and it hinders us finding out the true reality that is life.. But, that's just my opinion!

Regardless, like you said... It's amazing how much we CAN back up these ancient teachings in current times and it appears that more and more people are turning to these teachings. I certainly don't believe that these were the nomadic rock carvers that mainstream science leads us to believe!!! I think our history is filled with amazing things that we haven't even begun to discover. Or, perhaps have been discovered and we simply aren't told about it. Unfortunately, this can get in to western philosophy and religion which has a stranglehold on our country and has most certainly suppressed, changed and destroyed original teachings. But, i'm not gonna go there!!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Human consciousness dies with the death of the human body and brain. There's no question of that. Everything that we think we are, all our memories, our skills, our knowledge, our linear continuity, dies as the brain dies. However, awareness does not die — it exists before birth and exists beyond death.

There's no question of that? Oh really? There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that anything you see, externally, including your body and brain is even real. The only thing tha even can be proved is consciousness. The observer exists, the rest does not have any basis. Based on what can and cannot be determined, you draw the least obvious conclusion?

Reality is an illusion. An illusion created by the Mind

Perception - The reality beyond matter

Where Science and Buddhism Meet PART 1

Note, the whole secret to reality, and progression, is:

"Do not try to bend the spoon — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon." --The Matrix.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

Yes, it would be silly to wait around for western science to catch up to ancient philosophy, because it might not happen. I do not at all think that science is infallible. Not even proven scientific laws. The quantum world is a vastly undiscovered universe of strange happenings that we haven't even began to grasp. The tip of the iceberg? No. What we know of the quantum world is more akin to an earthworm trying to understand complex algebra. Still, however, I do not believe that the quantum world even holds all of the answers. Many of them, possibly, but not all.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Your belief is only that: your belief. It is useless to attack someone for what they believe.

That said, I DO AGREE that only the observer is proven to exist. That is, I myself am 100% sure of one thing and one thing only: that I exist. I have held this philosophy since I was a small child. When I was in elementary, I would get in trouble for daydreaming because I was always zoning off in deep thought, wondering if I was really the only solitary being (and all of the other possible theories of existence that come along with that). Still, I cannot dismiss this belief entirely, but I also cannot embrace it. It is simply an underlying possibility that cannot realistically be explored.

I will watch your videos later, when I have the time.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

void is one freedom life, void is like the objective supporting one free living, you cannot see it at all, that is why it is turn to look nothing or one freedom

and multiplication of ones in same reality was meant to see it as proving it closely, each one saying hey get out, and while billions together in negative conditions objectively forcing them to share, reality say how it has almost nothing to do with them and individually they are mistaken everything about anyone else

at the base we are all of that void base, so we are absolutely intelligent ones but as you said sleeping or awake

now saying how void is freedom one life, it clearly mean that we cannot know the source of one life, void is the max far we can reach that tell us u stop there, dig into you if you really want to know more

but it says why creations are based on nothing or always negative to one, from where truth say that one life is what void support

my guess is what makes us ones awake is also a free positive will from objective positive sense to realize freely
it can occur anywhere and there is no rules for, but of course we can guess and surely when we are positive free moves like
what is sure it what it means always positive more, so it is related to positive truth but also to positive superiority that cannot be refrained as an absolute fact of positive truth result

so it has to do necessarly with positive intelligence truth to be aware but also that subjective positive free sense about it

and here where all proove being intelligent there, but liars also
in what they mean moving in the condition of getting the rewards of move first, and so in being negative to positive true move freedom, they deny the true intelligence of positive fact and claim that positive is absolute reality result so anything there as them equally, and not in essence free alawys evolving fact to more truly

so it is not about stupidity but about denial for wills and about void truth that make those means determining all the moves realities

but there is another point to understand the reality we are all of living, what i said say the lackness of positive free wills results
but the other fact is the presence of negative wills results
that is of gods and mostly one god freedom existence

void is the objective support to free positive one life
black holes are the objective support to free negative evil god existence

that is why it is like void function, a screen that nothing can penetrate

god is the source of negative awareness there are plenty of them from their free love to god but also from god making them to be his life absolutely as one and all

so god work by stimulating pains and negative conditions forcing the unknown to be, it is vulgar how they mean to proceed
then they watch how they react, who are going to move as positive true that would mean necessarly fixing anything out there
or ones that would move like them meaning more present from whatever assimilation to their present now, without reference to truth for positive identification

usually there the reference is others livings standards, that is why it is based on competitions rewards of jaleousy hatred base

that is why knowledge can be a bad thing when it means to awake who is not really true present there
and that is why in such conditions of creations we can say that true awareness are only the ones that feel concerned a lot about evil and try individually their best to mean their smiles forced keep their sense of existing sane and stay sensible

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by imans

Unfortunately I'm having a very difficult time understanding your posts. Is Arabic your native language?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
There's no question of that? Oh really?

Do you have any personal wisdom on the subject, or is it all soundbites and YouTube clips and vague references to a sci-fi movie?

Really hate to pop your cherry, chum, but it's not as fiendishly complex as you want to make it. Consciousness dies. Everything you think you know has about as much value as a drunken scribble on a paper napkin. When you cross to the other side you discover that there is no linear continuity, there is no "special place" for you to spend your eternity. You're in your eternity at this moment. This body will burn out, lose consciousness and fall away, and your awareness will remain — actually, the Universal Awareness will remain, as there is no such thing as "individual" awareness or consciousness any more than there is such a thing as "individual" fire.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
And, in response to the U2U, it's very easy to distinguish between awareness and consciousness. Consciousness can be switched off, it can burn out, it can fade away. Consciousness can die.

But Awareness is open 24-7-365.

Need proof? Look at any OBE or NDE... The body is unconscious — but the Awareness is soaring high above it all. Awareness begets consciousness, not the other way 'round.

People who are clinically dead — no neural activity — are miraculously resuscitated and relate that they were fully AWARE of everything going on around them, although they were UNCONSCIOUS. This is a fact, I've experienced it twice, at least.

So, yeah, Awareness is the constant, while Consciousness is erstwhile.

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

why arabic it is obvious how i dont know arabic and surely dont think of arabic
universal awareness positive life cannot be of arabic mind or self language reference
that is stupid insistence in using god and your jesus pretending to glorify for your subjective evil means to kill the truth you should know that you are clearly naked yourself, and for this information i gave you here that you didnt thank me correctly for it, it is another issue you would deal with alone in revealing your end

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join