It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting your feet dirty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
NWO advanced guard - spying on your enemy

According to wikipedia:

"VHF (Very high frequency) is the radio frequency range from 30 MHz to 300 MHz. Frequencies immediately below VHF are denoted High frequency (HF), and the next higher frequencies are known as Ultra high frequency (UHF)."

As far as my knowledge of military secret radio communication goes they seem to employ AM mode of VHF and UHF radio transmitters...

Anyone knows what brand transmitters / receivers are best?

Any good online stores? Or land stores in UK?

Are we a allowed to buy VHF radios ??

What about antenas, can i construct external antena to amp the signal?

Any help much appreciated

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Freeman]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
You waited 7 years to ask this question?
military air band scanners

I have a frequency list as well, but I don't publish frequencies used at Groom Lake.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
"Most military airbases use trunked repeaters. Groom Lake is no exception, though it is a digital and perhaps encrypted. [When you hear terms like Astro or Pro-voice, these are digital audio formats that may or may not be encrypted. Don't assume digital means encryption.] If you plan on monitoring military bases as well as Red Flag, you will need a scanner capable of trunking. "

what is trunking? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Conventional radio systems put the user on a specific frequency. For instance the ground units at Nellis are on 148.1MHz NFM (narrow FM). An agency would have several of these conventional radio repeater systems. In order to save spectrum and squander money, trunk radio was created. In a trunk radio system, one of the frequencies is assigned to a control channel. The remaining frequencies are allocated to the "trunk", and are assigned by the computer running the control channel. The control channel is digital, while the remaining channels could be voice (NFM) or digital (APCO-25 for instance).

The trunk users no longer have a specific frequency to use, but rather they use frequencies in the trunk. The user participates in a "talk group". For instance, there would be a talk group for security. Each radio had a unique ID, so when some idiot steals the radio, the site administrator can lock it out. This also makes it harder for some outsider to spoof on the system. (On a conventional radio system, you could declare yourself Adam-12 and the dispatcher might fall for it!)

There Nevada Test Site set up a networked trunk radio system with several sites, where a site is a simple trunk system with the ability to talk to the other sites. Nellis AFB became a user of this system, having a range of talk groups assigned to it. The NTS system is P-16, which without going into much detail uses a slow data channel and APCO P-25 on the voice channel (also called Astro). Some of the users on the system have encryption. [Technically a P-25 system has a 9600bps data channel, while the P-16 data channel is 3600bps IIRC.) Nellis just ordered new radios for the NTS system with AES-256 encryption.

In addition to the NTS trunk radio system, there is a multi-site EDACS trunk radio system on the Nellis range. It uses DES encryption based on the opinion of a radio dealer I contacted, though most of the websites say it is ProVoice. This EDACS system also has one site at Nellis AFB, and a site at Basecamp. IIRC, the TTR has both systems available to it, though the NTS system is coming from a repeater at the radar site in Tonopah rather than being on-site. The Groom system can't be monitored, presuming it really is DES encrypted. The NTS system can be monitored on several scanners from either Radio Shack or Uniden.

Both trunk systems are in the federal 400MHZ band (roughly 406 to 420 MHz).

Most "visitors" to the range monitor the VHF and UHF aviation bands. These signals are mostly in the clear, but some planes use "Have Quick", a type of encryption. The list I provided in the other message covers the radio capable of UHF aviation, a band left out of many scanners.

Digital trunking scanners are expensive ($400 or so, maybe $250 used). Military UHF capable scanners are easy to find used for $60 to $100. While some people try to use one scanner to cover everything, you really should have several scanners that cover conventional VHF/UHF frequencies. There is simpy too much activity in the range. During Red Flag, you would park one scanner on the AWACS, run another on air to air frequencies, a third on the ground frequencies, etc. There is talk of the ground units going to the NTS system, which might be related to the Nellis request for a few new radios.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
has it ever occured to ya that nothing interesting is going on at the "conventional" or famous historic military bases such as A 51...

Now... the real charm (i feel like scooby doo) is in cracking myserious hidden/unknown bases and what not, that are in remote unknown un popualted areas... i found a military base while driving to a camp site in the country, it wasnt very big, and it wasnt famous at all (no online articles) but at such places, things are cooking

And i also doubt such places use encrypted/trunked radio communication

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Freeman]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeman

Since Area 51 is expanding, I am certain something is going on there.

If you look at the title of this forum, it includes "other facilities." So where is this new place. If you are not going to say where it is, why bother mentioning it?

Cops, DoD, whatever, are not stupid. They understand comsec. So you are not going to hear anything on a radio they don't want you to hear, even at your so-called secret base.

top topics

join