It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Lars Vilks (mohammed cartoonist) attacked during lecture

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

VIDEO: Lars Vilks (mohammed cartoonist) attacked during lecture

www.thelocal.se

Artist Lars Vilks, who caused controversy by drawing cartoons that depicted the prophet Muhammad as a dog, has been attacked while giving a lecture at Uppsala University. [...]
Vilks became notorious in parts of the Muslim world for portraying the Islamic prophet Muhammad as a roundabout dog.

The publication of the drawings in the Nerikes Allehanda newspaper led to death threats from a number of organizations, including an al-Qaeda-affiliated organization which offered $150,000 for his murder. Vilks was consequently forced to accept police protection.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here's the video: www.youtube.com...

The people who attacked him, and those who seem to scream 'Allahu Akbar' didn't look like they just came out of a cave in Afghanistan.

Now, before anyone jumps in with "Not all muslims... etc..."
is it safe for me to suggest that depicting someone as a dog is a lesser crime than attacking a person, or putting a bounty on his head?

I think it is, and I think people need to be able to stay calm in the face of ridicule of their religion, leader, creed or even nationality.

I would like to see moderate believers from all religions take a stand against the religious fanatics within their own religion, but I'm starting to get the feeling that that is wishful thinking.

Perhaps they're afraid to become an opposition to the fanatics, or are they afraid that such opposition translates to opposing their respective God?

www.thelocal.se
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If you put the sanctity of a fictional or historical being before the sanctity of a living one, there is something perversely wrong with your psyche.

As for the content of the video, well, is there really anything to be shocked about? Vilks knew what he was getting into when he started down this road. At the same time, he's done the world a great service by bringing to light the uncivilized behavior of even "westernized" Muslims.

I've been to the middle east, lived in a number of locations. We wouldn't be in this position if we'd kept our promises to the ottoman empire instead of breaking it up. It had been very effective for centuries at keeping this problem at a simmer, rather than the full boil it is now.

Racism, Religious Intolerance. Pfah. Just weasel words to try and ignore the issue at hand. The modern interpretation of Islam is corrupt, and being used to justify a violent bid for world power by its religious leaders. Not unlike the corruption and subsequent bid for power by Christianity during the Crusades.

What do actions like this accomplish other than radicalizing sane populations against yourself? You are either uncivilized radicals, or civilized humans. There is no middle ground.

And no, Vilks has no defense. He knew what he was doing, he'll get what he knew was coming to him. You can't poke a viper and cry when it bites you.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by D.E.M.]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I am not surprised by the actions used against this individual. And I wouldn't be surprised by people who defend such actions of criminality this person endured. Just because I am not surprised does not mean that I promote this behavior.

The individuals who promote such behavior against freedom of expression need to take a hard look at the oppressive regimes they left to be able to enjoy the same freedoms they once were not allowed to before. These same individuals are protected under the umbrella of equality to draw whoever they wish with what ever attributes.

So go get a paint brush and draw away. I am have some drawings of my own coming on May 22nd.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I am not defending the man's slur in any way. It was gauche & there is no excuse.

HOWEVER. This is why such cross migration- "globalism" is not a good idea & will not work. The outcome is oppressive and steals the freedom of individuals; trying to transform ALL people into a lifeless, grey body of automatons. It destroys freedom & free will.
In Sweden, the man's cartoon most probably would have been laughed off- like some person with a sarcastic, snarky, irreverent sense of humor. If it were so socially unacceptable *in his culture*, he wouldn't have done it.
It may have been considered tasteless- maybe no class, but funny to many people nonetheless (look at "comedy" in the US. Big industry. We know who dominates it)

A large presence of an alien anything in Sweden (or any country)- who, naturally, have a different culture; different understandings, different reactions, PLUS a language barrier, inhibits the natural inhabitants of that country and becomes oppressive. It changes life for them against their collective will. It not only removes their freedom of choice to accept or reject the "offense" as they normally would; to have an opinion, but in their indignation that an "outsider" would "have the nerve" to cause trouble *in their country*, propels them in a different direction than they might have otherwise gone.
"Multiculturalism" to THIS extreme CHANGES cultures & sovereign countries in a negative way, not for the better overall. It fosters resentment & hostility and the people feel invaded & under siege- because they are.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Whoa!!
That's twice we've agreed in ONE day.

