It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some GOOD news!! Baby reindeer is England's first for thousands of years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
With all the negative stories littering ATS at the moment, here's a feel good story that I hope puts a smile on everyones faces!!

g

The baby reindeer – nicknamed Blue – is thought to be the first born in the country since the last ice age. Blue's parents were imported from Scandinavia to the Trevarno Estate near Helston, Cornwall.

Officials imported the reindeer in 2008 as part of the estates' Christmas celebrations in its public house and gardens.

But the animals have now acclimatised and 8lb Blue was born on May 1 to mum Prancer and dad Rudolph.

There were wild herds in Scotland until the 13th century when they were hunted to extinction.

But a spokesman from the British Deer Society said: "Reindeer haven't been indigenous in England for at least 2,000 years, but that figure could be nearer to 10,000 years

Good to know, there are a few happy stories out there, and not all bad news!!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Good story, thanks for the post

I find it refreshing to tune into some good news when I can. There are stories everyday of triumphs of the human spirit whether it be good prevails over bad, or goodwill is generated and shared, or lives are saved, or technology aids humankind etc.... But it seems you kinda have to look for reports of good news these days, it is not sensational enough for mainstream I guess, or TPTB don't want us goin' and gittin' ourselves inspired!

Either way, thanks for a smile today and here are a couple of additional sources for good news...Peace
GO BLUE!!!!!

HAPPY NEWS
www.happynews.com...

GOOD NEWS NETWORK
www.goodnewsnetwork.org...

Upon further thought, I wonder how a "Good News" forum would do here? Where people could post stories they find or personally share in. I know I consciously post positive story links on my FB page sometimes just to hopefully throw something inspiring into the mix. Yes, I try to keep my glass half full.....

[edit on 11-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
WOW! This is amazing news!

S&F for a refreshing change of happy news!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Thank you! It's good to see another example of indigenous animals being reintroduced. Even if at the outset, it is for commercial purposes. There's been lots of success with birds, Red Kites in the Chilterns, Golden Eagle in the Highlands and with marine mammals in Cardigan Bay and the Irish Sea, (although I think many of these returned naturally once the waters had been cleaned up).

It will be interesting to see repatriation of herds of reindeer into the wild.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

I agree, it's great to see these animals being introduced back into a country they used to live in.

As longs it's done properly in the right conditions then brilliant.

I think they are also considering re-introducing wolves to part of Scotland also.

g

top topics

join