It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family missing after house sinks in 'gigantic crater'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Family missing after house sinks in 'gigantic crater'

www.thestar.com

An old-style country house described as the loveliest in a lush farming community was suddenly sucked into the earth, leaving search crews scrambling Tuesday to reach the family of four believed to be inside.
A spectacular ground collapse gobbled up three cars, one stretch of a concrete road and most of the pretty home that sat by a now-disintegrated cliff overlooking the Yamaska River.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I would never have expected this, earth crumbling before our feet. This is just sad, the dog supposedly dug himself out, but the rest of the family are missing. This is raising concern over other people in the area, if they are wondering if it might happen to their house. Seems like you aren’t even be safe in your own home anymore.

www.thestar.com

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just saw this on CNN... freak accident if ive ever heard of one.

I wonder if this is a normal sinkhole, caused by eroded limestone, or if it due to the retreating permafrost.

Hope the family is all right... Poor dog needs someone to take care of him.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Your comment is one of the funniest have ever heard. Think Pompeii, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires, floods...what have I missed?

Originally posted by Maddogkull

I would never have expected this, earth crumbling before our feet. This is just sad, the dog supposedly dug himself out, but the rest of the family are missing. This is raising concern over other people in the area, if they are wondering if it might happen to their house. Seems like you aren’t even be safe in your own home anymore.

www.thestar.com

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It wasn't a sinkhole. It was a landslide The area is prone to them as are most hilly areas with clay soil.

Originally posted by Gamecock
Just saw this on CNN... freak accident if ive ever heard of one.

I wonder if this is a normal sinkhole, caused by eroded limestone, or if it due to the retreating permafrost.

Hope the family is all right... Poor dog needs someone to take care of him.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i did geology at uni and one thing always amazed / shocked me the amount of houses on really dangerous areas. be it subsiding land , volcanic areas or fault lines.. it just amazes me

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pacific_waters

Not in Quebec at least.... We build up a certain amount of safeness in our own areas. We do not expect these things to happen in these areas. These areas are not prone to hurricanes, tornados, volcanos

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The article states that the family was in the basement at the time of landslide.

No idea how on earth that is known, but if it is true...

...then they aren't missing. The bodies just haven't been recovered yet.

Judging by the grim tone of the article, I'm assuming that there isn't much hope for their safe return.

Positive thoughts go out to their loved ones in these times of tragedy.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

Unfortunatly. the four bodies have just been found. My sympaties to the familly. They were in the basement watching the hockey game on tv.
They had no chances. Their dog is the only survivor.

The place was considered low risk but witness stated that small slides have been noted near the Yamaska river. There has been a few landslide in the last twenty years along this river.

Source here (sorry but in french)

[edit on 11-5-2010 by grandnic]

top topics

join