I will never understand why some Muslim's get so peeved about this. The only reason I 'defend' other actions is because I can understand where they are coming from. I use quotations because I don't necessarily try to defend the actions as excusable, only to say that the reasons behind such behavior and actions is understandable.

In the case of Mohammed drawings and depictions, I am at a loss as such things most certainly do not warrant any kind of actions such as those portrayed by the offended.

I don't think you'll see anyone trying to excuse this attack. But, more effed up things have happened.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
And no, Vilks has no defense. He knew what he was doing, he'll get what he knew was coming to him. You can't poke a viper and cry when it bites you.
[edit on 11-5-2010 by D.E.M.]

I agree with pretty much all of what you posted, but I'm not sure about the above part.

Poking a viper is a physical touch, a grand invasion of the sacred space bubble surrounding the viper.

Is ridiculing a long dead, religious icon comparable to an invasion of the physical sacred space bubble surrounding a person?

I don't think so, and that is the issue at heart here: people feeling offended.

So, should we just cave in and abide to new laws prohibiting the defamation of religion and refrain from insulting/ridiculing religions?

As long as those religions insult and oppress women, gays, non-believers, etc.. the answer for me will remain a wholehearted: NO...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
The outcome is oppressive and steals the freedom of individuals; trying to transform ALL people into a lifeless, grey body of automatons. It destroys freedom & free will.

Are you sure you're not talking about organized religion?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Another example of religion continuing to impede the progress of humanity. Free speech is much more sacred than your gods.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
He ran away without facing anyone like a man even with police around him.

thats like calling someone's dead mum names and then when they come after you, you go hide and let you're friends take the beating.

i wouldnt feel sorry for him if the muslims rip him in half, why?

because hes asking for it, they didnt kill him when he drew muhammed, now hes giving lectures. what does he expect? a round of applause?

Lars Vilks you are a coward, i hope nobody gets hurt because you like being stupid.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
i wouldnt feel sorry for him if the muslims rip him in half, why?

Why? Because apparently you're an inhumane brute.
Grow up

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

you're the one who needs to grow up and realise that the world doesnt revolve around you.

get over it, the muslims will never allow anyone to make fun of their prophet. i know this, you know this, and even jesus christ himself knows this. they made it clear.

look at it from this point of view, what good comes out of mocking the muslim prophet? freedom of speech has nothing to do with it, NOTHING.

so what good comes out of it? what do these people gain? does it satisfy them when they mock other faiths?

bunch of losers, and the muslims are no better but what can you do. you cant convince millions of muslims to be more understanding.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

you're the one who needs to grow up and realise that the world doesnt revolve around you.

get over it, the muslims will never allow anyone to make fun of their prophet. i know this, you know this, and even jesus christ himself knows this. they made it clear.

look at it from this point of view, what good comes out of mocking the muslim prophet? freedom of speech has nothing to do with it, NOTHING.

so what good comes out of it? what do these people gain? does it satisfy them when they mock other faiths?

bunch of losers, and the muslims are no better but what can you do. you cant convince millions of muslims to be more understanding.

Who is mocking this prophet of yours? Freedom of Speech and Expression means that anything someone wants to express or say is allowed without penalty. If such freedoms bother you, then please excuse yourself to a country that doesn't allow for such freedoms to be expressed. You'll feel more at home that way.

Have you been oblivious to all of the satire that is available for every religion out there?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I always loved drawing cartoons and whatnot, wouldn't want that loud girl near me......

I would eventually not resist doing something like this:
Girl: Hey there, who are you drawing there?
Me: Muhammad...
Girl: ALLAHU AKBAR
Me: Ali
Girl: Oh, ok honey, enjoy.

[edit on 11/5/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So... this guy Lars Vilks shows a picture with erotic content with muhammed with a few naked men around him and this reaction is a surprise?

It would have been pretty much the same with chatholics if jesus was shown erotically with a few naked men around him.

Remember this, in america you have no right not to be offended. You must deal with such offences in your own personal and legal ways.

