It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmanned planes could begin flying over Texas in a matter of months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Unmanned planes could begin flying over Texas in a matter of months

www.statesman.com

U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar said Monday that he expects the federal government to deliver unmanned aircraft to watch over the border with Mexico by this fall.

subject to Federal Aviation Administration approval to allow the surveillance planes — often referred to in the political vernacular as "Predator drones" — to fly over Texas.

a spokeswoman for General Atomics, said one unmanned aircraft costs $10 million to $12 million.

the Air Force is buying them as fast as they can
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Congrats!
Texas becomes Pakistan!
Well no bomb dropping yet but it'll come

Everyone that could be protecting this country are all involved in illegal wars then the same people that support these wars whine about immigration issues... go figure.

More money down the well, 10 to 12Million dollars for ONE predator drone?
That is ludicrous, I always say forget the AZ bill increase border security, unfortunately the govt. will just end up flushing that money in the toilet.

Why wasn't there any border security though?
Well now you know, because it was always YOU that was the enemy!

Imagine 10 million dollars and what that could do for manned aircrafts?
Just imagine!

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.statesman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
thats crazy expensive for a damn remote controlled airplane.

couldnt they just buy an RC toy and strap a camera to it? i mean its not like they will be taking anybody out with these...or dog fighting...

ive seen a few fly over my house in the past month coming from oakland airport...they sound like a damn lawn-mower...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Discussions in Washington have centered on bringing one Predator to Texas to be deployed along the border with Mexico to fight drug trafficking, human smuggling and violent Mexican drug cartels.

www.statesman.com...

Either I'm missing something, or I just don't understand the technology. How is deploying one predator to Texas going to help ?

The plane, which is made by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems and officially called a Predator B, is able to spot illegal border activity and send images in real time to border officials.

At that point, Border Patrol agents could be dispatched, according to Customs and Border Protection.

Spend 10-12 million bucks on one unmanned plane to Send images in real time so the agents can be dispatched ?! For that kind of money they should be able to stop people from crossing the border.

I have an idea. How bout they don't spend that kind of money on an unmanned aircraft and use real people instead. They can spend that money to beef up the number of border patrol agents, Or use the national guard. Better yet they can bring our troops home (get them out of a war that isn't ours) and let them patrol and secure our borders.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I fly UAVs and there are much smaller ones that would do an excellent job for fraction of the cost. 10 little ones that can stay up all day or night can cover much more area than the expensive predator.

How about a fleet of 100 for that cost and use a few gallons of gas for 12 plus hours of observation? UAVs are great for this and they can detect anything that moves, follow it and tell the border patrol right where they are heading day or night, makes no difference.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Xtrozero]

new topics

top topics

join