It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Message To All Oil Spill Gloomers---RELAX!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
a bunch of BS
[edit on 11-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

Give it another month, and the OP will be eating his words.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
if more people where like the OP then the world would be in such a bad place right now.

thank god some of us still have brains in out heads and not stones.

every disaster starts with DONT WORRY EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
First I would like to say ATS is a very unique site to say the least. I'm thankful to have found it and all the great members here. They aren't shy in helping me to open my narrow minded way of thinking thats for sure.

Second, throughout life I've been conditioned to react moreso with emotions and I don't like it. It's hindered me too much, before I know it, I've traveled down empty roads.
I find myself caught up in unnecessary time wasting crap all the while missing out on learning and thinking out of the box. I want to deny ignorance, this site is making this happen for me.
But everyday it seems harder and harder. There is so much drama, panic, ...even screaming. It's sad!
So I find someone who speaks with a calmer voice, who speaks few words, who post sources/facts that speak for him.
He doesn't deny this isn't bad, in fact he has repeated himself that it's bad.

To be honest, him choosing to speak so few words..... it's driving others CRAZY! This cracks me up.
It seems like the gloomers are going to explode because they aren't reading terminal, horrific, loud, all caps words that feed their emotions like a drug.

The OP is staying somewhat detached emotionally for a reason. He see's there is a need for us to "relax", to take a breath.
He is fully aware of the disasters coming and the one's that are here. Thats obvious.
Omiting colorful flashing dooming words and not mixing those damning words with energy draining emotions enables him to think clearly, to be on the lookout without seeing mirages.

Isn't that the way the media is suppose to report the news?

As for me, I'm tired of running in circles with the other sheeples, crying, and frankly, being useless.

If you MUST damn the OP, so be it, Ripley took on ugly stinky monsters before and lived to tell about it
(jk)

This post was written IMHO.

I wish you all peace

[edit on 12-5-2010 by sweetliberty]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Originally posted by sweetliberty

It seems like the gloomers are going to explode because they aren't reading terminal, horrific, loud, all caps words that feed their emotions like a drug.

This post seems like it's from a sock puppet or a really, really good friend....

Just kidding...

Originally posted by sweetliberty
The OP is staying somewhat detached emotionally for a reason.

Yes, I see what you mean....

...don't just be sheeple running off the cliff with everyone else.

You gloomers is why laugh tracks work :dn

Kalifornia

I am seriously surprised they haven't taken a bird and dipped it in a five gallon bucket of oil just to have a story.

save the drama for your mama

waaaaa

yes, yes, you're right, there is bids and fish flopping all over the coastline right now gasping for a breath of clean air. oil is lapping the beaches, fishermen are begging in the streets, dogs and cats sleeping together, it is the end, the end I tell you! zombies are running up and down the streets!!!! run!!! run!!!

Maybe I am gay? ever thought of that ...smart guy?

gloomers who use only feelings to back up their clams.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by loam]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
++++ UPDATE+++++

FINALLY RELEASED. VIDEO OF LEAKING PIPE:

news.yahoo.com...

I am sorry to lend ANY credibilty to this thread but felt this is worth getting out!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Fair Warning to Everyone Participating in this thread, including the OP. Please refrain from personal attacks, discuss without attacks.. Stop with the one liners and off topic remarks.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
More erroneous information from this thread.

From the link found there:

There are a little over 7 barrels of petroleum in a metric ton. (Link.)

So according to the BBC chart, at the top end, Deepwater has only spilled 70,000 barrels of oil.

Clearly that is wrong.

Even at the most conservative estimate of 5000 barrels per day, as we are in day 20 of this disaster, we are already talking about 100,000 barrels-- 30,000 more than the chart. Moreover, if the 25000 barrels per day number is correct (many, many other sources argue even higher numbers), then we are talking about 500,000 barrels of oil-- 430,000 more than the chart.

Nice job, BBC.

I am not taking sides here, just pointing out that your own figures (500,000 barrels of oil) works out to say 72,000 tonnes which puts it at much less than Sea Star. Agreed the BBC figure would appear to be wrong, but you have just confirmed the OPs contention that (at least so far) this is not by any means the worst.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

The leak began April 22nd...so it has been leaking for 20 Days.

BP execs are now saying it "could" be leaking 60k barrells a day.

BP execs...not the media...given how damning the 60k number is I doubt they would cop to it unless they were fairly sure that was how much oil is leaking.

60kx20 days equals 1.2 Million Barrells thus far.

That puts them at roughly 171,400 tons thus far...roughly the 6th largest spill in history as of today.

In a week they will take 4th place.

In 3 weeks they will tale 2nd place.

AND in the 3 months they estimate it will take to drill a relief well...

6.5 million barrels...roughly 1 Million metric tons, doubling the largest spill on record.

Note that they have tried the "dome soultuion" twice and failed...I suspect it is nothing more than show and the final solution will be the relief well, 3 months out.

All of the numbers above do not account for the gulf being a psuedo confined/contained aquatic system with heavily populated shores heavily dependant on the coast for tourism and food....as opposed to spills in sparsely populated areas.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Lets agree on the 60k barrels. 1 barrel = 42 gallons.

between these two incidents a total of 227 million gallons (5 million,446 thousand, 761 barrels)were dumped into the Gulf. This occured in approximately 46 days.

