It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stress Response in Women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Why is it that if there is a new scientific discovery that shows the similarity in males and females it's plastered all through the media. Yet I read a new scientific discovery months ago that you never hear of...it's a dramatic difference between male and female.
Scientists working together noticed that whenever the women on the job site were under stress 'they would come in, clean the lab, had coffee, and bonded. When the men were stressed they holed up somewhere on their own.'
When under stress a cascade of hormones prepare the body for the fight or flight response.
A UCLA study found that when OXYTOCIN in women is released it buffers the fight or flight response and encourages her to tend children and gather with women. When she engages in this tending and befriending, more oxytocin is released which further counters stress and produces a calming effect. This does not occur in men because the high levels of testosterone released under stress reduces the effects of oxytocin.
Many studies have found that social ties reduce our risk of disease by lowering blood pressure, heart rate, and cholesterol. There have been studies that prove having friends reduce the likelihood of physical impairments as we age, and get through times of grief easier. Not having friends is as detrimental to the health as smoking or carrying extra weight.

When I read this I thought of 911. When these mothers were out there separated from their children, trying to get home. The only thing they could think of was seeing their children with their own eyes to know for sure they are OK. I know that when it happened, although thousands of miles away, I couldn't relax until my son was home from school an I could actually see that he was OK.
The agenda of the fanatical feminists is to suppress any scientific discoveries that show women to be caregivers, they have been trying to remove that notion from our minds saying that we were under bondage to men and we don't want to go back there. I once was told (by a high-school macho-feminist) that I was denying my feminism by staying at home to raise my youngest son. These kind of feminists don't want equality they want total control. They want our boys to be raised by someone that has no vested interest in their future as the next generation of leaders, they don't want them raised to be comfortable with their masculinity...but ashamed of it.
I also found when doing a search on OXYTOCIN that it also affects the relationship between man and woman, parents and children. When we are touched oxytocin is released, and makes us feel good about the person who touched us and increases the desire to touch them. In men it increases the production of testosterone and the sex drive increases. In women it creates sexual desire, when coupled with estrogen, it creates the desire to be penetrated. Without estrogen oxytocin is virtually powerless. Oxytocin increases sensitivity to the sexual organs, nipples and causes a stronger orgasm and ejaculation. Oxytocin moves us toward sex, sex increases the production of oxytocin, the more touch the more the increase. Without the touching women don't have the desire for sex, the more touching the more receptive she is.
In todays society women feel more touch-starved than men, probably because they have more estrogen. A woman who doesn't get enough touch becomes withdrawn and depressed. In this condition a woman can become strongly and even violently opposed to sexual touch. If the condition continues, she may become so withdrawn that she is no longer open to the very touch she needs.
Interestingly another effect of oxytocin is that it decreases mental processes and impairs memory. This is why hugging and touching can help us recover from an arguement, it helps us to stop thinking about it and even forget some of the pain we felt.
We must look for opportunities to touch. Even a gentle, brief touch has an effect and the more the better. When watching TV, reading, or talking with friends make contact with your mate, when walking hold hands, rubbing the others shoulders or feet...so anything that brings your body in contact with your spouse. Don't forget the children, they need touch too, it creates a strong bond and good feelings.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Wow.

Great find.

It is nice to see that science will support our craving to be touched and loved.

When we had our 2nd child momma was so upset because the nurses cleaned baby up and wrapped her up and put her in the incubator.
There were no complications at all and the nurses all left the room.

My wife was so upset because she just wanted to hold her. Once I brought her over it was wonderful to watch.

Amazingly enough the nurse was fairly ticked off when she came back and discovered that baby was with mom and not under the bright light.

Crazy.
I think that sometimes technology gets inthe way of how things should be.

join