This guy Lars Vilks should watch out for those few extermists found in every religion, they can potentially be very dangerous.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Who is mocking this prophet of yours? Freedom of Speech and Expression means that anything someone wants to express or say is allowed without penalty.

It doesnt bother me. hell you can draw muhammed all day long for all i care. it doesnt mean anything to me. but try telling that to the millions of muslims who get offended.

oh wait did you even read my post?

why do i keep hearing the same thing, if you dont like it then leave this country. i never said i dislike or liked it. again i dont give a rats *ear*

but the muslims have made it clear that making fun of their prophet will lead to nasty things. its all up to u to make what you want of it.

again, i dont give a *banana* because the pictures mean *anything* all. they're only cartoons!

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue May 11 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Free speech is a powerful tool. Used in the wrong way free speech can be devastating. The opposite is also true. Free speech comes with great responsibility.

Drawing something you know is going to be extremely offensive to others is wrong, even if you think their belief is silly. You have the right to do it but that doesn't mean you should do it.

A line has been drawn...I'm curious to see who will have the balls to repeat this sort of action.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Elzon

This guy Lars Vilks should watch out for those few extremists found in every religion, they can potentially be very dangerous.

Judging from the "Allahu Akbar" cheers coming from the crowd we aren't really talking about a few cave dwelling extremists anymore, are we?

It's sad how some here say: "He should've seen it coming" in regards to the cartoonist, yet not in regards to the muslims who felt insulted...

Imo, THEY are the ones who should've seen the ridicule coming, knowing full well the liberties we enjoy in the West when it comes to freedom from religious oppression, as well as the nature of political satire, free speech and the comedy we (still) enjoy.

TonyClifton: "Drawing something you know is going to be extremely offensive to others is wrong, even if you think their belief is silly."

I think silly is not the right word. In certain countries their 'silly' belief allows them to execute people for being gay, and if they are spreading propaganda and violently trying to force their belief upon non-believers, perhaps it deserves criticism?

It's kind of a paradox:

Should we tolerate intolerance? But not tolerating intolerance IS intolerance...

This is why it's almost an issue that cannot be resolved rationally, because their intolerance is irrational, unless you think gay- or women's rights, or freedom from religious oppression, are irrational.

In the end, it boils down to who makes the rules, and in the case of Europe, I think it's safe to say that Europe makes the rules and Islam is the guest.

Conversely, in some Islamic countries Islam makes the rules, and Europeans are guests.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Conspiracy Pianist]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Agreed, to an extent. What good comes from mocking [anyone's] prophet or reverent being or savior? NOTHING ... but it sure does seem to rally the bandwagons of Both sides.

Wash-Rinse-Repeat. History 101. :shk:

It would seem, that by doing so, they "feel" a little better about themself
... don't ask me why.

Hell. We (society/people) have a hard time convincing ANY "millions" to be "more understanding" of ANY thing. We're lucky to get even minimal agreeance with regards the latest fashion(s) and trends. Who's hot. Who's not. The next American Idiot or latest faux-Survival/Reality series.

You're asking a lot and promoting the same, all the while.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

but the muslims have made it clear that making fun of their prophet will lead to nasty things.

The death sentence for drawing a cartoon... I consider it blackmail, and I think it's a bad idea to succumb to it.

If people become murderous when their idol is being made fun of in a cartoon, they have some serious issues, and should perhaps not live in the dangerously free societies of the West. Either they get the heck out of town or do some soul searching, accept our freedoms and take the hit, like so many other religions here have to do.

But allowing them to force their incompatible sense of 'justice' unto non-Islamic people? No way, we still have plenty of oppression to deal with as we speak.

12m8keall2c: "What good comes from mocking [anyone's] prophet or reverent being or savior?"

It kicks them off the pedestal that the clergy of organized religion has put them on, and leaves them open for scrutiny. Hypocrisies, contradictions, etc.. can be pointed out and examined, and people might stop certain destructive beliefs or traditions as a result. It leaves room for open debate and research, room for education, growth, evolution.

Censorship doesn't, it keeps people spinning around in circles, never learning anything new, not going anywhere, stagnation...

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Conspiracy Pianist]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join