June 3, Gulf of Mexico: exploratory oil well Ixtoc 1 blew out, spilling an estimated 140 million gallons of crude oil into the open sea. Although it is one of the largest known oil spills, it had a low environmental impact.
July 19, Tobago: the Atlantic Empress and the Aegean Captain collided, spilling 46 million gallons of crude. While being towed, the Atlantic Empress spilled an additional 41 million gallons off Barbados on Aug. 2.

At our current rate of leakage we would need to leak for 90 days to EQUAL the size of those incidents.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I disagree with the OP, but im also not going as far as others in saying the world will never be the same, greatest disaster ever etc etc just going to keep following the story and see where it goes. Not getting hysterical about it.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Originally posted by PuterMan
....just pointing out that your own figures (500,000 barrels of oil) works out to say 72,000 tonnes which puts it at much less than Sea Star.

Such comparisons would make sense if the current situation was all that would be expected. That is clearly not the case. We are only in day 20 of this disaster.

At a minimum, we likely have another 90 days to go. That puts the number at least around 2.2 million or roughly 312,000 tonnes. And there is little guarantee 90 days is the magic number.

The number 1 slot currently occupied by Oxtoc 1, a situation very similar to the present crisis, took 9 months to cap!

At 9 months, and assuming a constant flow rate, Deepwater will have spilled well over 6.6 million barrels of oil or just under 1 million tonnes of oil.

Originally posted by PuterMan
...but you have just confirmed the OPs contention that (at least so far) this is not by any means the worst.

Emphasis supplied..

As I have already pointed out, "so far" is a meaningless comparison when the crisis is clearly in progress and no clear end is in sight for the immediate future.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
im also not going as far as others in saying the world will never be the same, greatest disaster ever etc etc just going to keep following the story and see where it goes. Not getting hysterical about it.

Actually you seem to agree with me completely
or me with you.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Look at the latest NASA pictures [url=http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov and tell me this is not something to worry about. I am not saying its the end of the world but if left for 3 months Im tipping it might be the end of the gulf.
And as for one spill verses another I think we should be looking at the combined total and amount of lose and not seeing these as singular events.
The Earth is a fragile ecosystem and not in favor of sustaining a oil greedy society such as the one we currently have.
I dont think BP was thinking about taking all that oil out as fast as its gushing out at the moment and therefore have no idea of the future effects this is likely to have on the gulf and surrounding area.
Still when the oil is thrown inland soon the exec's are going to deny all responsibility.
Very sad state of affairs.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

reply to post by maybereal11

Lets agree on the 60k barrels. 1 barrel = 42 gallons.

between these two incidents a total of 227 million gallons (5 million,446 thousand, 761 barrels)were dumped into the Gulf. This occured in approximately 46 days.

June 3, Gulf of Mexico: exploratory oil well Ixtoc 1 blew out, spilling an estimated 140 million gallons of crude oil into the open sea. Although it is one of the largest known oil spills, it had a low environmental impact.
July 19, Tobago: the Atlantic Empress and the Aegean Captain collided, spilling 46 million gallons of crude. While being towed, the Atlantic Empress spilled an additional 41 million gallons off Barbados on Aug. 2.

At our current rate of leakage we would need to leak for 90 days to EQUAL the size of those incidents.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

In as much as we agree that..

(1) You are lumping two spills together to find a large enough number to compare this spill too..

(2) The first occured in the Gulf of Mexico...the second happened 4000 miles away off the coast of Venezuela...Roughly the distance between Louisana and Canada..

(3) They happened a month and a half apart...

If we can agree with those geographic and time related facts then, yes, you may happily twist logic to suit your case any way you like and lump those spills together and treat them as a comparison for the singular spill in the Gulf off the coast of Louisana...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Gulf Spill Could Be Much Worse Than Believed

New data obtained by NPR show that oil gushing out of the Deepwater Horizon pipe on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico is at least 10 times the U.S. Coast Guard's estimate.

The Coast Guard estimated that oil was gushing out at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day following the April 20 BP rig explosion that killed 11 people. But sophisticated scientific analysis of seafloor video made available Wednesday gives a figure closer to 70,000 barrels a day. That's the equivalent of one Exxon Valdez tanker every four days.

The 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster spilled nearly 11 million gallons of oil in Alaska's Prince William Sound.

I'm getting more "relaxed" by the day.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Holy %$&#!!! That's very close to 3 MILLION gallons a day. This means 60 million gallons of oil has gushed into the gulf already. It will only take another 26 days to about equal the (SINGLE) worst spill.

And they estimate it will take 90 days? That will be almost 270 million gallons.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Hopefully OP has allready regret what he stated. Your attitude to this matter is dredfull.

I pretend i didn't hear this and keep my respect for you...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks
Let me guess, you work for BP? You've been on hear since May 3rd spewing disinfo about the spill.

What's your agenda?

yes, yes, disinfo backed up by facts and links UNLIKE the gloomers who use only feelings to back up their clams.

So is this you finally answering that you do indeed work for BP?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Thought ya'll might be interested in this, I just heard about it on our local news. The University of Texas Energy Institute is hosting a webcast for the public going over all the aspects of the oil spill. It starts at 10:00 AM CST til 12:00 CST.

“Oil in Troubled Waters” Public Forum to Examine the Cause, Consequences and Cost of Spill in the Gulf

streamer.beg.utexas.edu...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

From what planet do you come from?

I suggest you take a nice littler stroll on the coast of Louisiana and the Florida keys where the oil goo is now reaching the coast. . .

Is going to take decades for Florida coast to clean the mess and the toxins to leave the water.

This is the biggest ecological disaster of this century so far. . .

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join