It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks show al-Qaida in Iraq still powerful, Now what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Article

BAGHDAD – A flurry of attacks blamed on al-Qaida defied claims by the U.S. and Iraq that they dealt the militants a severe blow by killing their two leaders last month.

Analysts say the violence — most of it against Shiite targets — is likely an attempt to re-ignite sectarian warfare, a tactic that could work if Sunnis lose faith in the political process and Iraqis once again turn to militias to protect them if the government cannot.

A combination of car bombs, suicide blasts and shootings across 10 cities from the north to the south convulsed Iraq Monday and killed 119 people, the deadliest day this year. Two more bombs killed five people Tuesday in a Baghdad neighborhood that was once a stronghold of al-Qaida-linked insurgents.

The attacks followed a string of victories announced by the government against the insurgents. In April, the two top leaders of al-Qaida in Iraq were killed in a U.S.-Iraqi raid and dozens of other operatives were rolled up around the country, some even forced to make televised confessions.

I just saw this on the news an hour ago and decided to post it. There were 119 people killed the other day. Personally, I dont agree with what the US is doing in Iraq, but thats another story.

What I want to know is - what have we done in Iraq? 119 people killed in one day after years of fighting, but what have we accomplished? Do I feel safer in my house now? Did we prevent World War 3? Seriously, what the heck are we doing there? Saddam didnt have nukes, neither did he even like al-qaida. He said he evem thought religious extremests were dangerous to him.

What are we doing there????

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I wouldn't link these groups to Al-queda, I believe they are working with the Iranians to weaken the government. Iran has a vested interest in Iraq, they were scared to take it over when Sadaam was their because Iran believed Sadaam had WMD's. Now with their main threat gone, Iran is free to wreak as much havoc as possible.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Al-Qaida?

At this stage.. Wouldn't it be fair to assume that the attackers are the local variation of "Freedom Fighters" as opposed to a database of insurgents trained directly and indirectly by the CIA?

I mean, it is a country that was invaded by the US for no real reason, a puppet government installed and the original Iraqi army and Republican Guard still underground and well trained..

The use of Al-Qaida is most definitely propaganda..

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
"Attacks show al-Qaida in Iraq still powerful, Now what?"

Erm.... We could stop funding and training them for a start, that would probs nip the problem in the bud.

top topics

join