It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Albinos Killed in Burundi for Belief That ‘Good Luck’ is Brought by Body Parts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Attackers in Burundi chopped off the limbs of a 5-year-old albino boy and pulled out his mother’s eye, killing them over the belief that their body parts would bring wealth and success, human rights activists said Friday.

Those deaths and other recent attacks in Tanzania are part of long pattern of violence against African albinos. At least 10,000 have been displaced or gone into hiding since attacks against them spiked in late 2007, the International Federation of the Red Cross says.

Since then, 57 albinos have been killed in Tanzania and 14 in Burundi, said Vicky Ntetema with the rights group Under The Same Sun.

The killings are fueled by superstitious beliefs that human albino body parts will bring others wealth and success, Ntetema said.

“Body parts are sought for their supposed miraculous powers,” she said. “Some use them as human sacrifice as advised by witch doctors.”

Source

Original story

This is ridiculous and quite enraging. The sh*t people kill over and get killed over these days...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
TANZIA?!?!?!?
It figures...their only 500 years behind the rest of the modern world
Sick M EFFERS

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The saddest thing is that these body parts DO bring wealth...

...in the form of big payoffs from witch doctors who purchase them to further the mysticism headlock they have the locals in.

Something wrong? go to the witch doctor!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

Everybody knows if you drink the blood and eat the body it
guarantees you a place in heaven.
Its called Paganism.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
And we wonder why Africa is such a mess. Some of these people are still stuck 1000 years in the past. Pathetic. Maybe it's good the West is going to imperialize Africa once again. I mean doesn't seem like Africans can get their crap together.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't understand why Africans have this thing about cutting each others limbs off?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

Hi,new here.
I am a white south african,and u'll be amazed at what people are told by the sangomas(witch doctors).Rape a baby girl and u'll be cured from aids,young ones are killed at a alarming rate for their genitals by crimminals and sold to sangomas for muti(witch meds).African beliefs and traditions are quite scarry.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

There are thousands of tribes, ethnic groups and cultures in Africa with many different customs and traditions. Don't generalize the entire African population just because one group of people believe in committing the heinous acts the OP posted.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Striker122]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

I know Native Americans did some gruesome things to each other...........but I've never heard of them believing in or doing things that African tribes do. Seem to define the word "heinous".

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Striker122

I know Native Americans did some gruesome things to each other...........but I've never heard of them believing in or doing things that African tribes do. Seem to define the word "heinous".

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Why do you say "African tribes"? It almost seems like you're speaking of all tribes in Africa.

Like I said earlier, there are thousands of different ethnic groups, tribes and cultures in Africa who have many different traditions and customs they practice. Not everyone in Africa does what some of these Tanzanians do.

top topics

join